Xz's 3ft High tech + low tech nano experiments - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 738Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post

What are you thinking of putting in the place of the Staurogyne repens?
Hee thanks! I'm thinking of either Limnophilia Vietnam, or maybe blxya; the long leaves would be a better contrast and blxya has a yellowish/reddish tinge, which I prefer to staurogyne's green in this case. Just got hands on some new rocks and can't resist tweaking the hardscape as well. I removed the medium left rock and replanted the entire mid. I realized that my foreground was unnecessarily large, and thus intend to push out the mid, with some additional layers for added complexity. Replanted the arcuata at the back to match the growth rates of the now-redone mid ground. Will post pics when the dust has settled.

Another thing that I realized along the way is that the variegated AR gets quite large. Not sure to force-prune it to be smaller or limit it to only perhaps a couple of stalks on the left side.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 10-25-2014 at 12:15 AM. Reason: stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Experimenting with AR mini in the low tech setting:

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
This thread was very enjoyable. I like your plant usage and how your tank has evolved over time. Very nice work.

On another note, I'm very interested in your low-tech tanks. I'm sure other members are curious as to how you created the low-tech tanks as well. Maybe create a new journal?

post #34 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love your 47g. The composition and plants health is as good as it gets. Well done mate!

post #35 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
On another note, I'm very interested in your low-tech tanks. I'm sure other members are curious as to how you created the low-tech tanks as well. Maybe create a new journal?
Hmm I should do this, been a bit tardy in keeping track of the low tech tanks. I think the setup matters quite a bit, because there are fewer factors to manipulate in a low tech setup, but I also wanted to do a bit more experimentation before giving recommendations to people; so I've been trying on tanks with slightly different dimensions and soils.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #36 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
All these tanks are so nice looking. I have a question about the Ludwigia sp red in the 47 gal. How do you keep it so small? I understand it's probably not that way all the time, just looking for any tips in general on how to prune L species. Mine get so out of control! Do you just re-plant the tops on a regular basis, or what exactly? Thanks.

post #37 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for stopping by! Hmm It's a combination of trimming off the tops to a height that I want, and pre-emptively pinching/cutting off tips that start to grow towards a direction that I don't want it spreading to. For L. sp red, the rooted stem is quite strong if its healthy, and the top can be trimmed off repeated; side shoots sprout fast. The whole bunch in the 47g are branches that come off from about 4 mother stems that root into the substrate. I felt that the trimming for the L. sp red is actually poorly done in the pics compared to the L. Arcuata; it can be contoured in a very exact manner, but I must have missed it when I took this set of pics.

About every 4 months I allow the current batch to grow longer, then do a replanting of tops (where the top node to bottom has no branching).

I think that trimming and allowing side shoots to sprout allows more self-organization (because the plant will grow in a way that doesn't shade itself that much), it makes for a neater, denser bush. Replanting tops kinda resets the plant form to be competitive against surrounding plants. In the search for neater tanks I've been doing alot more pruning and almost no replanting for tops (until after many months). Just a theory based on observation though. It seems to apply to other plants as well. The effect is most apparent in the Ludwigia arcuata (orange background bush); where the dense bush must be achieved through trimming and allowing the side shoots to self-organize to fill up the space. If I just grabbed a bunch of them and planted them side by side, they'll grow in a vertical competitive manner instead of spreading out. I've been wanting to do a video to demonstrate this (because people don't seem to talk about it much) , so I've replanted the entire middle of the tank (start from scratch with sparse stems) and pruned it into a bush like in the pics over the past few weeks. The bushes have grown back in over the past month though, so in a week or so I'll finish my video.

Using an older set of pics to illustrate:
When background stems are planted individually, abeit densely... they each struggle to outgrow the neighbour:

After allowing it to grow out further, before doing a very aggressive trim:

After it has grown out; with self-organization with respect to neighbouring plants:

I know you were asking about L. sp red. But the pruning technique is similar, except that Sp red spreads sideways quite abit more than L. Arcuata. I'm thinking of trying a large pruned sp. Red background for the next tank though Hmm...

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #38 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

That last post was very useful information. You right, people don't really talk about this but I think it's the secret to make a "good" tank "great". I would love to see a video demonstrate along with a time lapse show the plant behaviors.

Great topic!
post #39 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 06:45 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
Great info man, thanks. Effective pruning for various looks is the main skill Im trying to learn right now, and you dont see the finer points discussed very often. I never realized the part about side shoots re-growing in a non-competitive manner, but it makes perfect sense (and is obvious now that I know what Im seeing) I look forward to your video on the subject.

post #40 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Dude, that was one of the most helpful posts on pruning I've ever seen.

And I've never overly thought about it but it seems like it's make sense. I take it as well that using side shoots as opposed to replanting tops would also serve to make trimming easier, as if the plant isn't becoming multiple competing plants it probably does not grow upwards as much or shade everything ever right?

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #41 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Dude, that was one of the most helpful posts on pruning I've ever seen.

And I've never overly thought about it but it seems like it's make sense. I take it as well that using side shoots as opposed to replanting tops would also serve to make trimming easier, as if the plant isn't becoming multiple competing plants it probably does not grow upwards as much or shade everything ever right?
Thanks man, yeah that's what I think happens. Even downoi exhibits this in an interesting manner. However, depending on how the plant growth shoots form, not all are suitable for pruning into dense bush form. Rotala rotundifolia/wallichi, Hemianthus glomeratus, Ludwigia arcuata/brevipes, Limnophila aromatic/vietnam are some examples of plants suitable for dense background bushes. Ludwigia repens is one of the worst; it grows wide and open with large flattish leaves. Some others like Rotala macrandra/Ludwigia pantanal prefer to be unshaded, and doesn't form alot of side shoots (and look nicer with a single large shoot).

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #42 of 383 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

I agree about L. Repens. They just don't cooporate, ever! lol
post #43 of 383 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The first video of the trimming/pruning series is done; for you guys reading these posts there is nothing new... I think. I just transferred the info here into video format; the actual trimming vid will be done probably within these 2 weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSngM7OVpPc

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #44 of 383 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 AM
10G
Algae Grower

Beautiful tanks dude, great vid on how to prune background plants.

post #45 of 383 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:19 AM
Algae Grower

Great thread. Some very good information here. Will be revisiting when I setup a low tech tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode