Xz's 3ft High tech + low tech nano experiments - Page 24 - The Planted Tank Forum
 630Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #346 of 360 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Right algae is not caused by high par. Strictly a nutrient issue. Learned this in reef keeping for the past 30 years.
cl3537 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 360 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:54 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Nice pics. I was skeptical you had that much light since those T5s have one reflector for all bulbs (right?) instead of individual ones. I was thinking you were probably in the 120-150 range tops, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
Slow growing buceps under 200ish umols of PAR... so high light itself doesn't cause algae, which is more tied to overall tank cleanliness, stable parameters and good plant health than anything else.

Thats the truth! Happy plants in clean conditions just dont get algae. These at the surface under about 400, clean as a whistle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #348 of 360 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
hm, tempted to bump PAR to 200+ at sub now, currently at 173~174 ish.

post #349 of 360 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Slow growing buceps under 200ish umols of PAR... so high light itself doesn't cause algae, which is more tied to overall tank cleanliness, stable parameters and good plant health than anything else. So when folks debate whether 50 umols of PAR or 80 umols of PAR make a difference in algae in their tank, I kinda just shake my head.
But here's the thing.

Many folks do not have an uber clean stable tank full of healthy plants.

Crank up the light to those levels in those tanks and it's a perfect recipe for algae.

So while it's not necessarily the high light causing the algae, in less than perfect conditions it sure can turbo charge it.

------------------
post #350 of 360 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
But here's the thing.

Many folks do not have an uber clean stable tank full of healthy plants.

Crank up the light to those levels in those tanks and it's a perfect recipe for algae.

So while it's not necessarily the high light causing the algae, in less than perfect conditions it sure can turbo charge it.
Most definitely. And having more light may not bring much improvement to most tanks.

One other hidden benefit I guess is that it gives quick feedback - if you did something wrong, algae is fast to let you know. Whereas in slow tanks (I think that's why less experienced folks have problems diagnosing issues in low tech tanks) - there is a lot of lag time between action and plant growth changes. So if X plant dies today, it may not be what was done yesterday that caused it, but what was done the week before.

To this end - using soil/substrate feeding - there is also a longer lag time than water column feeding impact on plants (roots take a week or 2 to settle in), so diagnosing issues is more tricky unless you keep records or have a very good memory, experience.

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

post #351 of 360 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Side shot
Getting a bit messy, far too many species probably, but different folks keep asking me to test stuff, so I guess the farm tank is fulfilling its destiny

Greggz, burr740, LRJ and 7 others like this.

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

post #352 of 360 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Planted Member

Looks like a Beautiful mess to me
Xiaozhuang likes this.
post #353 of 360 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love all that variety. Doesn't look messy to me, it looks like a natural aquatic wilderness. Such lovely colors, too.
Xiaozhuang likes this.

Old-Timer Guppy Lover
Low-Tech Nano Aquarium
Anubias nana Petite
Bucephalandra Mini - Several Types
Fissidens Fontanus
Trident Java Fern
Red Root Floaters
post #354 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Side shot
Getting a bit messy, far too many species probably, but different folks keep asking me to test stuff, so I guess the farm tank is fulfilling its destiny

I hope you don't mind me asking what do you have under that course sand?
I am considering just using coarse sand for a low maintenance scape. Are there any plants that just won't grow in it? Will Osmocote still work as well in course sand as in Aquasoil or fine sand.
post #355 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking what do you have under that course sand?
I am considering just using coarse sand for a low maintenance scape. Are there any plants that just won't grow in it? Will Osmocote still work as well in course sand as in Aquasoil or fine sand.
This tank is using aquasoil?

In the other tank with sand I have topsoil, osmocote below it. Osmocote works better in soils than sand, as ammonia binds to soil, not sand. If you are dependent on substrate feeding for plants, sand is no substitute for soil. (Hence the usage of aquasoils; else everyone would have just saved cost and gone sand + root tabs)

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

post #356 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
This tank is using aquasoil?
I can't see the bottom of the substrate as you zoomed in on the photo, what I was asking if there was anything under the sand, I just did a new scape https://i.imgur.com/tnWkvwQ.jpg with only sand and for plant choice was just wondering if there were some plants that won't grow well in the sand with only water column fertilization.
post #357 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
I can't see the bottom of the substrate as you zoomed in on the photo, what I was asking if there was anything under the sand, I just did a new scape https://i.imgur.com/tnWkvwQ.jpg with only sand and for plant choice was just wondering if there were some plants that won't grow well in the sand with only water column fertilization.
Should have gone for Vin's talk at AGA... Many species (Lythraceae family) grow much better with root than water column feeding.

Bump: Setup a a test tank to check out a new light system (Maxlite) life aqua, and also some new aquascaping tools/construction foam for building up rock hardscape.

As with ADA RGB this too has high red/green saturation

For folks interested in the fertilizer mix I use on my tanks, they are now selling on Amazon under APT complete (lean dosing version) / Estimative index in a bottle (EI version)
Greggz, burr740, LRJ and 5 others like this.

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

post #358 of 360 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Algae Grower

Seen a lot of these tanks on Pinterest! So cool to see where the tanks are and who’s maintaining them.

YaBoiHunt
post #359 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Growing out mini-butterfly I got from Thailand. Seems similar to the ones I've seen in SG before so kinda disappointed.
Another interesting note, that I unfortunately do not have a picture for.... is that I've seen an attractive growth form of mini-butterfly when grown with low CO2, low water column nutrients, rich substrate, high light - it becomes very compact, almost no internodes, with leaves about half the size of the ones above. Interesting approach for slow growth/soil tanks.
Greggz, burr740, LRJ and 6 others like this.

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

post #360 of 360 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Older update...
Went to AGA and did a scape demo. Their time allocation was rather tight so had to rush. Took around 3hrs for the hardscape and another hour or so to plant.
Luckily they gave a set of rocks that are quite aesthetic.
Somewhat happy with the result I think - a lot of glue work to get the rocks angled right.
I prepared even my own cosmetic sand - thinking that they would have lacked that... and I was right.

BV carpet the new in-thing eh.... it occupies the weird slot of being high requirement, low maintenance plants

Osmocote ... lol

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 06-17-2019 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added pics

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode