Xz's 3ft High tech + low tech nano experiments - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 739Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 04:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
Send them back man. I think they do exchanges; at least the customer service is good, and the fixtures do produce a lot of PAR. Personally, I find even the dutch too cool (hence the supplementary warm white CFL).
Their customer service was good with Cara reading the BML forum until recently. I ordered my light with the hanging kit but the kit was missing the ceiling mount adapter. I mentioned it to Cara and emailed BML. Cara said she would send one to me right away. BML never emailed me back. That was over 3 weeks ago.

Now Cara is not responding anymore, including the private email I sent her. Since I already mounted my light using Homedepot stuff, I just figured I might not buy from them again. Maybe they are going out of business.

20G Low tech
67G High tech
ADA 60P Starting/Holding tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo98102 View Post
Now Cara is not responding anymore...maybe they are going out of business.
I doubt that. BML just launched a new product line 2 weeks ago. Maybe Cara left the company?
post #18 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
I doubt that. BML just launched a new product line 2 weeks ago. Maybe Cara left the company?
I thought that they were moving to a larger facility or something ?

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
Looks awesome as hell man!!! Great work. I agree with your low tech methods. Exactly what I am hoping for with the S. repens carpet-which should be easy, easy plant. I once had a glosso carpet in a high tech tank and a low tech tank. Dirt with occasional fert dosing is great, I still prefer Aquasoil with Osmocote Plus pellets in the substrate. Either way, they both work. Right now I don't do anything to my low tech except pluck the occasional old or dying leaf and do bi monthly water changes. Super easy and fun tank to maintain. Your high tech tank is looking outstanding! Thanks for sharing man.
Thanks for coming by man. Aquasoil is unbeatable if you don't consider the price, which can get quite big if doing larger size tanks. I remember you saying in your earlier vids that you don't favor it, and I thought hmm I wonder how long it'll take for him to come around haa

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 383 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Send them back man. I think they do exchanges; at least the customer service is good, and the fixtures do produce a lot of PAR. Personally, I find even the dutch too cool (hence the supplementary warm white CFL).
+1

I just got a dutch XB / 10000K planted combo and I immediately returned the 10000K. Wayyyy too cool. The dutch looks amazing - can't wait til I get the second one.

They should have no problem honoring your return unless it has been a while - just pay shipping.

post #21 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Some more pics of the small tank after pruning

This is the L. Arcuata portion of the large tank after pruning: The bones/stems are shaped to 2 small hills as I felt 1 patch was monotonous. Will post pics after it has grown out again.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #22 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Side project: Green wall lit by BML leds (bottom panel), and MH (vertical panel)

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #23 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sweet wall!

|
|
post #24 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
That wall is SWEET! Also, I don't know if I said this yet.. but both of your tanks are gorgeous. The layout of the 47g is perfect with the variety of colors and stems, especially the red blotches! Nice job.

Is the wall in your house?! Also, how many CPD do you have? They seem pretty comfortable.. I noticed they are hanging around the middle-top of the tank within your pictures. From what I gathered, they tend to shy towards the bottom layer of tanks.

~

Last edited by pewpewkittah; 10-20-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: 123
post #25 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Omg please give details on your plant wall like how you set it up. Are they growing in planters or on a mesh? and full plant list.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #26 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
We need some updates dude! Maybe a video?

Keep your sleeves wet!
post #27 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewkittah View Post
That wall is SWEET! Also, I don't know if I said this yet.. but both of your tanks are gorgeous. The layout of the 47g is perfect with the variety of colors and stems, especially the red blotches! Nice job.

Is the wall in your house?! Also, how many CPD do you have? They seem pretty comfortable.. I noticed they are hanging around the middle-top of the tank within your pictures. From what I gathered, they tend to shy towards the bottom layer of tanks.
Thanks man, the red AR minis are really performing ha. The CPDs do tend to be more shy, at least at the start. I find that mine tends to cluster at the surface when they sense you're gonna feed them. If I mess around the tank very regularly, pruning etc, it makes them more shy also. If water parameters are off, they become much less active quickly. So quite sensitive in that sense. I have about 16 of them in the tank, along with about 10 micro rasboras as dither fish. I think rising to the surface may not be the most natural thing for them, as they usually pick around the mid/bottom, so nowadays I try to feed them sinking stuff that hits the mid/lower regions to not disrupt their natural tendencies so much.

The wall is a fabric with pockets sewed into it; with a drip system with timer at the top that waters the entire wall twice a day, the water drips off at the bottom into a trough that flows into the drain. The pockets are filled with soil/peat and the fabric wall is mounted onto a steel grid for structural integrity. We had the contractor do most of the construction together with the rest of the apartment. Its basically a vertical terrarium I guess; and for a start we chose hardier plants that can creep and attach onto the fabric (The one with heart shaped leaves is the common money plant, the longer leaved ones with white edges is Chlorophytum bichetii, and there is also some sygonium mixed in). Might introduce some colors etc when I get a better sense of how well the system is working. Has been running for about 3 months now and I've done quite a bit of pruning to keep it even. The fabric wall can get a bit unsightly if exposed, but dense planting hides it quite well. Compared to planters, a fabric wall with pockets is flatter, but only allow smaller plants. Its flatter and lighter construction is easier/less costly to mount than having a frame for larger planters . The watering system is also relatively simple; water drips quite evenly through the fabric background from the top. I think if larger planters were used, each horizontal panel may need its own drip system.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 10-21-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: stuff
post #28 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
We need some updates dude! Maybe a video?
Haa I do have a description vid, if you don't mind my odd accent at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWdlaz16RI

I'm thinking of changing out the staurogyne repens for something else though, so maybe that'll be a major update. Else stuff looks quite the same except more grown in; and the bushes are quite big by now.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #29 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
Haa I do have a description vid, if you don't mind my odd accent at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWdlaz16RI

I'm thinking of changing out the staurogyne repens for something else though, so maybe that'll be a major update. Else stuff looks quite the same except more grown in; and the bushes are quite big by now.
Great video. This tank is one of my favorites on this site. I really like everything about it.

What are you thinking of putting in the place of the Staurogyne repens?

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #30 of 383 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
The large tank looks great! My next set up will probably be inspired by this.

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode