20 Gallon Low Tech Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 Gallon Low Tech Cube

It's been a long journey but now I've come full circle. I started about 3 years ago with a 30 gallon planted hexagon tank -had all sorts of trouble with algae...converted that to saltwater seahorse setup, started a 90 gallon saltwater mixed reef....and am now setting up a 20 gallon planted goldfish tank.

I have a few simple goals:

a) I want a bright cheery tank.
b) I want low maintenance
c) I want this tank to be low budget.

I know goldfish are not easy on plants so I will first try various mosses and anubias and onion plants. Hopefully the goldies (I'm looking for 2 butterflies) will not mow those down.

As for substrate-is a plant substrate very important with the above plant selection? I'm thinking not since they are not really root growers. I'd like to use white sand with white river rock over it for a nice bright substrate. I then plan on putting in a couple of chunks of dark brown/black slate for color contrast and maybe a piece of driftwood.

My lighting will probably be spiral fluorescents. I will need to make a canopy for this tank as it is an odd dimension (15.5w x 19.5l x 16h).

Where do you all purchase your rock? I see some beautiful pieces in your tanks, do you get them at rock sellers or LFS?

Carolyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:11 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
why are you using goldfish? you need to have a creative fish to fit the creative shape and lets face it, goldies are just plain boring...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

LOL -I have had all sorts of fish in the last several years - I had angels and bettas, then to sw with seahorses, clowns, tangs, lionfish...and you know what? I haven't had a goldfish since I was a kid. They come in some gorgeous colors and shapes...don't cost an arm and a leg...are hardy...are easy to find...do I need any other reasons lol? Heck I may even graduate to a pond next year!

Maybe for excitement I'll add some coris or a gold nugget pleco...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Anti iwagumi

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
You'll get the goldfish police on your back if you want to keep more than 1 in a 20g.

I get my rocks at a landscaping yard. Some are better than others.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My first issue with this tank is it has a standpipe and bulkhead on the bottom. I plan on using a fluval canister with this tank, would you try to use the bulkhead and standpipe or cut them out and try to patch. If I leave the standpipe I have to figure out how to disguise it. Thoughts?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Anti iwagumi

a hollowed out rock looking thing with screen in the back? i think ive seen it done that way before...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode