a 15 year old's 55 gallon journal!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb a 15 year old's 55 gallon journal!!!

alright...so ive had aquariums going for about 2 years now...ive bred electric yellow cichlids from lake malawi...i have a 55 gallon planted which was my first real planted tank and its doing great...(30 watts, no co2, and two whisper 30-60's on it... the plants are thriving!) and i have a 55 gallon malawi cichlid tank...the fish are starting to out grow it...so im gonna sell the fish in it and set up a freakin nice 55 gallon discus tank...so here is the plan...

ive already started the canopy for it, im gonna have probably 75 watts over it im just gonna buy a few probably 4 of those 10 gallon walmart (dont get angry at me for buying a few things from wal-mart...im only buying the lights and thats it...) and take those fixtures off the hoods and screw them into my canopy that im building...im gonna buy 15 watt 6700k life-glo bulbs for the fixtures...

alright...here is gonna be the interesting part...im gonna build a sump for it...i know it sounds wierd on a planted 55 gallon but its gonna make my life so much easier...plus probably keep the water more clean...im gonna have one of my old ten gallons in the stand that im gonna build...probably 300 gph exchange between the main tank and the sump...im still working all the kinks out of the sump but im hoping its gonna work...

i havent decided what plants yet but im hoping to have it medium-heavily stocked...probably seachem flourite black or reg...im not sure yet...hopefully a big piece of manzanita...

as for fish...my plan was 4 or 5 discus, 1-3 german blue rams, 2 ottos, 20 neon tetra, 3 yoyo loaches, and a partrige in a pear tree haha...anyways

so thats my rough outline of my 55 gallon planted discus tank...if u see any changes or problems that could be fixed please feel free to share them with me cuz im all ears...im guessing this will cost roughly around $400-$500

G-mont all the way!

55 gal planted, 10 gallon electric yellow cichlid fry tank (gone), 18 gal electric yellow cichlid mouth brooder holding tank (gone), and soon to be a 55 gallon pimpin discus tank (workin on it)!

my journal link:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92% of teens have switched to rap music- if your part of the other 8%, add this to you're signature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Sumps tend to out-gas CO2 from a planted tank. I'm guessing that you're not going with pressurized CO2, since your lighting is only barely over 1wpg.

Keep in mind, with only 75 watts over a 55 gallon tank, your choice of plants to grow are limited. I'm curious as to what you're growing in your 55 gal with only 30 watts of light?

Regarding your stock list, I'd get more otos than 2. They're low bio load and cute when they school. I'd go with 3 rams, so you have more chance of getting a pair, if you ever plan on breeding them, that is.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
you still can grow a lot of plants with that ligh i do.i grow swords,hygro,ferns,vals and so forth

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

you would be amazed by what im growing under 30 watts...i got 12 or 13 swords, cork vals, java ferns,and a bit of java moss...oh and no my plan is to keep co2 out of the question...yes! ottos are awesome...i have one lonely one in my 55 planted and its been with me for 1 1/2 years! and i also have 3 rams in my current 55 also...what do u guys think about hybrids?...cuz one of my rams is a hybrid...i told the store owner once i got it home (i checked it out b4 i bought it and it still managed to sneek under my watch) and she said every once in awhile they get "angel rams"...ive never heard of them before personally... anyways...almost done with the canopy...just gotta varnish so the water doesnt warp and rot out the wood...and i gotta buy the lights and finish the light holders and top door thingy

G-mont all the way!

55 gal planted, 10 gallon electric yellow cichlid fry tank (gone), 18 gal electric yellow cichlid mouth brooder holding tank (gone), and soon to be a 55 gallon pimpin discus tank (workin on it)!

my journal link:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92% of teens have switched to rap music- if your part of the other 8%, add this to you're signature!
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

tomoro ill get a pic of my canopy and the current tanks that i have...

G-mont all the way!

my journal link:

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so sorry guys for the late pics...got too into the project and forgot...so here are some...i got the canopy semi-finished...all i have to do is install the lighting...i bought 2 bags of flourite black as the top layer and some sand from home depot as mid/bottom layer...also set up the sump...bought a pump for it...my plan for the pumping from the tank to the sump and back is pretty intricate...once i do it ill post some pics...wow did i just get side-tracked...anyways heres the pics of the canopy and sump...the second canopy pic is the finished product
sump from the top: (talk about diy haha)

sump from the side: ahh good old legos...

canopy in the making:

finished canopy:

sorry for the bad pic quality...cell phone camera of course...anyways im going to bed... i got school at 7 tomoro so i need some sleep...

G-mont all the way!

my journal link:

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

oh and the empty space in the sump is where the return pump will go...cya guys

G-mont all the way!

my journal link:

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
don't that many discus need more room than a 55g?

i know there are a lot of discus keepers around here somewhere...
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

uhhh i can fit 4-5 in there...most likely leaning toward the #4... and i buy them around 2-3 inches and they take awhile to grow so

G-mont all the way!

my journal link:

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hello everyone...new update...got the substrate in and the pvc for the sump all glued got the canopy in place...and uhh yeah...am i doing good so far guys?...i dont wanna get like three fourths of the way done and then one of u come in and say "that thing u said on page one isnt gonna work"...that would make my day

G-mont all the way!

my journal link:

post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

wow...so i went to palm desert to see some relatives and they had a few manzanita bushes or whatever they are on their property...so i asked if i could have some so i got (7) 3-4 footers...they r sooo perfect...im planning on sellin the other 6 but this is the one i kept for myself...here she is...idk if u guys will like it but i do

im gonna cover up the saw cut spot on the end with a lava rock probably

G-mont all the way!

my journal link:

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

next is plants and background so we dont see the pvc...

G-mont all the way!

my journal link:

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:18 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Dude, legos? lol, your my hero. That wood is freakin' awesome too

-Chris

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

haha...whats a 15 year old to do with all his unused legos? use on an aquarium of course!!! haha but yeah it works great...

G-mont all the way!

my journal link:

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:32 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Have any mazantia twigs smaller than 4 feet that would fit in a usps box? haha

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode