So, I have decided to finally start a journal on my tank, as it is finally starting to look like something I would show someone. I'll try to add some older photos too.
This tank started in May 2007 as a growout for a baby oscar I rescued. After a month I found a suitable home for the oscar and started my planted fiasco.
I made more than enough mistakes:
- I had bamboo in my tank, leaves exposes, still rotted quickly.
- Started with diy co2, but found it fluctuated so much it wasn't worth it. Took old kegerator reg from college days and used it. Works great. No solenoid to date.
- I have a cheap DIY light fixture. They are 24" t-12 20w bulbs with no refle
ctors. 80 watts. I have to upgrade these. It just isn't cutting it!
- I started with random plants from a now defunct LFS. The selection was dismal at best and the snail population was out of control!
I at one point have had: pool filter sand, shultz aquatic soil, espoma aquaitic soil, and now play sand mixed with gravel. I like this look the best, though I'm not sure my plants do!
- 80w T-12 lighting
- Pressurized co2 with clippard needle valve(being replaced by swagelok in picture below)
- Play sand, with some root tabs
- EI dosing for 20-40g tank.
- 2 HOB filters(1 penguin, 1 AC50)
- 1 Koralia N
ano, it helps with diffusing co2(done through glass diffuser)
Plants(to the best of my knowledge)
- 2 firemouth cichlids. Likely to go away.
- 6 Buenos Aires Tetras
- 1 Bloodfin(leftover from 2nd incarnation of this tank.)
- 2 Otos
- 3 Marble Cories
- 1 Clown Pleco
- Some MTS, a few ramshorns(look for more! Got any!?!?!)
- And soon to be 4 Drarf Crays from Miliac
- 2 Assorted Swords. 1 Is tiny, 1 is huge(just pruned back to pretty much nothing)
- 2 Variations of Vals
- Cryptocoryne balansae x 2
- Cryptocoryne lutea x1
- Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown' x1
- Cryptocoryne retrospiralis x1
- Cryptocoryne mioya x1
- A few other Crypts I'm not positive on.
- I have 2 Anubius Golden(though they are in fair to poor shape)
- A bunch of java Fern, and a few marimo balls.
- I have a few unidentified plants as well, though I'm sure I'll get some input once I tank proper pictures with something other than my Blackberry(my wife decided to use the Nikon as a soccer ball).
More pics will follow. Waiting for them to upload. Sorry for the lack of depth. Not a lot you can do with a blackberry 8330!
Battles I'm fighting currently:
GSA, Diatoms--on everything, some plants don't seem to like play sand, starting to rot away.
- How Do I fix GSA?
- What about the Diatoms? I'm using purigen now to try and help with them.
- How would you change the scape?
- I've had wood in it, but the wood pieces were less than spectacular. Would you add any wood?
- More or Less Rocks?
I also have a TON of anubius clippings growing emergent right now that will eventually make their way back into the tank.
Tips? Tricks? Critics? Questions? Fire away.