Blyxa, anyone? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Blyxa, anyone?

I just thought I'd post a quick pic of my expansive field of Blyxa japonica; most I've ever seen anyways. The tank is a month old now and obviously has a long way to go (not the least of which is the fact that the rest of the driftwood still hasn't sunk in the bin it is soaking in...). Should look real nice when stuff fills in and I add a new Blyxa sp. my buddy sent me that should show up tomorrow and a few other cool spp. I'm adding. Due to the Blyxa trio (alternifolius, aubertii, and japonica), I'm calling the tank "Eternal Blyx."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Is that a 75 mac? any close ups of the alternifolius?

Is that wisteria in the foreground? I have seen that done before. Looks very cool, but alot of work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah Glenn, it's a 75g (my 75g Mbuna tank > 55g Mbuna tank, which freed this one up). I'll post pics of the alternifolius once I get it. It looks like this. That's Ranunculus inundatus in the foreground, not Wisteria; "Lots of work" and "mac" don't go well together.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Added 8 ottos. Will be adding a school of tetras soon.

A week later photo update with better WB:
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
That looks great! Makes me hate the fact that I stunted the last wallichi that I had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I freakin' love this tank, mac. There's something simplistic in the design that makes it just sing, man....really nice work.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks MrJG and Cole. This is my first big tank, and it's been somewhat trying on me limiting the number of species with all the space I have to work with - I plan on cutting the number of species down yet further. Collectoritis and Aquascaping involve largely conflicting goals, and more often than not, less is more.
just:
B. auberti, angostifola, and japonica
C. balansae and retrospiralis
H. difformis 'variegated'
L. aromatica
L. brevipes
R. wallachi, indica and verticalaris
Ranunculus inundatus
and that lonely stem of Polygonum sp. 'Sao Paulo'

Oh, and the friggin rest of the friggin driftwood is still friggin floating. <sigh>

MrJ: Wallichii needs diligent dosing, especially iron, or it stunts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Gotcha. I put it in the tank a bit early i believe while I was still working out the fert regime and lighting (burst) periods. Looked great for a while and when it hit the wall it was a goner. I'm trying to work on stocking my tank (fauna) now or I'd be all over your swap & shop post.

I have a few stems of the Difformis 'variegated' as well. They seem to be getting very bold white coloration on the tops but not so much on the rest of the leaves. Have you found that this is the same case for you?

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
I have a few stems of the Difformis 'variegated' as well. They seem to be getting very bold white coloration on the tops but not so much on the rest of the leaves. Have you found that this is the same case for you?
Mine won't be arriving for a few weeks yet.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
very nicely done. I did something similar once with a 50 gal. I had a large piece of wood drowning in java fern on one side, the Blyxa in the middle, and Hygro 'compact' on the right. If I remember correctly, my Blyxa lawn stretched about 2 1/2 feet. My loaches loved the lawn as they could swim around freely underneath day or night and felt very comfortable.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks - it will be better when the Rotala verticalaris grows out - I've been cutting shoots and replanting for a month now and there are finally enough propagated to fill in the area I'd intended.

I could use a loach myself if it weren't for the aquisoil. Some plants I bought infected me with a few pond snails and now there are bajillions of them. The CO2 mist makes them float and I can scoop them out easy to feed to my Keyholes, but they are still annoying.

What do folks think about plain ol' Black Skirt Tetras for this tank? The plants have so much color that bright fish might be too much. I can get some of the long-finned variety for 85 cents a piece, which is nice...
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
all that blyxa looks awesome. and i like the black skirt tetra idea.

penguin tetras might also look really nice.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post

...I could use a loach myself if it weren't for the aquisoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
What do folks think about plain ol' Black Skirt Tetras for this tank? The plants have so much color that bright fish might be too much. I can get some of the long-finned variety for 85 cents a piece, which is nice...
Nicely done! Diamond Tetras would look sweet in there -- They tend to be kind of spendy though. Black Skirts are nice too, and 85 sounds very nice

No Pimp Club.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Very nice. I've got three B. japonica's placed about in my tank in a more minimalist style but that's a very nice carpet you got there. You're doing similar things to what I'm doing with the Ranunculus though. Cool stuff, eh?

---------
My tank:

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
You're doing similar things to what I'm doing with the Ranunculus though.
Is there anything else that can be done with it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode