My 1st planted tank. 40g breeder (Updated pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
My 1st planted tank. 40g breeder (Updated pics)

I've done reef tanks for ~8 years but it got way too expensive and time consuming, so I ended it. But I couldn't go without a fish tank of some sort...then I discovered the FW planted tank. Gotta say I really enjoy it. I feel like I can enjoy my tank without spending 10+hrs a week maintaining it.
As a matter of fact I already started a 2nd planted tank (20g low-tech)

This is my 1st. my 40g (med/high-tech)

Equipment
  • 40g breeder
  • Marineland Emperor 280
  • Coralife 96w PC strip
  • Pressurized CO2 w/powerhead injection
  • Flourite and gravel mix
  • Pinpoint PH Probe
  • RedSea DC
Flora
  • Cyrpt Wendtii
  • H. Difformis
  • H. Polysperma "Sunset"
  • Java Fern
  • Anubias
  • Dwarf Sag.
  • Rotala Rotundifolia
  • HM "Pearlgrass"
Fauna
  • 4x Otto
  • 1x SAE
  • 4x Julli Cory
  • 3x Red Eye Tetra
  • 12x H. Rasboras
Fertilizers currently using Seachem's lineup Nitrogen, Phosphors, Potassium, Excel, Flourish, and Iron

Its still a work in progress but I like it.
I will be adding another stem plant to the left side to fill in and hide equipment. Also I'm trying to find a nice red plant to add, maybe Alternanthera reineckii

55g High Tech- Finnex Planted+ LED, Fluval 305 canister filter, Penguin 350 HOB filter, pressurized 10# CO2 w/GLA Atomic CO2 Diffuser, Hydor Koralia Nano 565 Circ. pump, Dry fert EI dosing.

10g Low Tech- Nicrew LED, Aqueon QuietFlow 10 HOB filter, Seachem Excel, minimum dry fert EI dosing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SHUTDOWN 5/2016(36x18x16)Med Tech - 96w PC strip light, pressurized 10# CO2 w/powerhead injection, Dry fert EI dosing, Fluval canister filter, Flourite Dark substrate.

Last edited by Syris; 10-09-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Hey, not a bad start! Everything looks healthy.

A few suggestions. Right side looks good, left side looks too "organized". Scatter those stones a bit more. Maybe some random mismatched stacking?

I would bring the sagitarria in the mid back to the front left and leave a void in the middle (or even in the area within the stones). Perhaps push the closest Crypt further to the back toward the void.

Stem plants in the back left. Grouping stems is always better. As you trim, you can replant the tops and spread out the "bush".

Just some suggestions, but this looks like a nice fun tank. Keep up the good work and enjoy it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Looks great. For me this is much harder than maintaining my reefs.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
....left side looks too "organized". Scatter those stones a bit more. Maybe some random mismatched stacking?

I would bring the sagitarria in the mid back to the front left and leave a void in the middle (or even in the area within the stones). Perhaps push the closest Crypt further to the back toward the void.
Thx for the suggestions, you've given me some good ideas. I wasn't sure what to do with the sag. in the beginning so it ended up in the back

waterfaller1,
Funny I feel the exact opposite. With reef tanks I felt I was battling algae all the time. With the planted tank I feel more relaxed and not "worrying" so much about everything.

55g High Tech- Finnex Planted+ LED, Fluval 305 canister filter, Penguin 350 HOB filter, pressurized 10# CO2 w/GLA Atomic CO2 Diffuser, Hydor Koralia Nano 565 Circ. pump, Dry fert EI dosing.

10g Low Tech- Nicrew LED, Aqueon QuietFlow 10 HOB filter, Seachem Excel, minimum dry fert EI dosing.

SHUTDOWN 5/2016(36x18x16)Med Tech - 96w PC strip light, pressurized 10# CO2 w/powerhead injection, Dry fert EI dosing, Fluval canister filter, Flourite Dark substrate.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some changes in the last month.
  • 1st I went pressurized CO2. The DIY CO2 just wasn't cutting it for me Got a nice deal on a 10#CO2 tank and a decent regulator. Still diffusing it thru a powerhead for now but have a Glass Diffuser on the way.
  • 2nd I added 2 more Ottos for a total of 4. And I added 6 more H. Rasboras for a total of 12. School very nicely because I think the Red eye tetras make em a little nervous
  • Added Alternanthera reineckii but not doing so hot. They are surviving but lost a lot of their red. I have some Ludwigia Arcuata that is growing nice and red in my low light 20g, so I may try a few stems in the 45g.
OK on with some pics.

Center Tank

Model Citizen

Crypt pearling since adding Press. CO2

Wisteria growing horizontal

Right Side

Left Side

Full Tank Shot

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No comments

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syris View Post
No comments
WOW...looks good

i love to watch grass grow.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like it! Nice to see someone else running a successful planted tank with a HOB filter.

80 gal planted thread:

filstar pimp #146 Dual-ing XP3's
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 03:30 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Your plants are super healthy

-Chris

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish dork View Post
I like it! Nice to see someone else running a successful planted tank with a HOB filter.
And I'm still running it with the Biowheel

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode