The 28 gal bowfront reborn.......PIC UPDATE 10/12/2008 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)
The 28 gal bowfront reborn.......PIC UPDATE 10/12/2008

Well.......I finally was able to move my 28 gal to my new house....or shall i say I have been here since march and the tank had been sitting in my old bedroom being VERY neglected......it was lucky to be topped off once a month and the fishes were lucky to be fed more than once a week........needless to say I lost most of the plants....only the Java moss and java fern and duckweed survived for the 6 months that it was in such a sad state.......

I finally was able to find a stand for the tank......do you know how hard it was to find a stand that was priced ok? Anyway here are the specs....

28 gal bowfront
Sera plant sand......under Eco complete
2.5 bags Eco Complete
Fluval 205 cannister
2 24 inch t5 HO GLO lights
1 24 inch stock light(used as a moon light)

Plants
Java Moss.....I think
Java fern
Cambomba(sp)
not sure about the rest....anyone want to guess?

Fish
Platys
guppys
cardinals
cherry barbs
corys
khuli loach

All fish are original to the tank...and I only lost 1 guppy.....SHOCKING!!

I have been doing a 50% water change at least once a week and I try for 2 times a week....esp since this a new tank....altho I brought the cannister complete with the dirty water from the old tank to cycle the new tank....and so far it is working....

If you look closely you can see that the plants have some kind of algae on them....esp the moss......but I have noticed that it seems to be fading away gradually.....

Right now I am not running any CO2 but am dosing excel until I do....I am looking at DIY CO2........I understand that I can use 2 liter bottles.......but how many do i need for this tank? Anyone recommend one with specifics?

ANYWAY comments and critics are welcome.......be gentle tho...teehee!!

Last edited by wrangler; 10-12-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good, but those would be neons not cardinals

Eheim Pimp #315 (2213)
My Tank Photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Looks great. CO2? Looks like Cryptocoryne beckettii in the front right corner, so you can add that to your list. Need a better close up of the plant in the back right to ID.

The little guy in the middle is some kind of sword, but I am horrible at IDing those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenmws View Post
Looks good, but those would be neons not cardinals

glad someone knew.....I always get them confused and I have had those fish for close to 2 years.......thanks!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Looks great. CO2? Looks like Cryptocoryne beckettii in the front right corner, so you can add that to your list. Need a better close up of the plant in the back right to ID.

The little guy in the middle is some kind of sword, but I am horrible at IDing those.

I will try to get a better photo of the plant in the right corner........all the pictures so far have been taken with my cell phone.....takes pretty good pictures.....but I will try with the Nikon.......thanks for the ids on the cryptocoryne beckettii......now to find out what that sword is.....

oh and as far as CO2.....I am not running any yet.........looking into DIY CO2.......how many 2 liter bottles would I need to have optimal plant growth? Also is there somewhere on this forum that has graphics on what all the parts are called? I see alot of stuff about reactors, drop checkers, lilly pipes....ect.........I just love to learn more......teehee!!

thanks for the comments! I am really excited about this tank.......
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Some info can be found here for DIY CO2 https://www.plantedtank.net/articles.php?d

as well as just doing searches. There are hundreds, if not thousands of threads on DIY CO2.

As far as the lingo... Here is a good place to start for the abbreviations. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ks-search.html

Lily pipes are just fancy glassware (or acrylic) for the inflow and outflows on canister filters or pumps.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I thought that I would give an update on the tank....it has been about 10 days since the last time that I posted anything. The tank is comming along nicely. As you can see I have a algae outbreak on the glass......and most of the old plants are losing the algae that was covering them. I did go out and purchase a second T5 HO GLO light...I think that it has helped immensly. I am still playing with the timer for optimal plant growth. I added DIY CO2 yesterday to help with plant growth as well. I am also dosing with Excel and doing weekly water changes....and now for the photos......BTW I tried to get good picts of the moss......is it java or other? as well as the green and red plant in the right corner. Comments and critiques are always welcome!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 11:57 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Good growth. Moss looks like singapore or christmas to me

-Chris

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the ID on the moss....any hints of the red and green plant on the right side of the tank?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
I'd say ludwigia, maybe l. repens, for the red and green plant but I don't think that's right. Maybe someone else can chime in?

110 Tall in progress!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraja87 View Post
I'd say ludwigia, maybe l. repens, for the red and green plant but I don't think that's right. Maybe someone else can chime in?
Not sure...but it sure is an awesome plant.

If anyone knows for sure I'll be thrilled, I really want it!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well it has been a month since the last update....and I am up against some serious algae.....staghorn is the most rampant.... Plants are growing like crazy....pearling now....
I did a plant trim a week ago....hence the darker green old growth and the bright green tops. I think that the staghorn is finally starting to fade away.....but I think I need a little bit longer to make sure.....anyway here are the pictures. Comments and critiques are always welcome!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank looks good despite the ongoing algae battle. Are those cherry barbs that I see in there?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills Tj View Post
Tank looks good despite the ongoing algae battle. Are those cherry barbs that I see in there?

I am really hoping that having the CO2 will squash the algae issue.......cause I am not liking seeing my plants covered in it.......

Anyway yes they are cherry barbs......platies and neons. I also have 1 khuli loach and now one cori catfish. The cherry barbs, khuli loach and cori are at least 2 years old. I have several platies that are over 1 year old.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode