30 Gallon Update... Planted 9/6/8 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
30 Gallon Update... Planted 9/6/8

I just put in the eco-complete today and added the driftwood. Try to ignore the sponge filter, intake tube and bubbles, this tank was being used for Chiclid fry-I'm now converting it to a low tech, low light tank. Right now there is only one fish in the tank, a rainbow shark (bruce).

I'm looking for opinions on the hardscape, keeping in mind that i need some sort of cave for the shark. That's what I'm trying to achieve with the driftwood and rock on the left side of the picture. The Driftwood on the left side is one piece, on the right side there are two pieces together.

Sorry the picture is so dark, let me know if anyone wants close ups of anything.

Plants I am thinking of using are, Anacharis, Anubias Nana, Cabomba, Java Fern and maybe Nymphaea daubenyana. Placement of plants or suggestions for other plants are welcome. I'm still not too sure what look I want to achieve with the plants. I would like to have the tank look full yet still have a lot of swimming room. After the plants are in and things are set on plan on adding a school of Dwarf Neon Rainbow Fish.

This is my first planted tank so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Last edited by Christine T; 10-05-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

30 Gallon low light-hard scape

I tried changing things around a bit and I think I am going to stick with this for now. I'm not sure I like the long rock in the middle but for now I'll leave it. I'm planning on doing a sort of path in the middle that leads off to the right with the Narrow Leaf Dwarf Subulata.

Full Tank

Left Side

Right Side

I'm going to order my plants today, I should have them by Friday or Saturday.

I decided on:
Anacharis
Cabamba
Crispus
Anubias Barteri
Anubias Frazeri
Cryptocoryne Walkeri
Anubias Nana
Narrow Leaf Dwarf Subulata
Java Moss
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
How is your temp? Anacharis kind of melts unless it's in pretty cool temps. How about trying to stack the rocks, or group them closer?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I keep the temp at about 76.

The rocks in the tank now are pretty big so I don't know about stacking those, it might end up looking odd. But I have some smaller rocks in another tank that I could play around with.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Just Planted

I just planted yesterday. The plants were all in good condition. My Anubias Frazeri is huge! It has huge white roots and has been a bit difficult to keep down (it's on the right side of the tank). My other Anubias I just tied to driftwood, but I planted the roots of Frazeri in the substrate.

Filter: AC50

Powerhead: AC 30 (but seems a bit too much? Maybe I just need to let the plant root themselves in?)

Lights: Coralife T5 series, one 21w colormax full-spectrum and one 21w 6700Kplant lamp

Substrate: 2 bags of Eco Complete and 1 bag of Flourite

I was going to use the Dwarf Sag as a foreground plant but I think it's too tall. I put a few on the sides but I kind of like the foreground open.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Tank has been planted for one month. My anubias nanas' stems are having (fuzzy algae?) issues but are growing new leaves. The stem plants are growing well, I've had to do a few trimmings so far which is why things are a bit uneven. I'm trying not to trim unless i really need to because I'm trying to just leave the tank alone while things finish settling in. The back right of the tank seems empty because my Crispus pretty much melted away after I planted it, it is growing nice new leaves though. There is also a few Walkeri in the middle left and middle right that once grown in I hope will give the tank more filled in look. I'm not too sure about the dwarf sag, it's growing well and a few have sent out runners. I wanted to do a carpet but I think it's too tall for that. I may eventually take it out but for now I've moved it around and left some substrate exposed.

Fish:
7 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
1 Rainbow shark
6 Ottos
lots of annoying snails that I pull out everyday.

I'm thinking of getting some Chili Rasboras and maybe one or two more dwarf rainbows eventually.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Whoa. Nice rainbows!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

haha thanks I'm hoping to get a few more eventually. They school nicely and I think 2-3 more would make them stand out more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode