My 40G Breeder - It's about to get serious - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
My 40G Breeder - It's about to get serious

I'm fairly new to the hobby, having just started towards the beginning of this year. My first tank was a 29g, and I quickly decided it was too small, so I found a good deal on a 55g. After getting more into planting, I decided I didn't like the long, skinny and tall shape of the 55 so I wound up with this tank.

I've had it for a couple months now, and I am exceedingly happy with the footprint it affords for aquascaping. Also, it provides enough room to have a decent selection of fish inhabiting it without taking up a great deal of space like the 55 did.

Here are the specs I have been working with:

- 40 gallon Aqeuon tank
- Coralife 1x96w 6500k PC light
- Eheim 2217 canister filter
- 80lbs of Eco-Complete with a little original Fluorite that accidentally got mixed in
- 150w Jaeger heater
- DIY CO2 diffused through the Hagen Mini-Elite internal filter/pump

I have been growing the plants shown in the tank with decent success, but I don't think I am providing optimal conditions. I have a problem with some BBA on the plants on the left side with the fat round leaves (don't know what they are called) and it's also on the left driftwood. Don't know why my SAE's aren't touching it, they have eradicated most of my other algae. I also have hair algae and some sort of filamentous algae that is growing in a blob within my moss. My plants are growing pretty slowly. I haven't really needed to trim any of my stems. I could do a trim to the rotala to make them look nice, but I figured I would let them grow out so I could do their trim after I re-scape the tank.

Why am I rescaping? Well, I ordered some stuff and picked up a few things around town that I'm sure most of you noticed weren't in my equipment list. The following is what I have/am waiting on to arrive:

- Aquariumplants.com CO2 regulator/solenoid/needle valve/bubble counter from st3v3 here on TPT
- 5lb. CO2 tank from a local forum member
- Glass diffuser, drop checker, CO2 tubing and dry fert package from GLA

I finally felt confident spending the money on this stuff now that I am satisfied with the size of the tank and I'm ready to stop being frustrated by the algae and slow growth problems I'm having.

Here is an FTS of the tank as it currently stands:

As you can see, there really isn't much of a scape going on here. I kind of just plopped in the plants as I acquired them, keeping them separate from each other. You can see on the driftwood the algae I was talking about. I can pull it out as a big ball, and most of the moss stays attached to the wood. The Ozelot sword is a new addition as of today. I kind of just plopped it in there with no rhyme or reason to its placement, since it's going to move tomorrow anyway.

My plan for the scape is to put the sword in the back left corner, and fill around it with most of my stems - rotala rotundifolia, green cabomba, rotala wallichii, that green fat round leaf one, and a really nice purpleish red stem plant with very narrow leaves I got that I can't get a good picture of and only have one stem of. Then in front of that I will put the crypt wendtii greens and dwarf sag. Maybe the microswords, but I'm considering ditching them. Then the foreground will be covered in dwarf hairgrass. I'm hoping the scape juts out like a peninsula along the back. Then I may make a shortly trimmed stand of the rotundifolia on the right.

In case you were wondering, here's my fauna list:
- 1 Bristlenose Pleco named Wally
- 12 Black Neon Tetras
- 8 Harlequin Rasboras (one with one eye - named Ole' One Eye)
- 7 Pentazona Barbs (Puntius pentazona, I made a thread on them in the Fish subforum)
- 2 Cories of unknown variety, all their friends died when I had the 55g
- 2 SAE
- 1 Otocinclus
- 1 Sunset Gourami
- 2 Red Cherry Shrimps that I never see

Sorry this post became so long. I guess I'm looking for advice on my upcoming rescape. I'll be posting more photos after I do the rescape and snag a better camera, probably coming tomorrow afternoon/evening. Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fts.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	9552  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudnugget View Post
I finally felt confident spending the money on this stuff now that I am satisfied with the size of the tank and I'm ready to stop being frustrated by the algae and slow growth problems I'm having.
Congrats my friend! That's the attitude!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode