Tank taken down - Dans l'Attente High-Tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
Tank taken down - Dans l'Attente High-Tech

This tank was started in january '08, and has evolved in SO many ways since then. i finally realized how to grow plants well, so I added in an extra light, some fertilizer ever other week, and my own DIY CO2 reactor. I just got my tank back two weeks ago (i had to give it to my friend over the summer because i was in china for a month), and now I am trying to grow it into a decent planted tank.

Before, it just had some java moss on some driftwood, a moss ball, and one tall stem plant that was looking a little sickly. since then, i bought an amazon sword and a little plant that i dont know the name of, as well as some mondo grass.

The fish are just livebearers, a dojo loach and an oto. I have two amano shrimp and this baby crayfish (~1" long) that I got a while ago.

I am trying to get my parents to let me upgrade to a 46g tank (i'm in high school still...), but until then and even after then, i'd like to get some input on what you all think i should do with it.

here is a picture of it today (August 26):

If that image doesnt work, then here is a link to my Tank Profile:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=1010

Last edited by demosthenes; 12-21-2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: just to change the title.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Some scaping and a finalized design plan, darker substrate, darker background, and removal of the air stone(unless that is CO2 and that would be great bubblage(lol) if it is) and it would be looking good. The only problem is the Dojo Loach as they really need larger. I know how hard it is to get the parents to allow a larger size. It took alot for my mom to let me have an itsy bitsy teeny weeny 29g.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol, my parents won't let me get a new substrate... and the background is currently a few pieces of printer paper i taped to the back of the tank. would it look better with black construction paper instead?

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
lol, my parents won't let me get a new substrate... and the background is currently a few pieces of printer paper i taped to the back of the tank. would it look better with black construction paper instead?
Sounds like my mom.....

I have construction paper as my background, I had attached it to thin boards so that it would be easy to keep if I decided to move it or move myself. As for the substrate, save a little money here and there and go out and buy it yourself. I could see having a problem with more tanks but.....a different substrate lol

post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haha i convinced my dad to give me my monthly allowance early, so i went out and bought 20lbs of eco-complete, an anubias coffeefolia, some tall dark hygro, and a wisteria plant! my tank it officially the coolest thing ever... haha, ill upload some pictures soon.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I haven't really been following up on this journal, but I do keep one on my computer, so I think i'll upload it. All of the long journals on here are really cool, so i'm hoping that mine can turn out like that some day.

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow. i STILL havent uploaded any pictures to this. i did on a few others, but they were attached as thumbnails instead of normally like everyone else does them. i need to figure out how to attach pictures better..... anyway, today i came back home from my thanksgiving break and made a few changes to this tank. mainly, i took out the dwarf gourami and swordtails and added one oto. i also accidentally tore some of my potamogeton gayii off of the stem and had to replant it.

now the inhabitants are 2 otos, 4 RCS, and 2 amano shrimp.

I am looking for more of a long-term plan for this tank. I'm hoping to have it be just a well-established tank that can look good, but also be used to separate and breed fish when needed or a shrimp tank to house my developing colony of RCS.... haha, still have some work to do with that... Im thinking of letting the gayii grow into the back right corner and make a nice bush back there, and once the corkscrew vals fill in i can put them either in front of the gayii or to the left. then i'd like to add more of a midground plant, maybe something thats 4-5" tall, but im not sure what yet. maybe HM or some medium-sized crypts to fill in. pictures will come within the next few days, whenever i have enough time to put them on shutterfly or whatever.

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally the pictures have been uploaded!

Here is a full summary of everything that has happened to this tank since august '08. Hopefully this tank will see some great changes in the near future, im already excited about some new things i've added. Most of them are taken on consecutive saturdays, but on a few there are a few weeks between them.

the last picture is today, taken just a minute ago with my crappy cameraphone.

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A few plants died, a few new ones have been doing well, idk. I got some glosso and moved around some plants. Some of the stargrass from my 46g was being annoying, so i chopped it up and threw it in here. I also put in some Sunset hygros on the left. Still trying to get the neons to spawn in various ways, still no luck.

In working on making my 46g look good, this tank has gotten kind of lame. The lighting is crappy and the scape is mediocre. I would really like some advice on where to go with it. I'm hoping to have it become a densely planted higher light tank with good hiding places for fry and juvies, but i'm not sure what to put in it or where to put it. Please give me some suggestions!

here it is right now:

there is also a leaf on my amazon sword growing really weirdly. It has sharply curved on a 2 dimensional plane at the very tip, its hard to tell what is going on in the picture, but here it is:

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

10g rescape in progress...

Well here it is this week. Again, not much has happened:

For christmas, i got my parents to finally agree to let me rescape it! woohooo! haha... i'm going to either make it high light and have fine leaved plants or go medium lighting and use grassy-looking plants, but i can't decide which. Which do you all think is better?

So tomorrow i'm hoping to get a new lighting fixture (the one i have now s-u-c-k-s majorly), and then i'm hoping to find some dwarf hairgrass, potamogeton gayi, HM, and then either [limno. aquaticum and rotala wallichii] or [corkscrew vals and bolbitis heudelotti], depending on what happens to the lighting.

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well yesterday I went out to my LFS, planning to buy a few fish, some bamboo shrimp, and maybe a plant or two.... I ended up spending $138 on driftwood, sand, this SICK new light (1x36W PC), anubias and crypts, and some high light plants. The only animals i got were two otos and one CRS.
my dad just about exploded when i got home!

Well luckily with all of the new stuff, I rescaped my 10g into a high tech 3.6 wpg and my nasty old 5g into a reallly cool new scape. I think i'll start a journal for the 5g later.

Now as for this tank! I got some ambulia and new moss (java moss i think, i have no idea) and I rescaped the tank a little bit. I even found a little bit of potamogeton thats actually growing! I only have three stems of it left, and i dont think two of them are going to make it, but its such a cool plant! Well anyway, here it is!

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
I like your new slope, it adds depth to the tank. Your stargrass also looks happy--mine always turned black. Looks good.

Some constructive criticism: Whatever it is that you have wrapped around your filter input is an eyesore. Hopefully your stargrass will grow and cover that. Also, I'd add a plant which is a little more substantial to the back left corner to cover the silicone corner edge, and make the tank seem more like a little clearing in a dense thicket of plants.
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks! that was actually exactly what i was looking for. The filter is awful. I was trying to get some baby neon and attempted a DIY sponge filter, but it just ended up looking terrible. (btw, its just a filter cartridge that i butchered a little bit, nothing too strange.)

Actually i think i might move the driftwood forward a little bit and put the sunset hygros behind the Ambulia to cover up the corner more. The back right corner also looks kind of weak, i'm hoping the myrio and p. gayi will fill in a little more.

I think some blyxa in the left front and some HM in the front/center in front of the DW would look great, too, I'm hoping to find some soon. I also love the look of dwarf hairgrass, i dont think i could fit any in my tank though. Maybe i could switch it out with the crypts... idk.

Wilson

, last updated 1/14
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Bah. I said back left and I meant back right. The back left looks good. Back right looks weak, as you said.

You already have two foreground plants going, I wouldnt mix in a third. One successfull foreground plant is all you need.
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oh yeah, the back right... haha. i was thinking of switching the myrio with the rotala eventually. see, my p. gayi is in between them, and it takes a long time to acclimate and start growing again, so once i get some strong gayi stems, then i can mess with the background plants.

my glosso and gayi are looking kind of weak, is there anything i can do to help them a little bit? I have some flourish excel and iron, but i dont want to overdose, and im using melafix in this tank anyway, i have a sick betta and a sick dwarf neon rainbow in here.

Wilson

, last updated 1/14

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode