80cm - Tales from the crypts. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
80cm - Tales from the crypts.

Ok, I can't think of another name, so this will surfice for now!

I've been wanting to move my livebearers and other fish from their 60cm tank as it was getting crowded. Over the weekend I've been prepping and finally, today I've got it up and running

Here are some pics:

The layout I'd decided on yesterday:

One large lump of Microsorum "Needle". This started out as a load of small rizhomes bought from AquaticMagic last year I believe, left overs from the larger bunch. They have since grown a lot! Probably 5x as much there. The best part is they have been shoved at the back of the 60cm tank so I've not really noticed how much they've grown...

They have also seemingly started growing some odd shapes on the ends of a few of the leaves, similar I guess to "Windelov" variety, very cool!

And a "final" shot after I'd finished filling it:

As you can see, I adjusted the right hand wood. To be honest, I had problems keeping it steady. There are now several small bits of AE aquascapping rock holding it up :lol:

Stats wise, not much to say really. Still a work in progress. I'm hoping I can continue the very easy maintenance of the 60cm, which had no CO2, TPN+ every now and then and a water change once or twice a month. I might up the maintenance on this though as I suspect I won't be that lucky with it!

So:

Ehemi Pro 2222 filter (temporary, will swap out for my Tetratec EX700 when I can)
2x 18w T8 tubes (need replacing and need reflectors) - Arcadia i-Bar
Topica substrate topped with Unipac Zambezi sand
Microsorum "Needle" and another (not sure if it's normal or another)
Crypt. Parva/Wendtii/Balansae/Other (not sure, will get ID)
"Flame" moss/Other moss.

I'll be having the Hydrocotyle floating again as I really liked how this looked, and it gave it a nice moody feeling

It's really nice to be able to see the fish! They were so well hidden in the last tank, with the Hydrocotyle filling in the top level. This tank is deeper. I've also managed to raise the light bar a little more than in the pic, so I can raise the water level another inch tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Cool tank.

Is that a bare bulb right next to the water? Zaaap!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thought I'd add some pics from this morning, as you can see I've raised the light unit

Full frontal:

Rasbora shoaling:

Gouramis eyeing each other up (nice blue eyes):

Another full frontal. The tank is sitting on a shelf full of vinyl... Hope it doesn't leak!

Excuse the crappy old reflector, but it does seem to make a difference, and stops the light from blinding me when I look at it

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like it. I think it will look great when it's grown in.
Like you're choice of fish too. Sparkling Gouramis are one of my favorites. They are so tiny, but very spunky and smart!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Wow! Your driftwood looks awesome!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

I can't wait for the hygro to start growing out of the tank again, it looks really nice

Looking for a small bushy plant at the moment to fill in around the wood untill the crypts fill out. Looking at Hygrophila corymbosa "Compact" at the moment...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thinking of adding CO2 to this. I have all the gear available so why not eh? I may also swap the filter out sooner rather than later, as the Eheim Pro 2222 is quite under powered.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
For the bushy plant, blyxa japonica has always been a favorite but it might not be what your looking for. It can turn a nice bronze color that some other crypts turn but you need good lighting and co2 injection usually for that to work. Even if you don't want to try blyxa, co2 injection would be great for some of the plants you want. Because most of the plants are relatively easy to grow like the java fern and crypts, kept in co2 injection, they can thrive. Nice start on your tank as well

Ehfipimp #340!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(2215)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode