Your Photosynths - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lightbulb Your Photosynths

I hope not to be misleading with title, since I'm not talking about photosynthesis. I did a search before I posted to make sure no one had mentioned this topic before, and also I'm hoping I'm not doing something wrong by posting in this forum, since this is very much about photographs, and all of your tanks.

I'm just wondering if any of you have Photosynthed your tanks yet. Photosynth, if you aren't familiar with it, is a new web application-thing that lets you see a photo collection in 3 dimensions. It takes your 2d flat photos, maps out what 3d point they were taken from, compares them to the rest of your photos, and then (after you've added a good number of photos) it maps out the thing your photographing in 3d.

To get a good idea of what it is that I'm talking about, visit this site, and take a look at any of the main showcased views.
http://photosynth.net/default.aspx
I know loads of you have albums upon albums of pictures of your tanks and their surrounding areas. Seeing these pictures is great and fun, but I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't allow the ability to actually understand what the tank looks like in 3d.

To get an idea of what the potential view of a tank would be like, try this one:
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...c-c7fd6bba5e39
Tip: while in the picture area, hold the Ctrl key to get a 3d only view, which you can then drag around, zoom in and out of, and rotate. To turn off the photos and only see 3d points the whole time, press the 'p' button.
Also, if you move around this tank, you'll notice a ring at one point. drag it back and forth to see the tank swivel at that point. Try it with and without photos.
This example tank isn't at all mine, but gave me the idea of how awesome the potential of this is. I mean, this one is pretty good, and made of only about 40 pictures. Also, I'd much rather be looking at planted tanks than this reef tank.

I plan on trying this out soon, even with my poor camera, just to see how it works out. The idea of having my petite nana's leaves mapped out in 3d makes me feel giddy. Also it makes me feel like a dork, but I'm fine with that.

Anyway, I'm hoping that in this thread, everyone who has a photosynth or just made one can post it here. If it gets crowded, I'll try to edit this post to contain a link to each of your synths, so they're not lost amongst the pages. And I do hope there will be pages.

Hope you guys create something great. I look forward to exploring your great tanks in a new way.
(also, mods, if this thread is in the place, please feel free to move it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Photosynth is a pretty nifty app; it reminds me when my dad got his Canon G1 years ago, and it came with a program called Photostitch. That program let you combine photos together to make a wide panorama shot. This is the next step up from that, and it works pretty well.

My tank is kinda small to make a nice synth, but I would love to see a large planted tank get "synthed!"

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is my second attempt.
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...a-1296b59124d3
The one below this is my first.
I'm much more satisfied with this one. I hope you all enjoy it, even though it's not amazing.

I just finished making my first attempt. (not too great, I'd say, but a start)
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...4-2b66c7df702e

It's not very impressive. 18% synthy isn't too great. The ones that I've seen that are 50% are pretty great. Of course, it doesn't help that my camera is terrible. For my second attempt I'm reusing the same photos and adding a bit over a hundred more, in hopes to get something better. I also made a makeshift tripod in hopes for more stable and clear pictures, which I think worked a little.

I also just found out that you can't just add photos into an already created synth, and that they also take a bit of time to develop, so keep those things in mind.

Quote:
My tank is kinda small to make a nice synth, but I would love to see a large planted tank get "synthed!"
Honestly, I found that my crappy 10 gallon aquarium, which is only half full and not very interesting as it is, has already been enough of a challenge to photosynth. I imagine that if someone wanted to do a 100+gal tank, they'd either need to be making a very general portrait of it (which would go against the point of the project, I guess) or they'd have to take a full day just to do it.

And even though mine is crap, it's pretty satisfying. I figure one day I'll be able to pull this out and take a look around my tank like I do now, and think "Ah, so this is what it was like once..." ^_^

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I'm working on some now. Just need the tank to clear up. My first attempt was a bit funny, as it made my 29g tank look like it was much larger....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is a very old thread, and I realize that. I don't think necroposting really applies when the thread was yours to begin with, though.

Anyway, it's been well over a year since I've last tried synthing my aquariums, and my latest results have been better.

First of all, here's my little low-tech 10G tank:
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...6-2297476b3489

And then my DIY CO2 20G tank:
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...a-2b1b387ce095

I know that there are quite a lot more synthed tanks out there now than there were when I started this way back when, and I wonder if any of them are yours. Or seeing a new one is great too.

Also, I'd love to one day see a synthed shrimp or fish. That would be awesome.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
That's fascinating, the app (or my connection) doesn't seem powerful enough to keep it rendered in 3d as I drag around which kind of kills the effect for me but it's a neat idea though.

My 3D heart will forever belong to autostereograms though, I would love love LOVE to see a technology that could produce those from photographs.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
That's fascinating, the app (or my connection) doesn't seem powerful enough to keep it rendered in 3d as I drag around which kind of kills the effect for me but it's a neat idea though.
If you look to the bottom left, right underneath the window that the snyth is in, you'll see the words "View Synth in Direct3D Viewer"
That will take you to the old version of the viewer, which incidentally, worked way better than the current one. In it, the point cloud won't disappear and reappear like it does in the main one.
I think that they do it in the new viewer as a "feature" for slower computers. I doubt it is your connection. Once all the 3D points are loaded, the whole thing is happening in your computer, and nothing more from the internet is needed.
Pressing the "p" button should still cycle through the photos+pointcloud, just pointcloud, and just photos.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope_luke View Post
If you look to the bottom left, right underneath the window that the snyth is in, you'll see the words "View Synth in Direct3D Viewer"
That will take you to the old version of the viewer, which incidentally, worked way better than the current one. In it, the point cloud won't disappear and reappear like it does in the main one.
I think that they do it in the new viewer as a "feature" for slower computers. I doubt it is your connection. Once all the 3D points are loaded, the whole thing is happening in your computer, and nothing more from the internet is needed.
Pressing the "p" button should still cycle through the photos+pointcloud, just pointcloud, and just photos.
Oh, I see, I thought I had cycled through with the P button but evidently not.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode