tristan's 10gal UPDATED 10/21/08 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
tristan's 10gal UPDATED 10/21/08

As a new and slightly obsessed aquarium planter I have decided to do this journal deal in order to get helpful and constructive feedback. I am not the most creative person in terms of aquascaping and anyone who bothers reading this would be greatly appreciated to leave comments and suggestions.

So... lets get started.

I had been using my old 10gal as a means of separating the male platies from my other larger tank and it was looking a bit bland. I changed the substrate to a 1-3mm gravel and laterite mix about 3 weeks ago.

Added a few planty plants in addition to my red wags and clown pleco.

Added an additional algae eater (introducing Stick-E)

Recently I built a retaining wall to create a new layer of gravel for the deeper rooting plants. I built in a little cave since I was replacing the clown pleco's hiding spot (previously the alligator skull). I have not yet added the extra gravel to fill the new level. Oh, about 2 weeks ago I also introduced DIY CO2 and a CO2 bell. I am dosing Flourish once a week.

My plan from here is to find a piece of driftwood that will go somewhere on the left but I am having trouble finding the perfect piece, as I'm sure many of you understand. I'm worried of it being a bit too crowded. I also just cannot get happy with the plants i currently have as well as their placements. It just doesnt look right to me.

This is currently a low light setup (1.5wpg) and I am desperately searching the apartment for things to sell on ebay in order to get a retrokit from AH Supply. I'm thinking that the low light is what is making the cabomba a little unhappy.

So there we go my first entry. All comments and suggestions are welcome

Last edited by aux1tristan; 10-21-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Looks good so far. Personally, I say stay low-light since this is your first setup. But choose plants that will thrive in a low-light setup. Anubius, Crypts, mosses, java fern... all are good choices for your tank. The hairgrass in your tank may not make it with your current setup, but you never know. Try experimenting with DIY CO2 before you decide to go high-light, as you'll definitely need CO2 with high light.

Is that a farowalla catfish? If so, it's going to outgrow your tank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
The middle of your tank looks like it's getting most of the light, followed by the left side, with the right side having the least. Try moving the cabomba to the middle or middle-left, and I think you'll get an improvement out of it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh good idea crudnugget - you're right its not getting much light where it currently is.

You know i'm not sure what species of fish the stick fish is. The fish guy only knew it as a 'stick fish' and i can't seem to find him online. I'm not worried about him growing out of the tank as I have much larger tanks for him to graduate to.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-tristan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Yes, Stick-e does grow too big for you tank.

But it looks like a great start! Try moving the sword back a bit.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK I have done a lot lately so I decided to update.

I was pleased to discover that the light died on another fish tank of mine giving me the opportunity to buy a new light. I transferred over the old light for this tank and bought a 24" Coralife 28watt (one with a regular bulb and a pink bulb) which indeed is too long for my tank but was a good price and I don't mind it hanging over slightly. I also replaced the lid with some plexi allowing more light to enter.

And as I am having a seriously algae issue, Ive added a few more critters. (The stick fish died soon after he was introduced) Ive got a miniature oto who is awesome, a few tiger shrimp, and a bunch of cheapo ghost shrimp who all do a wonderful job.

Here are the results so far

So a bunch of new plants. Im currently attemping some fissidens and quadrofolia. We'll see how these pan out. I THINK my hairgrass (though COVERED in algae) is beginning to sprout new shoots, though the process is gruelingly slow.

I know is still a mess. Really I just throw in plants relatively randomly and occasionally rearrange. Been dosing flourish, still running the DIY CO2 and now with more light (about 2.8 wpg). One day I will actually DESIGN but I still need to work my kinks out first.

And as always, please constructive criticisms and ADVICE is more than welcome.

-tristan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode