MedRed's Paint-by-Numbers: ADA 60H Iwagumi (R.I.P. 01/2010) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
MedRed's Paint-by-Numbers: ADA 60H Iwagumi (R.I.P. 01/2010)

As some of you may know. I bought the deal of the century on a 2nd 30 gallon cube. that in turn has caused me to spend a lot more $$$. I currently don't have an Iwagumi... and most of my tanks don't true hardscapes (African Cichlids don't count!). This is the tank to end all of that

I currently have ordered:

-Cube garden 60 H 24 x 12 x 18

-Garden mat 60 x 30

Garden stand 60 Silver and Garden stand rack 60 Metallic

Solar I arm right

-Do: Aqua
-Music Glass Mini 15D x1

-Poppy Glass PP-3 17D x 2

-Poppy Glass PV-3 17D x 2

I plan on using a smaller aluminum co2 canister to fit on the rack. I have an extra one currently but it's big and steel.

I've not figured out what light i will use yet... but it will be metal halide.

Substrate will be powersand (I still think it's gimmicky but oh well) under Amazonia I.

Stone will be seiryu or ryuoh.

Flora will be Cypress Helferi, HC, and Downoi.

Fauna will be otos, briggitae, and kubotai. I have the briggitae and kubotai in holding already.

I'm not sure what filter I will use yet. I need something with a spectacular flowrate as I will be using a hydor inline heater and I may move the music glass to the 30 cube and go with an inline cal aqua diffuser. Will a 2236 be able to handle this abuse?

Here is the little holding tank i set up yesterday for the briggitae. The filter was hanging on the back of another tank. ( I have 3 HOB's in varying sizes that are used to cycle new tanks) I placed it on the floor because i Didn't feel like dealing with it. LAZY BONES. I initially planned to place it on my desk. I still may do that

Here are the little guys (30) hiding out.

and the kubotai. These guys are neon green bundles of joy. If you look above the heater... you can make out a few of the sharpnosed chocolate gouramis that are also in quarantine.

More to come!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!

Last edited by MedRed; 03-21-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I look forward to seeing what you do with this tank...

Did you order the Do!Aqua stuff directly from Aquaforest? I didn't see it on their site but I know they have it in-store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks windfish.

My LFS orders amano stuff through aquaforest regularly. They called and received a list of Do!Aqua inventory that they carry. I ordered everything through the LFS. We'll see how the rock turns out... that's obviously the key to everything.

post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Wow, can't wait to see the turnout.

Subscribed!
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is funny. I was just thinking the other day after I set up my 120P that my next tank would be a 60H iwagumi! Way to go Medred. I like your style.
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Very nice!
post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Hey MedRed,

I'm excited to see how your tank is going to turn out. All those microrasboras schooling should be a sight to behold! I agree about the rocks being the key to everything. Someone once told me they called AFA and had them describe the rocks to them over the phone before deciding which ones to purchase. If you can't see them in person, maybe you can give them a call and ask them to do this, or if they are willing, even taking some pictures for you! It's better than ending up with rocks that you don't like . Subscribed!
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
I'd recommend a 150W MH for this depth of tank. Aqua Medic Ocean Light pendant with the Aqua Medic 10k bulb -- That bulb has great color rendition!! (check my latest 60-P pics for an example).

Can't wait to see this filled and living!

No Pimp Club.
post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Volatile: I am a little worried about the rocks. I may give them a call tomorrow.

roybot: thanks for the heads up! I'll order it right now

post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just bought a nice pair of nanochromis sabinae as a centerpiece fish. I'm not sure if i will use them for this tank yet. The male is in with the kubatai and the female is with the briggitae. The male is absolutely gorgeous... and the female is very nice.

post #11 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Medred, you must have a really sweet LFS, I was trying to find those neon yellow rasboras, but cant seem to find them anywere near me or even online. The places I check regularly either dont carry them, or are out of stock. Mad props for finding an awesome fish for your new cash-dump. Cant wait to see how this turns out!
post #12 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hey da... i misspelled the name. They are kubotai. you might be able to ask your LFS if they can order them. We in portland do have an amazing LFS. both the kubotai and the briggitae were a request I made a couple of months back. it took awhile to get them in... but they are here!

post #13 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Sweet setup...anyone wanna give me an extra 150 so that I can get MH instead of T5 for my new setup?
post #14 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rountreesj View Post
Sweet setup...anyone wanna give me an extra 150 so that I can get MH instead of T5 for my new setup?
sure it cost $150.01 to ship it though

Neil

post #15 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
I'd recommend a 150W MH for this depth of tank. Aqua Medic Ocean Light pendant with the Aqua Medic 10k bulb -- That bulb has great color rendition!! (check my latest 60-P pics for an example).

Can't wait to see this filled and living!
where did you buy this light?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode