Med(Redo)- 25 Gallon Potpourri (R.I.P. 5/27/2009) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Med(Redo)- 25 Gallon Potpourri (R.I.P. 5/27/2009)

So... I thought I'd post up my oldest tank. It's been running for almost 4 years since I moved to Portland. This tank never ran co2 or ferts at all until I began to redo it. It's always been under 130 watts of compact fluorescents.

It's home to:

Apistos

Loaches:
Lizard
Reticulated Hillstream
Chinese Hillstream
Zebra
Dwarf Chain
Zodiac

Otos:
Cocama
Niger
Regular

Chocolate Gouramis:
Valiants
Licorice
Burmese
Regular

Cardinals, rummynoses, marble hatchets

What do you think?

Yeah that's what I thought. This tank was so neglected it wasn't funny.

I began working on this tank in June.

06/02/2008

06/11/2008 - took out all but one piece of driftwood (the one on the left completely covered in anubias.) Added the piece to the right which came from aqua forest. rearranged stuff

06/29/2008 - added ruby tetras, and sundadanio axelrodi red form, and badis badis...

7/9/2008 - so... what do you think of the end result?

Well... it doesn't matter because on saturday I took everything out of the tank except the fish.

The tear down and rebuild has begun. It's the first time i've removed the large driftwood to the left which is host to the anubias mother plant. This has been moved to my Tanganyikan tank. The nerites will go to town on the gsa on the leaves. . This Saturday I also netted out all of the cardinals and rummy noses and added them to my schools in my other tanks. I added Flame rasboras and Naked rasboras.

Pics of the rebuild coming very soon!

Substrate: Flourite and natural colored gravel
Filter: Magnum 350 and Eclipse 280
Light: Coralife Power Compact 130w 12 hour photoperiod
Pressurized Co2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!

Last edited by MedRed; 05-28-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM
baz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
That's funny the timing of your post as I'm about to redo my 25 gal. It currently has a Coralife 65 watt fixture that will be replaced by a 130 watt one this weekend. I see that you run your lights for 12 hrs. Is that all 130 watts for 12 hrs or do you run half the fixture as a noon burst?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey baz. I currently run all of it at once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

8/19/2008 - so the tear down and rebuild began on 8/16. Here is the progress. Everyone was a little skitish as I'd just had my hands in the tank and it was almost lights out. This tank is stem city (no pun intended) A lot of them are too short to see at this point. Should be a lot of trimming once everything starts growing in.

full tank

right hand side... not sure what to do with the mini pelia resting on the wood

left

left upper

right upper

the fish with the steel blue bodies and orange faces are the male naked rasboras

valiant chocolate female, marble hatches, and fire rasboras

not a great picture... but ruby tetras... love these guys. they are soooooo pink

niger otto

wood covered in fissidens. hope this grows in well

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

1 week old rescape on this tank. should grow in quickly as the hairgrass has grown a TON in just a week. The stems to the right will be shaped up tomorrow during a trim. Kind of wanting them to grow up and stretch the the left in a nice flow. doesn't look like much now... not sure what else i will do with it.

kubotai, regular chocolate gouramis, SAE's, Hillstream/Lizard loaches, and ruby tetras as inhabitants. the colors of the plants mixed with the pink ruby tetras and green kubotais look fantastic. I'm surprised ruby tetras aren't more popular. They are smaller than embers, have a striking, natural hot pink color, school nicely, and they are inexpensive. Perfect nano fish!

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
what are the dimensions of this tank?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

24 x 12 x 20

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
i love your chocolate gouramis
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I didn't turn down the lights cycle low enough while I was on vacation. This tank went through a major nutrient deficiency. I took most of the stems out... chopped them... and replanted. The look i'm going for is potpourri on the right side of the tank, and something more open on the left hand side. Trying to use green, red, brown, and pink with all of the fish and plants. Hopefully everything looks nice once it's all grown in. I also added some isosetes taiwanensis to the rear of the tank... it's fairly slow growing, but should reach fairly high int he tank once it gets going.

For those with cloudy aquasoil problems... I poured 1/6th of a bag of AS through the water column. The water was a little brown but not cloudy at all. One 50% water change later and it looked like new again.

I added a couple of rocks to keep things interesting. The white spot on the rock to the left is super glue from a brief previous use. It will eventually dissolve away. I've added some mini pelia to the wood... yes the wood has bark on it. The pelia should spread nicely to look like lichen.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Those kubotais look fantastic in your tank. The ruby tetras give a nice color too! The two combined look like sparks in that tank. Excellent selection of fish :-D

Shrimp Keeper
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thank you ebichua... natural neon green and hot pink... They really do go together well. The kubotais stay at the top and the rubies stay at the bottom. They provide a great dichotomy

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update:

Starting to fill in with some semblance of order. There are still a few plants on the right that haven't grown into visibility yet... like the Rotala Rotundifolia. Once that and the Apongeton Crispus grow in... the right hand side should look more complete. Pardon the Algae wafer mess in the middle. The otos are working on it.

The plant behind to the left of the madagascar lace leaf... can anyone identify it? It actually grew from the rotal mini type 2 that's on the left. The rotala mini was in bad shape once upon a time and grew the stems of whatever that is right off it's own stems. i split them up and the rotala mini hasn't grown more since.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This tank has been retired. I broke it down today to make room for my new nano reef. This tank was special because it was my first and only tank for a year after I moved to Portland. I never got the scape to look the way I wanted, but the sheer variety of fish that graced this tank over the past 4+ years has been amazing.

RIP 25 Gallon

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like that screwy driftwood poking out into the open space

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It was a good tank. RIP, little buddy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode