my big experiment-30g journal (updated 9-21 w/ new pictures!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
my big experiment-30g journal (updated 9-21 w/ new pictures!)

i've had a 10g, a 5g and a 2.5 gallon planted, but i have wanted something bigger. i've spent the past year and some change reading journals and threads on here.

i was given a free 29g tank by a friend to upgrade my gerbils from their 10 gallon tank. they lived in there for a few months, and i got a call saying that someone found a 55 gallon tank at a goodwill for 10$. i don't really have the room to set up a 55g tank for fish, but i had a good spot to keep it for my gerbils. so the 29g tank is now freed up for use! the pictures that follow are documenting me getting started on removing the ugly blue paint and marlin decal from the tank. it's a pain, but free tanks are fine in my book. i am also going to reseal it, as the gerbils chewed at the silicone. the supplies only cost me about 11$ at lowes!

(jasper, being "helpful")

i'm planning a south american biotope, because cories are my absolute favorite fish and i tend to love pretty, mossy, jungle-looking south american tanks. i considered getting a pair of angels, but my tank is the standard long tank, and i would feel i was cramping them.

i've ordered the following equipment:
magnum h.o.t. canister filter, 250gph
36" coralife strip with one colormax bulb (to be switched out) and 1 6700K T-5 bulb
a 150w visi-therm stealth heater
red-sea co2 bio-system

and i placed an order at aquatic forest aquarium for 3 9L bags of as amazonia powder type and 1 2L bag of power sand M.

i didn't really want to use just sand, as much as i know cories love it. i don't really like the look of it.

i have 2 small pieces of old black wood in my other tanks and i really like the look of it, so i will probably be placing another order to get some more of that from afa.

if anyone has any rock suggestions, i'm all ears (or eyes, as the case may be... )

i plan on getting several of the smaller sword plants, some stargrass, several of the echinodorus species and vallisnera. i'm hoping that i can get some help as far as plant selections go. i considered ordering a south american biotope package at azgardens, but i'm not sure i like everything that comes with. suggestions, please?

my stocking list so far is as follows:
6 corydoras habrosus
6 corydoras hastatus
7 otos
1 queen arabesque pleco
3 gold tetras from my 5g tank, probably going to add 3 or 4 more to make them happier
and possibly 2-3 german blue rams in the future once the tank is established.

any thoughts or suggestions? i wanted to stick with the pygmy species of cories to be able to get more and let them have a ton of room. i am going to round up my tetras to make them feel more secure, but i really would like some type of centerpiece fish in the future.

thanks so much for looking! there are so many beautiful tanks on here and while i've learned a lot from looking, i'm really hoping that everyone can help me make mine look even a fraction as good.

Last edited by prettyrustyrobot; 09-22-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Sounds like a good start.

What on earth was that tank painted blue for?? It looks like mr razor blade will be your friend in getting that off!

I don't know much in the plants dept. I would just search for other biotopes and take ideas from them

Species list looks good. If you are looking for a centerpiece fish for SA maybe a pair of rams??

good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply!

yeah, i think my friend was keeping a snake in there and thought the blue would make it more uniform. makes no sense to me, but like i said...free tank!

i read online that oven cleaner will take paint off. i figure i will do that extremely carefully and then bleach the tank and let it dry completely before i start resealing it. cause the razorblade is just not working very well. it's leaving divots in my lovely, expensive plastic trim.

your 55g is gorgeous! i love rummies.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Planted Member

Yeah, I would imagine that oven cleaner would do the trick! My only worry would be residual chemicals left behind. If it were me, I would fill it with water and let it sit for a while to try and absorb any chemicals you may have missed (after you reseal it).

I don't know from experience but I would also caution against using the oven cleaner directly on the plastic. You could end up with a melted mess Unless, of course, you have read otherwise.

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i'm a little nervous about it. but the one side of the tank that i used the razorblade on looks like crap in several spots.

i might work on it a little bit more with the blade tonight and see if i can go slower and be more careful.

what a pain...

thanks for the heads up.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Planted Member

One way to work the razor blade on the plastic is to place it perpendicular to the plastic and then move it side to side. that way you don't dig into the plastic with every stroke. for a visual: imagine scratching a scratch ticket with a coin

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

i got my filter and my light in yesterday! as well as a lovely plant from aaront (echinodorus tricolor), which i popped in my 5g tank until i can get this one set up.

Last edited by prettyrustyrobot; 08-20-2008 at 12:15 PM.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

okay. i've been doing some reading and research. and i've compiled a plant list that MIGHT work. please correct me if any of these are incompatible with what i am trying to accomplish.

echinodorus vesuvius
bacopa myriophylloides
potamogeton gayi
ozelot sword
echinodorus tenellus
ludwigia cuba (lots of this!)
cabomba pulcherrima (maybe, seems to be a central american plant...but i love it)
heteranthera zosterifolia
alternathera reineckii v. rosaefolia
echinodorus barthii
vallisnera americana
echinodorus rigidfolius

and the closest thing to a south american moss i can find is willow moss. am i missing something? i may cheat a tiny bit as far as that goes. aquaticmagic on ebay is selling this star moss that i think is gorgeous...

help! i have never designed a scape before. my aquasoil/powersand should be in on friday and i'll start getting things together. if anyone has any of the above plants for sale, please let me know.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

plant help, anyone?
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
How's this tank coming along?

The paint on the trim is going to be a bitch to get off, I would consider just re-painting the trim with black paint. The paint on the glass should come off with the razor (if you haven't done this already).

Your plant selection should work, although I suspect that even one of the dwarf swords will start to look/feel 'cramped'. The Val. Americana will grow higher than your tank and then spread on the sruface, possibly blocking out light to other plants - I would scratch that off the list myself.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would agree, the same val in my 80 is almost too much. It's a 4 foot tank and it easily grows across the top and back if it isn't trimmed weekly.

A good page for moss id is here: http://www.aquamoss.net/

80 gal planted thread:

filstar pimp #146 Dual-ing XP3's
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks, guys!

is there any other tall background plant that would be a good match for my tank?

all of the silicone got scraped out last week (using this guide i found via google and it was an AWESOME resource! resealing aquariums.)

got the tank resealed last night and i will be filling it up with water tomorrow night so it can sit for a few days and see if it is going to hold.

i've got pretty much everything i need. i think i'm going to hang my magnum canister on my 5g tank and cut the flow way way back and see if i can get it nice and dirty for my new tank. i have some carbon and some keta-peat nuggets (with media bags!) to put in the filter as well. i read good stuff about the keta-peat nuggets, but i was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with using them in a blackwater tank?

i've ordered some plants from the awesome users in the swap-n-shop and they'll hang out in my 5g until i'm ready to pop them in the new tank.

thanks so much for your replies!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

alright. i am almost ready to fill this sucker up and get it planted.

water tested it for a day and some change after letting the new silicone cure for two days. (i'll be getting it set up on a better stand before it gets filled with water, don't worry!)

the silicone looks a little sloppy, but i kind of expected that for a first try. and i didn't get all of the paint off of the bottom because i figured nobody's going to see it anyway.

dumped in the powersand and patted it all flat:

started to fill with the AS amazonia powder type (which feels really neat and looks lovely!):

popped the light on the top to see how it looks, and voila!

i'm going to pick up a few small pieces of slate this afternoon. i think i'm going to try to recess a cave into the back left corner and slope the substrate a little higher on that corner. i still have a whole bag and a bit left over.

the slate will probably be the only stones in my hardscape. i might pick up a few extra pieces to mess around with. and i'll be ordering a nice big chunk of driftwood from aqua forest. i don't really want to spend as much as it costs, but that old black wood looks so nice and i already have two small pieces of it in my existing tanks.

thanks for looking! any plant suggestions are extremely welcomed.

(i've got some l. cuba, low-grow hygro, e. vesuvius, and echinodorus tricolor waiting in the wings. along with some wisteria and sunset hygro to act as nutrient hogs while i cycle!)
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
that cleaned up nicely.

Good job on the fast-growers for the initial growout. Keep us updated!

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode