Dooboogoo's 29 gal planted Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Dooboogoo's 29 gal planted Journal

So I finally moved in to my new apt, tore down my 10g and my 5.5g and combined everything into a 29g....all in two days. My parents came into town and helped my roommate and I move. We rented a truck, but only had it for like 6 hours, so we were a little rushed. Here are a few pics:

from the front

from the side

As you can see, the plants are kinda all balled up. I was too busy unpacking that I wasn't able to do this neatly...oh well. All the fish made it ok, I was especially worried about my GBR, which was in a tank without heat or filtration for a day before it made the move into the new tank, which at first, didn't have heat. Right now, they've been in the tank for like 5 hours and everything seems well (knock on wood). The fish are eating, my galaxy rasboras and endlers are well colored, but my B. brigittae and GBR are a bit pale, hopefully they're just adjusting...and I've started planting and scaping.

The specs:

30" 130W Satellite fixture (currently one dual 6700k/10000k and one dual actinic bulb - soon to be replaced by two 9325K bulbs) I'll be running one bulb for 10 hours with a 2-3 hour noon burst. Moonlight will be on at night.

Pressurized CO2 (SuMo regulator without solenoid and redsea diffuser) If I wanted to add a solenoid, which I probably do, how could I do it?

Rena Xp2 filter with 150W smart heater on the intake. I have a pair of the acrylic flowpipes from fishman9809 that I'll be putting on later.

3 bags regular Flourite (really happy that after 2 hours of rinsing i'm having very little cloudiness)

Flora:

Hygrophila polysperma "sunset"
Lysimachia numularia (creeping jenny)
Aponogeton undulatus
Echinodorus amazonicus
Ludwigia repens
Cryptocoryne wendtii bronze
Glossostigma elatinoides

Fauna:

1 Microgeophagus ramirezi (Blue ram)
8 Celestichthys margaritatus (Galaxy rasbora/Celestial pearl danio)
7-8 B. brigittae (Chili rasbora, don't remember the count)
Poecilia wingei (Endlers livebearers)
1 otto

Last edited by dooboogoo; 09-25-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Planted most of the plants and started scaping (New fish! 9/11/08)

So...Lessons learned in the first four days of this tank:
1) Never leave fast growing plants in your 10g untrimmed for three weeks under mid-high light, CO2 and ferts because you're moving them into a new 29g.
2) Never, in a rush, just pull the buttload of plants from lesson 1 and put them in the new 29g.
3) Never dump all your hardscape, plants, and fish in the tank and expect scaping it to be easy.

Yep. I think that pretty much covers what I learned in the 5 hours I've spent working on this tank today. I'm not satisfied with it, I was tired of seeing a ball of plants floating around. That, and I think some of them were melting so the plants right now aren't in that good a shape. I threw out a ton of my sunset hygro cuz they grew in a huge tangle (try about 20 stems growing under pretty much optimum conditions for 3 weeks in a 10g)...

I put in some new rocks I found by the railroad and most of the manzanita from Badcopnofish. I don't think I'm gonna use them all, but this is just a start with the scape. I really had no idea what I wanted, except heavy planting on one side and hardscape on the other. I'll keep playing around later this week.

Anyway, here're some pics of what I did today:

from the left

from the right

This is my first attempt at any aquascaping so any comments/ideas/critiques on the tank are welcome. (I was a studio arts major, so I can take a critique)

ps. I'll be getting a black or white background sometime soon.

Last edited by dooboogoo; 09-11-2008 at 09:49 PM.
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just some more pics and playing around with my camera. I think these are better pics than before, so...

FTS: its pretty much clearer than before. I haven't changed anything, maybe it'll look better once the plants grow in.

My one otto so far.

The male GBR. I'm hoping to get him a partner (maybe they'll pair up...?) hopefully he'll be more colorful. Right now, the dark spot is visible only when he's eating. And I think here I caught him with a mouthful of an RCS...

Here's my school of CPDs. I only have 8 but they seem to be everywhere in my 29g. (I wanna get more)

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:04 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Your fish are beautiful! I love your wood too!

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks clwatkins10! I'm still not satisfied with the placement of the wood, so I'll probably play around with it this weekend.

Anyone know a good root tab? I'm thinking my crypts, echinodorus, and probably glosso would love that.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, so this is mainly for fishman9809, lol. I ordered a pair of his acrylic flow pipes and I was finally able to install them today. So there are some pics of them. I still have plant debris floating around so the intake isn't so clean.

I just got to say that I'm getting a ton of flow from the outtake. And they are crystal clear in the water. They didn't fit inside the tubes of my XP2 so I bought clear flexible tubing from marinedepot.com and it's working out pretty well.

I'll also have to invest in an inline heater cuz the one i have right now is taking up a lot more space than I would like and I think it'll help reduce the flow coming from the filter.

I'm gonna wait till my stems grow a bit taller to start scaping...but it seems I can't keep my hands off the tank. I also added echinodorus angustifolia, blyxa japonica, pogostemon stellatus, and ludwigia arcuata. I got my 9235K bulbs the other day but I'm still waiting on my straight pin to square pin CF adaptors, and when that happens I'll be in business! I'll also be adding a female companion for my male GBR but I doubt they'll pair up as I think he's about 3-4 months old. I'm gonna get more ottos too and add more chili rasboras and cpds.

And there aren't anymore endlers in this tank. I found that they made way too many babies. I tried to get rid of them before but missed 2 females and two months later I had 10 endlers with fry being dropped every week or so. If anyone wants some class p black bar endlers around the Pittsburgh area, they're yours.
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I decided on running a 65W dual 6500K/10000K CF lamp for 8 hours with three hours of the 9325K. The glosso's starting to spread horizonally, so hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have a decent carpet. I am getting a slight GSA outbreak.

I'm totally not sure if this was a good idea, but I went to the LFS today and got the last remaining Blue Ram female they had. It's a juvie, so it's not really colored up yet...I put it in the tank after lights out and my male is now noticeably colored up all the time now. I used to think it was stress, but I'm pretty sure he was just lonely. Anyway, he's kinda always chasing her around. I don't think its stressing her out, though, she's not hanging around at the top of the tank all the time, there's a few hiding spaces for her, and she's eating. I'm keeping an eye on them, but they're not stressing me yet. Anyway, here are a couple more pics just cuz I like taking them.

the female

the male, look how much more colored he is than last time!

now just some random shrimp...

post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Awesome GBRs!
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! the male loves sitting in front of the camera, lol
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooboogoo View Post
What's that plant in the foreground? Is it Glosso?

And nice looking tank! I love that Manzanita wood

And sorry to burst your bubble, but Rams will eat baby shrimp, and may harass adults

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
What's that plant in the foreground? Is it Glosso?

And nice looking tank! I love that Manzanita wood

And sorry to burst your bubble, but Rams will eat baby shrimp, and may harass adults
Yeah, I got a handful of glosso from here, but it was floating in my old 10g for a week or so, so I lost a bit of it. I got the wood from badcopnofish at the SnS.

As for the Rams and shrimp. I'm pretty sure all the fish will eat the baby shrimp, but I'm banking on eventually having enough cover for SOME babies to survive. And my ram doesn't bother with the adults. The larger shrimp even start eating food that drops right in front of him. I do keep him well fed though.
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
It looks Very Nice!
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks demonbreedr16!

I'm getting a little camera happy, so I apologize in advance....but I came back today and saw that my female GBR has really colored up! She doesn't have the orange coloring yet, but her black spots are definitely there and you can see a little pink on her belly (or that's just me)! The male's been following her around a lot, you guys think they'll pair up? I've had the male for about 1.5 months now and he was a little larger than she is right now when I got her (maybe 1-1.25"). I know they're a little picky when it comes to finding a partner...

On another note, I found a chili rasbora in my filter today. Must've gotten sucked in before i switched the pipes. That means I think I only lost 1 fish in the move!

So...more pics...

look at them swimming together!!

post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
She looks like a little kid following a teenager! LMAO! That's really cute!
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
She looks like a little kid following a teenager! LMAO! That's really cute!
lol she totally does!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode