Bk's 55g Planted *Picture HEAVY* 11-17-08 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
Bk's 55g Planted *Picture HEAVY* 11-17-08

A few weeks back I managed to find a decent 55g tank setup for sale on ebay. Well after a few non stop bids I managed to get the tank for an awesome price.
The Setup included: Perfecto Tank, wooden stand, hood with light and I managed to get an eheim canister filter from the seller as well.
(ebay photo of the tank)

Once I got the tank home I began cleaning it/testing it for leaks.. Well after tank was 1/4 filled.. what do you know.. A darn crack at the brace, and as the tank filled more the gap got larger and larger until it just snapped completely. The whole top frame looked weathered and im glad it happened now and not when the tank was already up and running.
I tried contacting the seller to see if he can perhaps work with me and split the cost of a new brace.. well that *BEEP* ignored me completely..

So I went ahead and ordered a new frame with brace from ThatFishPlace (but comes from perfecto directly)

Then it was time to get the broken frame off.. Was a real pain in the behind and left me with tons of cuts on the fingers

Lucky me I live on same coast as thatfishplace so i got the brace pretty fast.
Used GE Silicone I to glue the new frame w/ brace back on the tank
Let the silicone cure for 2-3 days and then placed the tank in its new location.. Added a few shims to level out the tank and BAM lol tank was ready to be worked on

Got together with a few NY members and managed to get a nice manzanita wood package from Badcopnofishtank. (Thanks Jake for the custom package)

I had a few granite stones laying which my brother and I collected a while back for his african cichlid tank. But the problem was that they were all 2 big. So i took the largest one and went to work..
It was impossible to just break the stone up with a plain ol hammer so I went BIG!! lol
Electric hammer and electric drill.

Final result.. variety of nice stones

The the soaking process began. Filled a few 1L bottles with water to hold down the wood.

Waited a few days, helped a friend with his new planted tank and then my scaping began.
After messing for a good hour and half with the wood I came up with this:

But changed a few things later on by adding more branches towards the center..

Thanks to mgamer got a few nice big anubias which actually filled in the scape well.

more updates to come soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bk828; 11-17-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice wood! will become great setup
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
The anubias looks really nice with the wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

oops sorry forgot all about updating the tank on this board..
Well i got the tank filled and transfered almost all my plants from the other tanks here.
Here are some random shots of the tank. I do not have any plant scape yet since im trying to get rid of plenty of plants (please check out my thread in classified) Once the extra plants (ones floating) are gone then i can start worrying about making it look "balanced".. so thats just a warning lol

Enjoy

Though the scape isnt done, i did manage to finish the placement of all the equipment (okay most forgot to hide the co2 line). Got the Eheim running on the left side and the fluval on the right. Both give the tank nice flow so theres no dead spots. Also got to love the stealth heater, truly is stealthy :P

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Still didnt have a chance to mess with the tank. Waiting to get a co2 regulator next week, then can finally upgrade to pressurized. Also have to upgrade a light bulb, since one of the bulbs is only 18w and the other is 55w.
Well ive been posting updates on other boards so might as well share a video here.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Heres another

And introduction of a new female ram..

Tank is still no where near how I want it to be. Still waiting on a pressurized co2 setup, hope that happens before school starts since not sure how much time i will have to mess with the tank then.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Your plants look really nice for no CO2. You must be doing something right! I imagine when you upgrade your light you will have no choice but to have the CO2 or you'll be raising algae!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
Your plants look really nice for no CO2. You must be doing something right! I imagine when you upgrade your light you will have no choice but to have the CO2 or you'll be raising algae!
I actually took a temporary cheap way out of upgrading the bulb. My homedepot sells 55w 5500K bulbs for $7 so i got that for now. The light is very yellow compared to 6700, but as long as plants are able to grow good thats all that matters for now. And the only co2 i am running now is 3L diy diffused via canister filter. So far most plants are holding up.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM

Very pretty Bk.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygrl View Post
Very pretty Bk.
lol hey there stranger. And thanks for the comment

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Tank is looking really nice

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 AM

How about some updates!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:51 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Hey, I didnt know this tank was here. And is that kygirl?

-Chris

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys/gals..
Sorry late with the updates.. Yesterday spent 8hrs+ redoing the tank from the ground up..
Here are some before shots of the tank..

And the work that was done yesterday...
Took out all the driftwood, cleaned it and started to work on a new look..

And the final product

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Nice! How is all the wood attached? Just zip-ties?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode