A few weeks back I managed to find a decent 55g tank setup for sale on ebay. Well after a few non stop bids I managed to get the tank for an awesome price.
The Setup included: Perfecto Tank, wooden stand, hood with light and I managed to get an eheim canister filter from the seller as well.
(ebay photo of the tank)
Once I got the tank home I began cleaning it/testing it for leaks.. Well after tank was 1/4 filled.. what do you know.. A darn crack at the brace, and as the tank filled more the gap got larger and larger until it just snapped completely. The whole top frame looked weathered and im glad it happened now and not when the tank was already up and running.
I tried contacting the seller to see if he can perhaps work with me and split the cost of a new brace.. well that *BEEP* ignored me completely..
So I went ahead and ordered a new frame with brace from ThatFishPlace (but comes from perfecto directly)
Then it was time to get the broken frame off.. Was a real pain in the behind and left me with tons of cuts on the fingers
Lucky me I live on same coast as thatfishplace so i got the brace pretty fast.
Used GE Silicone I to glue the new frame w/ brace back on the tank
Let the silicone cure for 2-3 days and then placed the tank in its new location.. Added a few shims to level out the tank and BAM lol tank was ready to be worked on
Got together with a few NY members and managed to get a nice manzanita wood package from Badcopnofishtank. (Thanks Jake for the custom package)
I had a few granite stones laying which my brother and I collected a while back for his african cichlid tank. But the problem was that they were all 2 big. So i took the largest one and went to work..
It was impossible to just break the stone up with a plain ol hammer so I went BIG!! lol
Electric hammer and electric drill.
Final result.. variety of nice stones
The the soaking process began. Filled a few 1L bottles with water to hold down the wood.
Waited a few days, helped a friend with his new planted tank and then my scaping began.
After messing for a good hour and half with the wood I came up with this:
But changed a few things later on by adding more branches towards the center..
Thanks to mgamer got a few nice big anubias which actually filled in the scape well.
more updates to come soon.