My Revivalist 29 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
My Revivalist 29 gallon tank

So, I'm not really known for my fantastic aquascapes or anything, but I felt like sharing as I've been reading up on how to do CO2 lately and I thought I'd get some photographic evidence of the tank before I did that.

Before I show my tank now, I just thought I should give a bit of an explanation.

About nine months ago, I got back into World of Warcraft again, which is about as addicting as crack, and made me not do anything productive at all. So. For the longest time I didn't do ANYTHING with my tanks other than feed the fish and change the water. Also, when I changed the water, I just dumped the water in so it would be faster. This, of course, resulted in everything getting over-grown, and then all the under growth dying off, and all my nice red and green ludwigia ending up as floaters on the top of all of my tanks... (My other tanks have other plants in them, too, but we're just looking at my 29 right now.)

Then, a month ago, I started taking Aikido three days a week, which meant that I really had very little time to play warcraft. After a while, I realized that I didn't really want to play world of warcraft anymore, and that my fish were sad in their depressing little tanks, and that I needed to do something about them.

So, I spent the last couple of weeks buying plants and visiting all the fish stores in a 25 mile radius of my home for ideas, a couple of fish, plants, drift wood, etc., presumably for my little 20 gallon that I'm still not happy with yet so I'm not going to show it.

But all my excess stuff went into my 29, and I think it's starting to look pretty nice. Nice enough to make me want to try some DIY CO2.

Anyway, enough babbling, here's some photos.

This is my tank with the flash. You can really see what remains of a massive algae infestation on the back and side walls there.

Here it is without the flash. Algae doesn't look quite as bad with no flash. There are actually two fish in there. That angel, and a BN pleco - the majority of the reason why I can see in at all is because of my pleco.

Got my angel to pose.

This is HOW I got my angel to pose. Otherwise he was too interested in what the camera was doing and kept facing it. Angels aren't nearly as interesting looking head on...

And uh, this is my cat, who is terribly disinterested in anything that I do.

So, comments appreciated... I'll be starting CO2 when I can find the time to go to the store and when I can find a check valve, and a T ... valve... thing for my airline tubing... and when I finish these two liter bottles of soda I picked up. bleh... so much soda.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I fretted about how to make a diffuser, and finally just went online and found one that looked nice:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...15&c=3578+3747

and doesn't cost $75 like the Amano one.

(I don't honestly need some $75 trinket from Japan that's just going to be stuck behind some driftwood somewhere...)

I also got some T valves and some suction cups for airline tubing, and an extra check valve in case I don't like how the one built into the diffuser works. It was all very cheap, which I like.

Now I just need to finish off those soda bottles and pick up some extra long zip ties, or those long metal zip-tie-type-things they use in duct work.

I might go digging in the recycling bin to see if I can find some used 2liters in there when I get back from class tonight.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
nice tank, all u gotta do is clean up the algae on the glass and in my opnion, change the substrate, keep us updated

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
and u might wanna just buy a diffuser from ebay (thats what i did) mines costed $6.00 total and it works GREAT
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welllllll... I hate ebay. lol. The algae is on its way to being clean - since it's plastic, I really only trust myself to use my thumbnail to scrape the stuff off, and there's only so much of that I can take.

You don't like my substrate? I was kind of thinking of this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...tid=4870&rel=1

But I don't know if I want to spend 70-90 bucks on dirt for such a small tank. So far, the only flourite I've seen has been 1 bag of the red stuff at one of my LFSs, and eco-complete... I see one bag once in a while if I drive all around to each store.

I can always get more Tahitian Moon Sand:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pCatId=7324

'cause I can get that locally, and it's actually what I've got in every single other tank other than this one, and the 5 gallon with eco complete. I wanted to try something lighter in this one, so here it is. lol...

And I don't really like red substrates.

But if I'm going to do CO2, I can see your point with going with something that has a little more... oomph.

Also I suppose it wouldn't hurt for me to figure out how to not over-expose my poor images with my camera. those whites don't need to be glaring sooooo much.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I get my CO2 thing working noticeably, I'll clean up the tank and take another photo and post it for posterity.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode