Time for an update. We had visitors (winter in Florida - no one comes here in the summer!), so I've been sidelined on painting.
But I revived work on the lights. I have four Satellite LED+ fixtures, which have remote controls, but have no timer. So I decided to use a Raspberry Pi to make a remote control for them.
Here's the breadboard of the circuit for testing:
I mounted the Pi itself under the cabinet and powered it from the ATX power supply I had made up some time before. Here's the power supply with me pulling off the new wiring, and the pi on the center/left for testing.
I found the power supply (basically an old computer supply I would have otherwise thrown away) had plenty of power on the standby line for the Pi (purple wire if you're curious). I thought about using the Pi itself to turn the power supply "on" (short green to ground) but I measured some currents -- the no-load "on" power is 150ma (121V) and the no-load standby is 89ma, so there is not much power savings (though the fan does not run in standby, it's silent).
So I'm leaving the power supply "on" all the time, and driving the lights, controlling their IR receivers by the IR Transmitter.
Here's the completed Pi under the cabinet (the micro USB runs to the power supply, I added a headset adapter to take the IR sensor up to the top).
This is the part of the cabinet that will hold the wiring. It will remain on top when the back cabinet is removed (which hides the plumbing) so the wiring is not attached to the normally-removed part.
This has not been sanded and finished yet; the black paint is because I reused a piece of wood that already had paint, but all this gets cleaned, sanded, and painted later (along with some hooks to hold the extra wire underneath).
In the above each sensor is in a little niche cut into the wood. That raw wood piece (paint comes later) will back up to the rest of the cabinet.
The emitter is an issue. It is a bit too directional to be this close, it does not illuminate the receivers uniformly, and sometimes they "miss" a signal. At the moment I have a little hood made of aluminum foil over the top, which works (mostly), but isn't permanent. Here's the front side you can see it better.
I'm going to look at a diffuser instead of a reflector. But at the moment it works good enough to go back to painting, and now I don't have to manually control the lights.
Here's what the web based remote looks like. I can run it from any web device (phone, computer, tablet, etc.) in the house, plus it has a schedule (at the bottom) it follows if not told otherwise.