My leap of faith (aka 220 Gallon Low Tech) - Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hmmm... need some fabric for the center, will look at this. I can see how it would work on big flat areas. Not sure about shaping it on the corners. Probably not follow the miter cut on the 45, but go across with a strip? Or buy a huge sheet and not cut it at all, just waste the center perhaps? That sounds promising if it's not too pricey.

I'm going to keep sanding and painting but I have a spare frame (made it the wrong size, slightly) and may test some vinyl as a backup.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 214 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
it's easier to just get a bigger piece and reuse the middle parts for another project. For the corners you want to cut a slit into the corner so it will lay down around the edge and come together when applied. You might see a little seem but it's not very distracting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #108 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I never found the vinyl. I kept painting. I didn't finish but we had guests coming this week, so I was told to put what I had together. Time for pictures. There's at least three of the panels that need repainting (unless I get depressed and think ALL of them need another coat), but at least it is starting to look like the final product.

The wood colored piece at the top is unfinished as it is where the wiring will go for the 4 LED+ light IR receivers and the computer control transmitted. Haven't figured out quite how to attach that, but that piece is separate from the periscope-like piece that hides the plumb, so that the plumbing can be accessed without disconnecting the wiring (this small wood colored (will be black) piece will stay behind.

It's downright hypnotic now to look at it when sitting in the living room. I had never just sat and looked before (was always working on it, painting, sanding the paint off, painting, repeat).

I'm a bit annoyed that it has some haze in the tank. Two of the three filters were freshly cleaned about 4 days ago. Up close it looks like tiny particles, it's been there for a while and not changing much. And there's a bit of scum on the top, so it might be bacteria of some sort. There's a lot of aeration, but the scum doesn't go away, so maybe not enough. A project for later I guess.

Linwood

Latest tank build:

post #109 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks great!
post #110 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Well done sir, that came together perfect.

You have a beautiful tank, but no house plants with those huge windows?

post #111 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
You have a beautiful tank, but no house plants with those huge windows?
That's my wife's job, but she puts most of her efforts into the outside plants (we do not have all that many either).

So I needed a planted tank! (Doesn't bode well perhaps for those plants peace of mind, but... )

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #112 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nice house man. If I may ask, what do you do for a living? I see you got the house, boat, and even a piano! =\
post #113 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very nice setup!

|
|
post #114 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Time for an update. We had visitors (winter in Florida - no one comes here in the summer!), so I've been sidelined on painting.

But I revived work on the lights. I have four Satellite LED+ fixtures, which have remote controls, but have no timer. So I decided to use a Raspberry Pi to make a remote control for them.

Here's the breadboard of the circuit for testing:

I mounted the Pi itself under the cabinet and powered it from the ATX power supply I had made up some time before. Here's the power supply with me pulling off the new wiring, and the pi on the center/left for testing.

I found the power supply (basically an old computer supply I would have otherwise thrown away) had plenty of power on the standby line for the Pi (purple wire if you're curious). I thought about using the Pi itself to turn the power supply "on" (short green to ground) but I measured some currents -- the no-load "on" power is 150ma (121V) and the no-load standby is 89ma, so there is not much power savings (though the fan does not run in standby, it's silent).

So I'm leaving the power supply "on" all the time, and driving the lights, controlling their IR receivers by the IR Transmitter.

Here's the completed Pi under the cabinet (the micro USB runs to the power supply, I added a headset adapter to take the IR sensor up to the top).

This is the part of the cabinet that will hold the wiring. It will remain on top when the back cabinet is removed (which hides the plumbing) so the wiring is not attached to the normally-removed part.

This has not been sanded and finished yet; the black paint is because I reused a piece of wood that already had paint, but all this gets cleaned, sanded, and painted later (along with some hooks to hold the extra wire underneath).

In the above each sensor is in a little niche cut into the wood. That raw wood piece (paint comes later) will back up to the rest of the cabinet.

The emitter is an issue. It is a bit too directional to be this close, it does not illuminate the receivers uniformly, and sometimes they "miss" a signal. At the moment I have a little hood made of aluminum foil over the top, which works (mostly), but isn't permanent. Here's the front side you can see it better.

I'm going to look at a diffuser instead of a reflector. But at the moment it works good enough to go back to painting, and now I don't have to manually control the lights.

Here's what the web based remote looks like. I can run it from any web device (phone, computer, tablet, etc.) in the house, plus it has a schedule (at the bottom) it follows if not told otherwise.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #115 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Planted Member

Wow, that's a wonderful looking aquarium. It's a great centerpiece for that beautiful living room.

David

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #116 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

BAD BAD BAD Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Scour Pads BAD BAD BAD

Never, ever again.

I thought these could not scratch glass, but was I wrong. Brand new pad in hand, thoroughly rinsed in filtered water, I set off to remove some scum on the glass. Two swipes and I see something that looks like a spider web (but under water). Swipe again - maybe a long thin root -- now I have two.

Brand new glass and it's scratched, fortunately in a way visible mainly looking down from above.

No, I didn't touch the sand first, I was very careful. I was about 18" above the sand, just cleaning scum and a tiny bit of GSA.

Never gain.

I looked around on the internet and see a few other places people say it does/can scratch glass, and despite all those who say it cannot -- they are wrong.

Maybe there are types that will not, but I'm not going to be the test subject to find out. No more scotch brite.

I'm back to my long razor scraping blade. Razor blades will not scratch glass!! It just takes a bit longer to clean scum with them.

BAD BAD BAD Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Scour Pads BAD BAD BAD

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #117 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Such a wonderful build! Love the progress

Fluval Chi 5G: Honey Gouramis, Betta, & Neon Tetra x4
post #118 of 214 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Planted Member

A razor can scratch glass, and I did so on my 180 gallon oceanic reef. The same thing happened using those garbage "algae float" magnet things. What's worse is that algae ALWAYS manages to grow in the scratches first, making them all plainly visible.

On this tank, I usually use a plastic credit card for stubborn slimy stuff. Once a week I give the inside of the tank a quick "10 minute" wipe-down with a folded wet paper towel. Yes, I totally ripped that idea off of Tom Barr. Anyways, it's something to do other than just sitting there waiting for the tank to fill up.

Other than once a week, I don't bother cleaning the algae. Not enough of it grows to really notice.

Bump: PS: You're a genius with the electronics. That's awesome.
post #119 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
What a gorgeous aquarium!

post #120 of 214 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

BigJay180: I think a razor can scratch only glass if it gets something like a grain of sand in it, or you actually hit it hard and chip it. It shouldn't be able to scratch normal annealed glass. It shouldn't be hard enough. Unless they changed that since I took geology a bazillion years ago? That said, it's pretty easy to get a microscopic piece of dirt on the razor edge.

SleepyOwl, Regenesis: Thank you.

Linwood

Latest tank build:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode