My Shrimp tank....then and now...... UPDATE 08/15/2008 pic heavy!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)
Smile My Shrimp tank....then and now...... UPDATE 08/15/2008 pic heavy!!!

Hello all.....I thought that I would post photos of my ever evolving shrimp tank....I started it back in midsummer 2007 and I started with a eclipse 3 gallon. After a year and 2 moves it has turned into a eclipse 12 gallon.

Specs

Eco complete
driftwood x2
Java fern
Java Moss
Japanese Moss balls
Cambomba(sp)
Vals
tiger lotus
duckweed
Chain sword

Currently the tank houses
Cherries-started with 7 and I dont know how many are now there...would guess close to 50
Bumblebee-started with 5...Ive seen 2 here lately
celestial Pearl danio-7 of these beauties!!
28w T5(2 14 w bulbs)

Here what it looked like summer 2007

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 91KB.

and this is what it looks like now

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 123KB.

Here is one of the Celestial Pearl Danios
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 85KB.

and here is one of my berried cherries.....I saw tonite that I have aleast 4....cant wait for babies!!!!

If you look closely you can see the algae I have been fighting for awhile now. It gets intertwined with my Java Moss and japanese Moss balls and grows fairly fast. Right now lights are on for 8 hours and I dose with excel several times a week....along with sporadic water changes. Would upping the constistancies of the water changes take care of that or do i need to do something else?

Last edited by wrangler; 08-16-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good. My hair algae stopped growing when I started using DIY CO2. After it stops growing, then you can just pull it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use to have hair algae but don't have it now and now I have DIY CO2 so I would try that.

Yoyr tank looks really good though. i like the lily

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
So what did you do to mod the lighting for that tank. I have a 12 gallon eclipse just sitting around and now that I see yours I can do the same thing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I removed the hood/cover that came with the eclipse and replaced it with a 24 inch coralife t5 hood......2 bulbs. It is slightly big for the tank...ie it hangs over the edges alittle over an inch each side.....but I can grow plants in the tank now!

On a good note I am slowly working on my 28 gal bowfont...........does anyone know where I can find replacement hoses for a Fluval 204? I am moving my tank and now have an actual stand for my 28...but the hoses on the fluval now are custom cut to sit right next to the tank....and the stand that I have now the fluval with sit below the tank......

thanks for the complements...!

BTW I brought my DIY CO2 kit and am set to start running that on the 12 gal tank........
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
black hair algae is a directly caused by a lack of co2.. once you correct this it will go away.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
I removed the hood/cover that came with the eclipse and replaced it with a 24 inch coralife t5 hood......2 bulbs. It is slightly big for the tank...ie it hangs over the edges alittle over an inch each side.....but I can grow plants in the tank now!

On a good note I am slowly working on my 28 gal bowfont...........does anyone know where I can find replacement hoses for a Fluval 204? I am moving my tank and now have an actual stand for my 28...but the hoses on the fluval now are custom cut to sit right next to the tank....and the stand that I have now the fluval with sit below the tank......

thanks for the complements...!

BTW I brought my DIY CO2 kit and am set to start running that on the 12 gal tank........
You should be able to get it at Big Al's or Marine Depot. One of those places should have it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

major rescape 8/15/2008....Picture heavy!!!!

ok everyone......I did a major rescape last night. I couldnt stand the algae anymore and took everything out and cleaned it off. He is what that tank looks like now......taken 30 minutes after the rescape. And if you look you can see the drift wood that was in the tank but was always hidden!!

If you look you can see the my tiger lotus is now sending up leaves to the surface...it hasnt done that for over a year.........I was worried that it was dying for the longest time.

And here you can see these little plants that i seperated to do the replant....they too were growing....not sure what they are.....but I moved them to the front so they could be in the light more......I hope they continue to spread and cover the whole "riverbed" I made.

And here you can see the 2 tiger lotus plantlents I found when I took everything out!! Exciting right? Plus the large one on the left had another attached as well....so that is 4 tiger lotus from one plant!!!

On an interesting note I added back some eco-complete from an old bag that I had......and noticed that it was more black compared to what was already in the tank.......which is a red color....or at least has alot of red in it.......interesting....I prefer the all black color over the red coloration........

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode