20 gallon Long journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wink 20 gallon Long journal

ok heres a picture of my 20 long that i have. tell me of what you think about it for now or any suggestions. my substrates are regular black gravel on the bottom layer then i have a bag of flourite black on top. i just have java fern in there now. but i am planning to buy some java moss, anubias and more java fern next week maybe. i am going to make this a low-light tank.

Last edited by ddtran46; 08-06-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
if you ever go high light you'll have a great hardscape to plant around
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
So you did make a journal! Good stuff
You hard scape looks great. I really love your drift wood. Are you planning to tie some Java Moss on it? That would look really nice.
Are you thinking about putting in any stem plants in the back? And what about a foreground plant?
Can't wait to see this move along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu-chan View Post
So you did make a journal! Good stuff
You hard scape looks great. I really love your drift wood. Are you planning to tie some Java Moss on it? That would look really nice.
Are you thinking about putting in any stem plants in the back? And what about a foreground plant?
Can't wait to see this move along.
yeah i am planning to tie some moss and java fern on the driftwood once i get some. foregound plants.....i dont know if i am going to have foreground plants. do you know any foreground plants that are low light? i dont want to make this a high llight tank because i already have a 10 gallon high light. im planning on making this a low light tank.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtran46 View Post
yeah i am planning to tie some moss and java fern on the driftwood once i get some. foregound plants.....i dont know if i am going to have foreground plants. do you know any foreground plants that are low light? i dont want to make this a high llight tank because i already have a 10 gallon high light. im planning on making this a low light tank.
Dwarf sags or marsilea sp. are both pretty low light. Dwarf sags aren't very "dwarf" though. The marsilea sp. looks right nice once it's grown out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu-chan View Post
Dwarf sags aren't very "dwarf" though.
I see people saying this quite often, and I've been meaning to take issue with this for a while now. I guess here's my chance! I've always used dwarf sag since my first planted tank, and it has always stayed very short. It makes me wonder if sometimes people think they have dwarf sag when really it's not? I don't know. I'm gonna go grab a picture right now, to show what I'm talking about...

Okay, here's a picture of dwarf sag in a 10 gallon. Looks pretty dwarf, n'est-ce pas?

And here's a picture of it in a 2.5g nano with low lighting:

And they never get any bigger than this. So I'm confused why people say dwarf sag gets tall?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
I see people saying this quite often, and I've been meaning to take issue with this for a while now. I guess here's my chance! I've always used dwarf sag since my first planted tank, and it has always stayed very short. It makes me wonder if sometimes people think they have dwarf sag when really it's not? I don't know. I'm gonna go grab a picture right now, to show what I'm talking about...

Okay, here's a picture of dwarf sag in a 10 gallon. Looks pretty dwarf, n'est-ce pas?

And here's a picture of it in a 2.5g nano with low lighting:

And they never get any bigger than this. So I'm confused why people say dwarf sag gets tall?
Hmm.. that is quite puzzling. I personally haven't grown it before, but in all the tanks I've looked at I hear people saying that it grows tall. Even in the Plant Profiles it states that it gets tall. You might be right that people just aren't getting the dwarf version. I'm not sure but I guess your tanks are proof that it does stay dwarf. Sorry for the mistake!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

do you know where i can get marsilea sp.? it looks beautiful i think. or do you think i should plant this tank or not?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
This is Dwarf Sag in eyebeatbadger's tank:

Try looking in the Swap & Shop for some Marselia, there's some great deals there

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks alot ZooTycoonMaster!! i will look at s&s soon.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok heres my tank. i decided that i am going to make this a java moss tank. i just put that anubias in there because it was getting bba from my other tank. hope you like it!!! any comments or suggestions?
frontal

right side

left side
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes. What did you do with the Java Fern? I really liked it. lol... but then I'm a pretty big fan of java fern when it's all grown in. (I wish it would do that for me)

otherwise, I'm really jealous of your incredibly simple, elegant hardscape.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangala View Post
Yes. What did you do with the Java Fern? I really liked it. lol... but then I'm a pretty big fan of java fern when it's all grown in. (I wish it would do that for me)

otherwise, I'm really jealous of your incredibly simple, elegant hardscape.
lol thanks for the comment Mangala i put the java fern into my 10 gallon planted tank because i didnt like how it looked in my 20gallon long.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, good luck! I was never quite able to get java moss to do anything for me....... but then I never had Mr. Clean the incredible bristlenose pleco before, who I just noticed takes extra care to clean anything and everything off of my mosses... (he doesn't eat the mosses) so maybe this time they'll do something and turn out nice. If you treat that java fern right, it'll totally take over your 10 gallon. (or, well, really it'll take over anything short of a pond... but that's what pruning is for!)

Anyway, it'll look really fantastic in a few months! Be sure and keep us posted.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to bolivianram123
your tank looks so nice! are you gonna add more plants other than mosses? if not its still gonna look nice and elegant, especially when that moss grows in. s00per jealous of that amazing looking piece of driftwood!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode