10 gallon journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking 10 gallon journal

This is my first journal, so bare with me haha. As you can see my aquascaping is kinda UGH , but im trying. there are java mosses tied onto the woods, and some willow moss but you can;t really see it in these pictures. Sorta have a tiny bit of a snail problem at the moment, dont know how .. every once in awhile i see new ones. then *squish* for them haha the white thing on the bottom is a bit of java moss sandwhiched in between, hopefully it'll grow out *someday* and the rotala to the left are growing new everything . Plants are somewhat pearling but you can't see it in the pics.

just want others opinion :P
well i recently started a 10 gallon setup, had this tank for awhile now. But decided to fix it back up again, i always been interested in aquarium plants and aquascaping. So i'm *trying* to go for that planted look haha

10 gallon
HOB Top Fin 30 filter
DIY co2 w/ hagen co2 ladder
lighting: 2 15 watts normal light that came with tank
Started dosing 5ml. of Plant GRO iron today

well, here it goes

left side

right side

middle

and a full tank shot

haha i know its not the best, but i'm trying :P what you guys think? any comments welcome, thanks.

Last edited by bill|408; 07-30-2008 at 07:44 AM. Reason: oopsies :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
um........
edit: Oh, I see it now

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CL; 07-30-2008 at 07:27 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

hey bill, I think you will have to wait for it to grow in more. What kind of lights do you have over it? Florecent/incandecent??? You did a good job spacing out the hairgrass in the foreground which should grow in nicely and the moss just takes awhile. I would add a hygro of some sorts as they are fast growers and will help balance the nutirents in your tank and fight algae. The hardest thing i have learned in this hobby is patience. Post another picture in about 2 months to show the growth!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

reddragon, my lightings are just normal flourescent bulbs .. nothing special yet. About the algae, so far .. theres none, maybe im just lucky or it takes times haha. Im figuring out what kind of stem plants i should get .. any suggestions? But heres a photo of the hairgrass, rooting quit nicely dont you think?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, its been a few days .. nothing much, rescaped the entire tank ..and hairgrass is starting to fill in, which is nice. Recently woked up and to my surprise was 4 rummy nose tetra haha, guess my moms freind bought it for me. Bad thing was that it wasnt properly introduced, but it seems to be doing fine, red on the nose, still a bit shy though :P

nice anubias huh?

here are the little guys
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Both setups look nice. The most recient on is better than the first. But the fat stick and that is what it looks like on the left really does not look too nice. But the forked branch with the moss is really nice. I would leave the set up with the exception of the stick on the left.

I personally don't care for moss walls that are on plastic or mesh media, they to me don't look natural. Many do however. If you want a moss wall do the complete back wall of the tank.

Let it grow in a while don't do anything until you see how the plants start to grow.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphish View Post
Both setups look nice. The most recient on is better than the first. But the fat stick and that is what it looks like on the left really does not look too nice. But the forked branch with the moss is really nice. I would leave the set up with the exception of the stick on the left.

I personally don't care for moss walls that are on plastic or mesh media, they to me don't look natural. Many do however. If you want a moss wall do the complete back wall of the tank.

Let it grow in a while don't do anything until you see how the plants start to grow.

thanks for the feedback. That ugly stick is just in there till my willow moss grows a little more, cant see it in the picture but its on the bottom, and the moss on the messes are just there till it grows. That whole empty space to the right is going to be all grass. Hmm i was thinking of some stem plants, but noone comes to mind .. any suggestions? thanks again
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
i like your anubias it must have costed alot for that much... hope to see more updates
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtran46 View Post
i like your anubias it must have costed alot for that much... hope to see more updates
haha nehh
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
bleh. only problem with the fat stick is that it looks like it's upside down (to me)

I'm looking closely at your hardscape, though... is the bark still on your sticks? If so, I'd take that off before it rots in your tank!

I do, very much, understand the temptation, though (I assume you got them from outside?). I've been on the lookout for branchy driftwood for a couple years now, to no avail. (I hate ordering things from the internet when it's for unique pieces that I want to hold in my hand to see first) So far, my plecos prefer my "wild caught" driftwood, but for appearances, I prefer the stuff I got in the store.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangala View Post
bleh. only problem with the fat stick is that it looks like it's upside down (to me)

I'm looking closely at your hardscape, though... is the bark still on your sticks? If so, I'd take that off before it rots in your tank!

I do, very much, understand the temptation, though (I assume you got them from outside?). I've been on the lookout for branchy driftwood for a couple years now, to no avail. (I hate ordering things from the internet when it's for unique pieces that I want to hold in my hand to see first) So far, my plecos prefer my "wild caught" driftwood, but for appearances, I prefer the stuff I got in the store.
LOL guess im not the only one i tried buying new branchy woods today at my LFS but i guess they didnt have any, so this is what im stuck with for now . And if you dont mind, can i see a picture . Thanks for the feedback very much appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode