Growing glosso emersed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
Growing glosso emersed

After seeing nate_mcnastys threads on emersed hc and his great success, I have decided to finally take a stab at growing glosso emersed.

Ive used a small chinese food take out dish (yum yum dim sum :P )
Filled it with soilmaster select that was taken out of an established tank.
Planted the glosso one by one and then filled it to the top of the gravel with tank water, covered that with saran wrap and placed it under 28w of light for 4-7hrs a day.

Heres a photo of it on the day of planting (excuse the dirt on the sides of the canister.. sms is very messy no matter how many times you wash it)
(7/19/08)

Photo of it today (7/27/08)
Nothing drastic, just slight growth

On about the 2nd-3rd day in I added more water to the substrate and with it i added a tiny amount of NPK. After that I left it alone for a few days. I noticed that as the water level went down some of the nodes started turning yellowish, so i had some die off. But after i readded the water to cover slightly above the substrate in a day the glosso picked up and gave out a few new nodes.

well thats all for now. ill be updating perhaps in a few weeks when the growth is more noticable.

Comments/suggestions are welcome..

Thanks for looking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks for experimenting, I'm getting ever closer to trying this method myself and any information is helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I started some HC emersed about the same day you did.... it seems that that first week or so it doesn't grow much, settling I guess. But it's starting to spread now!

I wonder which will form a carpet faster?

~Tori

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for looking.

Not sure which will form a faster carpet. It will probably depend on a few factors (temp/#hrs of light/soil used) but will still be interesting to see how each one goes.

I did get glosso in a so so shape during the 100 degree heat wave. But thanks to Orlando for being considerate and only asking shipping cost.

So im guessing you are right stargate, plants are only settling in first week. Will see what happens after this.

So far i actually have no ventilation in my setup. I was afraid to cut any holes in the saran wrap since i thought the moisture would escape and plant would just dry out.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You don't need any ventilation... just open the saran wrap and fan-out the stale air with your hand, daily.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the heads up church.

This might sound stupid.. But since my system is closed (no ventilation) would it effect the plants any way if i add a carbon source? (co2 from diy going straight to the container)

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Back in one of my college classes I did an experiment with terrestrial plants and adding DIY CO2. The variable group grew much faster than the control group. I think it would be worth a try. Below are some pictures of the set up.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

awesome. Thanks Wing.
Thats quiet a setup you had running there.

I went ahead and started injecting the co2 yesterday.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

almost another week (really 5 days) by and more growth..

8/1/08

Some upgrades to the emersed setup is injecting co2 directly to the canister (diy method)
Heres a photo:

slowly the glosso is spreading. Ive been somewhat inconsistent with the photo period.. but it ranged from 2-10hrs a day

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Based on the height of your glosso growth, I would be inclined to say that the lighting might not be strong enough. It looks like it is growing upwards rather than latterally which is usually an indication of inefficient lighting (in submerged systems at least).

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yee biscuit i blame it on my lack of keeping the light consistent.. some days i got home late and had light on for 1-2 hrs.
The light above it is 28w

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
give it sun.. a window or a roof, since you're brooklyn :P
My only worry is the heat so a window would be a better choice.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yee ill try setting it on a windowsill when i go out so it gets some light.

I tried growing hc a while back emersed and made the mistake of leaving it outside.. next day it all melted.

(lol roof, funny)

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think your glosso might be scared of Bruce!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to LondonDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LondonDragon
You don't need to pump CO2 into it :P there is plenty of CO2 in the air for the glosso already, just have to give it some light and some ferts
I have it growing emersed at the top of my tank, suspended on the filter spray bar together with some riccia to see if it flowers.

Good luck with the project!

Tags
emmersed growth, emmersed plant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode