MedRed's Hex: The 40 Gal Ying Yang (R.I.P. 01/2010) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
MedRed's Hex: The 40 Gal Ying Yang (R.I.P. 01/2010)

I don't know why I never really posted up this tank. It was started about a month before I bought my Cube... so I believe it began life in April. This tank really doens't have a scape. It's meant to house a lot of apistos, which means I have to provide a lot of hiding places, block lines of sight, and keep enough fish commotion so that they don't spot each other.

Not much of the hardscape is visible at all. The walls are first lined in plants, then driftwood and rocks go in front of those, and then plants in front of the driftwood.

My two main goals with this tank were opposing challenges: Place enough junk in it to keep the apistos from bugging each other, and to keep the middle as open as possible and utilize the shape of the tank to create depth.

My LFS was out of Flourite so I went with Flourite Red (big grains), Flourite Black (medium grains), and Flourite black sand (fine grains). The goal was to create the striation that is advertised in eco complete. It looks like it has worked. Because of the red substrata I decided to highlight red and use a lot of red plants.

This tank is one of my favorites because I can place however many plants I want in it and the more overgrown the better!

My foreground ground cover is E. Tenellus that I picked up from Macclellan (thanks!) it's just starting to fill in. Can't wait until it's nice and thick!

These pics are following a major trim... I should have taken pics before the trim... It was a jungle!

Lighting Bonus:

I'm using 1x65 watt Current USA 6700k/10,000k dual PC bulb, 1x55 GE 9325K bulb, and 1x 96 Coralife 10,000k PC bulb.

The 65 watt and 55 watt bulbs are in a 24" fixture at the back of the tank, The 96 watt is a 20" fixture which runs a 5 hour mid day burst at the front of the tank. You're probably thinking this is a lot of light, but I have only scraped algae from this tank once in it's life... and it was a minute mount of GSA on the front glass.

6700k/10000k combo bulb

9,325k - I stand by my belief that this bulb is too pink to use alone

6700k/10000k & 9,325k - what the tank looks like most of the day

6700k/1000k & 9,325K & 10000k - My mid day burst

10,000k- Keep in mind this is a different lamp and it's only over the front of the tank. It doesn't illuminate the same area as the others

And for giggles a few other pics.

Red Rubin

Red Melon Centerpiece

Flowering Anubias

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!

Last edited by MedRed; 03-21-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh Yeah...

The tank after about a month

The tank now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:50 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Very, very nice tank! Quite the fish collection as well -- looks like a very active tank!

No Pimp Club.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you roybot! it is very active. The situation was made worse because the fishies thought I was about to feed them!

post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

P.S. This is the tank i need a light stand for. The fixture in the front is a 20". The legs are standing on the glass. The 24" fixture behind it wont fit with legs on it. I either need something that would be a stand to fit the hex or something to lift the lights off the tank all together.

post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

going to redo this tank from the substrate up. Man I don't relish the idea of netting all of the fish and shrimp out of this tank.

post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
I don't envy you, that is going to be a lot of netting!

Looking forward to the rescape, any hints on what you are planning?

post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's official... The overhauling if this tank is almost complete! Here's a quick picture. Just finished filling it.

This has been another Medred Special Production!

post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That looks a lot better

-Chris

post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I like it!

What plant species did you narrow it down to?

How long before you put the fish back in; did you use mulm/established media/etc to auto-cycle, or are you doing something else?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Holy Cow! Now THAT is a rescape! Great Job. It will look great once everything fills in. Some blyxa in the left center and back right would look nice in there. Following this thread 100%.

Ehfipimp #340!!!
(2215)

post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
That looks a lot better
Thanks! judging by the lack of posts before I imagine there wasn't a lot of love for the jungle. The jungle allowed me to house 10 pairs of apistos. Now i'll be down to 2-3 pairs with this new scape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I like it!

What plant species did you narrow it down to?

How long before you put the fish back in; did you use mulm/established media/etc to auto-cycle, or are you doing something else?
Thanks laura:

all of the plants came from the original set up. i'm using the red rubin as the focal piece. It was just recently shaded so it needs to color up again. The left rear is cyperus helferi, the right rear is blyxa aubertii. foreground is tenellus micro, midground is regular tenellus. and using tiger lotus and nymphaea micracanthus as an accent on the right. I think that is all of the plants. oh... there is some needle leaf java fern on the wood.

No mulm... yuck. lol. I left the filter as is without cleaning and I will also switch the biowheel that's on the holding tank back to this tank. I have a bottle of superbac that i will use just before I add the fish back. I'll probably be ready to roll in a week or so. I'll wait until everything is settled in. Then i'll clean the filter, change the tubing, add in a hydor, remove the biowheel, and add glassware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy87 View Post
Holy Cow! Now THAT is a rescape! Great Job. It will look great once everything fills in. Some blyxa in the left center and back right would look nice in there. Following this thread 100%.
thanks fishboy!

post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Sweet!
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Chris!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode