45 Gallon Journey (From construction to planting) - DSL Warning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
45 Gallon Journey (From construction to planting) - DSL Warning

delete thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by griffin_pak; 03-12-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

sadly the sand stuff did not work out! the flourite kept on getting in and it was just too much hassle, ended up covering the sand with a layer of flourite, lazy way out lol

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

more latest pics on the way

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Are you running any CO2 on this tank? And what's the total wattage on your lighting?

I think you're going to have problems with most of the plants in there- the A. reineckii especially needs very high light plus CO2 to survive.

You'd probably have more success with your current setup if you stick with low light plants. There's a good list to choose from at the top of the Low Tech forum.

It looks great right now... I just think you need some more appropriate plants that are more likely to do well over the long haul in your tank.

I do like your DIY on that stand, very clean looking.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
I love the DIY stand you made.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
nice scaping
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
the stand looks amazing and the tank to good job--by the way my name is griffin to-is your name griffin?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Are you running any CO2 on this tank? And what's the total wattage on your lighting?

I think you're going to have problems with most of the plants in there- the A. reineckii especially needs very high light plus CO2 to survive.

You'd probably have more success with your current setup if you stick with low light plants. There's a good list to choose from at the top of the Low Tech forum.

It looks great right now... I just think you need some more appropriate plants that are more likely to do well over the long haul in your tank.

I do like your DIY on that stand, very clean looking.

Stats:
>45Gallon
> 3+ WPG 6000K
>2x DIY CO2 with BELL (no fancy diffuser, see pic)
>1x DIY CO2 into filter
>pH 6~7
>Lights on for 10 hours (with blackouts in between)
>Substrate is Flourite
>Flourish excel given as per bottle instructions, some plantgro (iron) also given
>Age 2+ Months

Yes I am having trouble with Rosefolia A. Reinenckii. However it is getting better.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Found a 45 gal tank? How lucky!

Love the DIY stand and hood you made on the cheap and I like how you finished off the corners so neatly. Very nice indeed!

Do I see an Anubias planted directly in the substrate? How long have you had it? It would be better tied to a rock or driftwood, since the roots need to be exposed.

I would also add a background. A very cheap one that I like is simple black construction paper from the dollar store.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good, my only constructive criticism is to use some of the flourite to cover up the sand you can see against the glass.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavisky View Post
Looks good, my only constructive criticism is to use some of the flourite to cover up the sand you can see against the glass.
haha damn it, i thought no one would notice, I was thinking of doing that but have been lazy, plus i dont want to stress out the neons!

Quote:
Do I see an Anubias planted directly in the substrate? How long have you had it? It would be better tied to a rock or driftwood, since the roots need to be exposed.
I have a whole bunch of anubias in my older tank, have about 6 years of anubias, ones about foot and a half long train!
its not directly planted, the rhizone part is above the substrate.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
the roots can be under the substrate (they are roots after all ) What has to be above the substrate is the rhizome (the green thing that has the roots and leaves coming out of it) Hope that helps .

-Chris

Last edited by CL; 10-02-2008 at 07:04 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

delete thread

Last edited by griffin_pak; 03-12-2010 at 12:22 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
wow, you have a beautiful tank. I just think that the big driftwood stump you have on the right is obstructing the overall nice-ty of the layout.

Personally, i would opt for something branchy....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

that big driftwood was supposed to hide the filter/inlet/etc, however its turning into an eyesore too!!! However since these pics were taken, the woods been covered to a large extent by Mosses!

oh and those white co2 bells are gone and a new co2 diffuser is here! plant growth has increased! and algae is on the downward spiral (hopefully)

thanks for the comments!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode