CL's Low Tech 55 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Arrow CL's Low Tech 55 Gallon

okay, this tank used to house huge catfish... until they got too huge... so I redid it as I had been wanting to for a long time. I got $9 worth of plain gravel at home depot and 4 daylight compact florescent screw- in bulbs, three of which are 14 watt and the other is 17 watts. Light fixture is home- made out of poplar, I am planning on upping the wattage later.
Flora:
-Water sprite
-Crypt. Wendtii Red
-Crypt. Wendtii Green
-Tiger Lotus Red
-Java Fern
-Giant Hairgass
-Broad- leaf sag.
-Dwarf lily red

Fauna:
-9 neon tetras
-5 glass cats
-5 fire rasboras
-3 rummy nose tetras
-2 angels
-2 debauwi cats
-1 bristle nose pleco
-1 sparkling gourami
-1 banjo cat (may move if finally starts to grow, I have had him for 3 years now, still small)
-1 golden white cloud
-1 emerald eye tetra
-1 cory (i forgot what kind)
5-11-08-----
Fast forward 2 months--- Most of the plants got eaten by snails , but I got rid of the snails . I received a load of free plants, and was inspired to get this thing goin again, so I bought some more plants here and there, and this is how it looks now----

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CL; 02-24-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Looks really nice so far. I love how cheap you can get substrate at Home Depot and Lowes.
Looks great so far. Your plants really compliment each other.
Do you have any drift wood in there? I can kinda see something on top of the rock in the first pic on the right, but I can't really tell.

post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu-chan View Post
Looks really nice so far. I love how cheap you can get substrate at Home Depot and Lowes.
Looks great so far. Your plants really compliment each other.
Do you have any drift wood in there? I can kinda see something on top of the rock in the first pic on the right, but I can't really tell.
I took the wood out, I needed it in another tank and needed the planting space in this one

-Chris

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

I want to grow moss in here, but read this : http://www.aquamoss.net/Articles/Sia...uatic-Moss.htm And I want to keep my sae....

-Chris

post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

I am probably going to rescape...soon. I will probably have everything in a kind of mound towards the right side of the tank, so that the fish will have a nice swimming area. The tank is on a peninsula on out countertop, so I think that it would be nice. Any thoughts?

-Chris

post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Any thoughts?

-Chris

post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

did the rescape, pics later

-Chris

post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Still a lil cloudy, I like the open space. Im going to make an xmas moss carpet over the bare part. Lemme know what you think

-Chris

post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

I need to get a BUNCH of crypts and stuff thats is low/ medium height.

-Chris

post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
As much as I love assymetrical 'scapes, IMO it really doesn't seem to make the most of the bowfront shape of your beautiful tank. I think this tank would actually do better with either a U-shaped design, or a more balanced/symmetrical scape with the "grassy plain" coming forward, out into the bow, IUKWIM?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

I know what you mean, but I wanted to have an area for the fish. My tank isnt a bow front... lol I wish it were tho haha. Im probably going to change it again, but I'll see what I can do with it

-Chris

post #12 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
WoW- so it's not! I could have sworn it was from the first post, but now I look back and see that it was your gravel slope that made me think it was a bowfront tank.

I retract what I said then; just stick with, "assymetrical scapes are my fav!!" LOL

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
now what you need is a jungle of vals on the left side
post #14 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
now what you need is a jungle of vals on the left side
If I could manage keeping them from turning to goo.
Today I added 4 more rummies. Im really liking how this fish schools. I know have ten. I got rid of the gold white cloud and the two debawi (sp?) cats because they were starting to nip at fins

-Chris

post #15 of 109 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Gotta comment on the moss issue. I have had SAE's in my tank with moss. I never saw them bother it at all. I pulled moss out of my tank all the time and sold it. I do feed them each night with wafers, shrimp pellets, zucchini or cucumbers, etc. I did finally give mine up because they were eating my R. wallichi. I do still have flying foxes. Nothing bothers my mosses.

BTW I loved the 2nd scape you did. The current one just appears too empty to me. Perhaps a foreground would help and the fish could still swim in the water above the foreground....

Just keeping on keeping on....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode