20 Gallon Long Journal: A Fork in the Road - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bolivianram123
20 Gallon Long Journal: A Fork in the Road

First journal! This is just for myself to see how the tank progresses over time, although comments/suggestions are appreciated. I'm going for something foresty on the left side, and it empties out into a carpet. kind of like @[email protected] 20L. except, i'd like to have some background plants to the carpet. I was thinking dawrf hairgrass behind some HC.

-for lighting i just purchased a 65w current light from big als, taking advantage of that free shipping. (although right now i have a 20w life-glo that's working pretty good.)
-DIY CO2, which i know pressurised is better, but i can't buy it, at least not right now.
-eco-complete substrate.

right now for plants i have a large amount of hornwort on the right, some L. repens, 2 dwarf anubias, water sprite, cabomba, some moneywort, and 4 other plants that i don't know.

right now the tank is cycling and i found some snails, but i just figured they would help the cycle. for fauna i'm thinking of:
1 female GBR,
6 P. Gertrudae,
6 p. Furcatus
2 ottos maybe
cherry shrimp (once i get a colony started).

also, if you could reccomend any fertz i would really appreciate it. I was thinking about seachem line, but i don't know what to get. (i'm not getting them right now [$], but for future refrence.)

I'm also going to Fish Gallery possibly this weekend, once i sell my 29 and get my paycheck so i can get the DH and some HC, and HOPEFULLY. some Blyxa Japonica. and maybe some red plants just to break up the green. Or should I wait?

I also wanna get one of those gift card things so i can buy things online because i'm always seeing all these good deals on s&s and im like dang my uncredit cardness, so once i do, watch out s&s.

I also have this really nice piece of driftwood that would make an awesome cave but it keeps floating! i tried boiling it for 3 hours, still floating. i've had it in water for 3 weeks now, and still no sinkage. should i boil it more?

i don't expect my tank to be as amazing as the many others i've seen, but i hope it looks okay.

thank you. If you have any suggestions, i would gladly appreciate it.

Last edited by bolivianram123; 03-15-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
driftwood is exactly what it is.. drifting wood you need to screw a piece of slate to it to get it to stay down.. remember to use a stainless steel screw so no rust issue. as for the ferts.. I would get some dry ferts from orlando or rex grigg.. or even aquarium ferts.com

if you can save up... get a pressurized co2 system going on that tank.. you will be glad you did.. also watch the swap n shop for deals on them.. they happen all the time.. just be ready to jump on it. if you are going to want to grow hc as a carpet.. you will need it. I think that you are off to a good start.. just give it time to grow in. btw.. hornwort will grow out of control in no time and choke out other plants.. a good alternative that is easy to grow is hygrophila polysperma (sunset hygro) it grows good in low light tanks... so I think you could get some of that and add it.. or replace the hornwort. just my opinion though.. always remember to do what YOU like.. it is your tank and you have to look at it and enjoy it!

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedobarb View Post
driftwood is exactly what it is.. drifting wood you need to screw a piece of slate to it to get it to stay down.. remember to use a stainless steel screw so no rust issue. as for the ferts.. I would get some dry ferts from orlando or rex grigg.. or even aquarium ferts.com

if you can save up... get a pressurized co2 system going on that tank.. you will be glad you did.. also watch the swap n shop for deals on them.. they happen all the time.. just be ready to jump on it. if you are going to want to grow hc as a carpet.. you will need it. I think that you are off to a good start.. just give it time to grow in. btw.. hornwort will grow out of control in no time and choke out other plants.. a good alternative that is easy to grow is hygrophila polysperma (sunset hygro) it grows good in low light tanks... so I think you could get some of that and add it.. or replace the hornwort. just my opinion though.. always remember to do what YOU like.. it is your tank and you have to look at it and enjoy it!

really about the driftwood? even boiling it for a long time and keeping it in water won't sink it? :l
for ferts, whats your opinion on pfertz, it looks easy to use, and effective but i dont think i've acctually seen anyone say that.
the hornwort looks so nice but yeah i know that it's going to choke all the other plants so i'm researching other "bushy" plants. although suggestions would be appreciated.

so i bought some HC and DH, also managed to score some free riccia. and i replanted the tank, kind of. i got my water tested at the LFS since i don't have a test kit (bad i know) and he said my amonia was high but it's on its way to being cycled. he suggested i put some fish like white clouds in there for a fastercycle, and even though i know cycling with fish is bad for them, i really need this tank cycled since my parental units are getting a bit aggitated with the 10 gallon. :/
heres a pic of the new(ish) layout. I should buy maybe plexiglass to seperate the DH from getting intrusive on the HC. hmmmmm

FTS

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

got my light today. :>
although its got a bluish sort of look to it. i really liked the other light, but i guess i'll get used to it. still waiting for the cycle, and the person i was going to get the p. gertrudae/furcatus is out of them so now ive got to wait unless i can find someone else. i think it looks better in person, in pictures it looks like a big clutter. but it's mainly that hornwort, which im hoping to replace soonish.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
i think that its looking pretty good! lets just wait and see until it grows
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank is fully cycled now. I know this because i scored a free API test kit from a friends who didn't need it anymore and i checked everything also added prefilters to HOB for my future rcs (once i get a berried one > how big do they have to be to acctually be able to have bebes.)

ammonia

nitrIte

and the part that puzzles me because i thought you had to have some. ill retest tomorrow.
nitrAtes

hmm :/

so i transferred my GBR to the tank, putting her in a rubbermaid container so i can allow her to drip acclimate until that water had the same readings as the tank water.
also moved all remaining plants from old 10g to this one, which is just more moneywort, 1 stem of l. repens, and the unkown plant that grows super fast.
i really like my GBR shes so pretty. i remember when i got her she was all beat up but now shes just fine and she always greets me when i go look at the tank, which is basically every hour.

fts

mystery plant 1/4

cant wait for hc and dh to carpet. also looking for p. gertudae and p. furcatus. i have found some places but i need to compare prices etc. plus i dont want to add more to the bioload just yet.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
the tank is starting to look really nice. i like how your stems are so thick.

maybe you could try putting a rock over the wood. then remove it in a few weeks. or you could glue-gun it to a peice of slate, and slide the slate under the gravel, the slate and gravel ontop should be strong enough to hold it.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sooo i got me some plants.
aslo got: flourish comprehensive, flourish excel, flourish nitrogen, flourish iron.
i wanted to get phophorus and potassium, but they didnt have it.
i also got me: 2 female p. gertrudae, and i think 1 female and 1 male p. furcatus. although i don't know the difference in those..
the furcatus seem kind of chewed up, i'm hoping now that theyre in a good home (or at least better) they can recover and get that nice yellow finnage.
i really wanted some male p. gertrudae though :/ and never knew the females were a yellowish tint.

so now i'm a wee bit worried about the bioload. i know for sure that i want this to be a p.gertrudae/furcatus tank. those were my initial plans. i was planning on 6 of each, then 1 GBR, and 1 otto. the problem is, that the 10g i had before stocked 8 white clouds, which are now in the 20. i have a 29g but that ones i would say is pushing the limit currently. and i dont want to give them to the LFS because i really like them. so now i'm :/ because i know 8wc+ 6p.g. + 6 p.f. + 1 gbr + 1 otto = overstocked.

aslo since i bought new plants, this obviously means new layout. i tried to leave the DH and HC alone because i want it to root as fast as possible.i also think i'm going to create a "barrier" using the riccia i'm growing (which is pearling!) once its nice and big. i also should start taking pics with a camera, not a phone, but my sister is a camera hog so i rarely see it. i'm planning on one final layout change once the driftwood gets waterlogged. i was thinking of putting it in between the dh and hc because it makes a sort of cave and i could picture the tall DH surrounding it, while the HC is carpeting infront of it. idk well see.
heres a shot, maybe ill find the camera tomorrow and take pictures.
any comments suggestions appreciated.

post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

finally got a hold of the camera...

new pseudomugil gertrudae females! (they didn't have males) and 1 of 2 pseudomugil furcatus.

finally a good non blurry pic of the GBR.

and a good full tank shot not taken from my phone.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time for a huuuuge update. kind of. a lot of the plants have grown, minus the hc and dhg. I went to Houston Aquarium Warehouse a while back because the owner, who is a super cool guy, had the p. gertrudae that i was looking for! theyre yellow, unlike the pictures you see on the internet, so i'm hoping that they get more color since i think theyre still juveniles. So while i was there i got 2 pots of dhg for 8 bucks which is really good down here, he gave me a HUGE bag full of free glosso from his clippings in one of his planted tanks, so now i'm experimenting with some glosso. He also gave me some blyxa japonica clippings and a hygro that i dont know whats called. the driftwood i was planning to put in here still hasn't waterlogged but i've decided not to put it in. i took out the hygrophila angustifolia because i don't think it was meant for shallow tanks, and its leaves are too long. I'm really not liking the baby tears, or at least i think thats what it is, because its everywhere. and its all tangled together. as for the last time with algae problems i had a massive case of Rhizoclonium, but i got 2 amano shrimp, and man they wiped it out in like 2 days. Now i'm battling Staghorn algae and BGA, although i think its just a CO2 problem since i havn't changed the DIY in 6 weeks...
im dosing with the seachem line as follows:

MWF- N: 1/4tsp
P: 1/16tsp
TTS- flourish comprehensive: 2ml

can anyone tell me if this is okay? all my plants are green so i guess thats good?
as far as fauna, my LFS had threadfin rainbows for 2$ each so i had to get some and got 4. a lot of my white clouds died... i only have 2 left. I also added two berried tiger shrimp, but the las time i saw them was in one of the pics below, which was a while ago. so now ive got:
1 otto, 1 GBR, 3 WCMM, 4 TR, 1 p. furcata, 4, p.gertrudae, 2 amano, 2 (?) tiger shrimp.

yeh now picture time!

last seen tiger shrimp. (sorry its a bad picture but i had to take it w/ the only camera on hand which was a phone, and my gbr doesnt bother the shrimp, they looked into each others eyes and then went on with their lives.) the shrimp is the little bluish thing in the riccia a little towards the left of the gbr, its kinda hard to see.

FTS

ANGLE

ehh thats it for now! i know the hc is growing, but not too fast. how long does it take for these things to "take off"?!?!?!?!? :<
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ehhhhr not much has changed. I got another GBR, and now I have a pair that is laying eggs, but not successfully hatching them weekly (or at least for the past 2 weeks), so the next batch i might take and try rearing them myself. The HC has spread a lot. its not 100% filled, but its around 90%. The DHG on the other hand isn't spreading so much. I basically have a jungle of rotala, and i cut down the HM because the bottoms had major algae issues. I got some L. Aromatica, and a really nice purple green sword, as well as a green crypt. I tried trimming the Riccia, which caused it to become unrooted so i've attempted to regrow it but it never seems to grow back like it did before and im running out of it, so i'm trying to regrow it in the "plant nursery tank" i
have.

I also have this amazingly bad case of hair or thread algae... in my gravel? a lot of it is attached to random riccia parts that i find. but its everywhere.

then i have a question, the red circled plant is something like narrow leaf stellata or something, and it's really nice, but every time i trim it, the bottom dies (hence it's not in the new picture), is there any way to prevent this?

I'm getting really bored of the layout, it's the same thing. I've made a picture of what I have and what I might go for but i need suggestions. I want more plant variety, but the LFS here have very few plants other than FG but theyre overpriced making it a no-go. I would go to the S&S but I don't have a credit card or anything to purchase with online. The owner of one of the LFS said he could order me whatever plants i wanted, or i could probably go ask NASH if they have anything but i have no clue what i would want seeing as there are so many plants and I only know basics, therefore i need suggestions! plus this rescape would aid me in getting rid of that disgusting hair algae.

current layout

!new, what would you suggest putting where the "?" is.

yeh ty!

oh yeah i also have this piece of driftwood, it's kind of like a cave, but i have no clue wehre i could fit it in.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
That's a nice curvy chunk of driftwood! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
for the ?, are you looking for a low-grow like in the previous layout?
maybe try a moss capret?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
That's a nice curvy chunk of driftwood! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
I can't wait to see what i do with it either, I'm not sure what i'll do though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
for the ?, are you looking for a low-grow like in the previous layout?
maybe try a moss capret?
I was aiming for something a bit taller, maybe ill do blyxa japonica.

Today I will be getting:
Milwaukee regulator with extra solenoid
10 lb tank with 2/3 full of co2.
Aquascaping tweezers
Year plus supply of g. watson ferts
Full bottle seachem iron

so now i hope i can keep the algae in check and finally do the delayed rescape. i also need help with these new dry ferts. How do i used them? And how much?

50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

just that right?

thank you for your help as always :>
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update:
wow it seems like i'm talking to myself. I want to get a new light fixture or new bulbs because my light is missing some inches at the end so one end isnt getting much light. for the "?" in my previous posts i decided to put Corkscrew Vals and the foreground infront of that Blyxa Japonica. I also got some plant that looks like L. Aromatica, only the leaves are much bigger. Also got Rotala Nanjenshan to replace the Rotala Wallichii wich wasn't doing so great. The hairgrass has grown alot more in it's new position but still not extreme. the hc that you'll see in the picture was taken out because it had so much of that algae in my above post, so i took it apart and got little pieces of the good stuff to restart my carpet.

wow. i just looked up that algae thing on www.theplantedtank.co.uk and i think it was clado that was in the hc. hmmm awesome because its still there somewhere. Should I up CO2? i have it at 2-3 bps. i do manually remove it when i see it but it always comes back.

this pic was from a while ago, maybe if i charge the camera i can take a more recent one tomorrow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode