30 gal long recovering nicely - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
30 gal long recovering nicely

Here is my 30 gal long nicely recovering from a bad case of cyanobacteria. I have NO aquascaping skills and for now I am only glad that the plants are alive However I would highly appreciate suggestions. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5173.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	8926  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5175.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	8928  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
the tank looks nice. i would just put in a carpet if i were you.

what did you do to kill the BGA, if you dont mind sharing?

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks! What I did first was a good manual cleaning, then upgraded the lighting to ~3wpg. That helped some; however after a couple of weeks the BGA came back even with regular water changes. So after doing a little research I tried the "excess nutrients/CO2" method (dosed the tank with 2.5 ml comprehensive SeaChem suppl and increased the CO2 (diy) production by adding 1/4 tsp more yeast. I also added a couple of new plants and did a massive water change (~70%).
That was four weeks ago and the BGA has not returned (YAY!!!) I am now adding 2.5 ml of ferts twice a week and trying to slowly reduce the amount I am using to avoid the green algae bloom (I much prefer the pea soup however to the dreaded blue-green slime). I am also doing weekly 50% water changes.
I know the plants kind of look like I just threw them in (which is not too far off) but I plan to let the tank stabilize for a few months before doing any drastic replanting.
The very incipient glosso carpet is still alive, however the plants are not spreading as I'd like. Maybe I need to research this a bit more...

Last edited by elena; 07-22-2008 at 12:45 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
best way to get rid of cyanobacter aka slime algae aka blue-green algae is low does antibiotics, namely erythromycin (see doctor or your friendly neighbourhood pharmacist)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode