50 gallon Oceanic 'Fern Scape' - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Lee
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
50 gallon Oceanic 'Fern Scape'

This aquarium was started April 2008, and these pictures were taken July 2008.
I will keep this thread updated when something significant changes. Enjoy.

Setup: 50 gallon Oceanic aquarium, cherry finish
Lighting: 96W 6700K + 39W 6500K retrofit with reflectors
Supplementation: 20lb tank with Milwaukee regulator and controller, rhinox diffuser 20 ppm + Greg Watson fertilizer
Filtration: Eheim 2213
Flora: java fern & java fern narrow, bolbitis, crypto
Fauna: rasbora, cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, zebra loach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Very nice setup. I imagine the maintenance is pretty easy going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Great looking tank!

~Tori

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Lee
Planted Member

I have not trimmed the ferns yet. I only spend 2 hours on it every 2 weeks, now that it's setup how I like it.
Thanks.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Lee
Planted Member

update 10-15-08

This is an update on my tank. The java fern is really filling in thanks to the co2.
I added some cardinals the other day. Iím brainstorming ideas on where to take the tank next, any ideas?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Iím brainstorming ideas on where to take the tank next, any ideas?
If that is one piece of wood, saw it in half (at the tip of the "v"). Angle the two halves from the front corners to the back-middle of the aquarium - placing the recently sawed ends against the back. Plant a midground in the back rear "v", and a foreground ahead of that. To avoid making the aquascape look too symetrical, plant your midgorund more heavily to one side (the side with the larger piece of wood). You can also place a tall growing plant, such as eleocharis vivipara, in the rear corner/middle of the dominantly planted side.

How's that for a suggestion? A bit over the top, maybe, but that is because I have experience with giant, dominating java ferns . April 15, 2005

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Lee
Planted Member

It's a very good suggestion. I need to do something radical. Instead of using the same wood I should get some new wood because now it's completely covered looks aren't that important. And I would like to find one that doesn't leach as much. The main thing I want to change is the java fern in the foreground, it doesn't allow for any depth. I agree I need a tall background plant.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:26 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
What about using a piece that touches the water's surface, and using a moss on the top so that the moss climbs very slightly out of the water and sort of clouds out around where it is anchored on the wood?

Does that make sense?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's some gorgeous fernage!

My only suggestion would be to find a way to add angles to your tank, like unirdna suggested. Propping the wood against the back of the tank or on some rocks would be a good start. As it is, the aquascape is too horizontally dominated.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Lee
Planted Member

wschalle, I've had my fair share of moss tanks and I'm reluctant to do moss.

Phil Edwards, Yes it is, and I've recently rescaped my tank and just sold it to the wonderful people on this forum.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Lee
Planted Member

update, my goal is to make it look like this last picture.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking great, plants looking nice and healthy. As for a background plant maybe some vals?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Planted Member

If you want to keep with the thinner foliage, I'd put some Hygro. 'angustifolia' in the background. Vals are nice, but with CO2 they will be hard to control IME.

Great looking tank, by the way. Have you thought about foreground plants yet?

-Dave
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Lee
Planted Member

Hygrophila angustifolia is new to me, it's a beautiful plant. It does look a lot like narrow leaf java fern. My vals are just starting to take off. Im innately not a big foreground or background guy but I do need both to accomplish my goal. It takes a lot longer to grow my middle ground so Im going to focus on that for now. for foreground I want something low with variety.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Lee
Planted Member

I added a black background today, the stick on type. I don't recommend it because I got all kinds of air bubbles in it and I tried very hard to avoid that. You can't really see it in the picture but from the side or any other angle they stand out. I'm going to get the regular black background next. I'm also planning on getting some new wood hopefully from central Texas. All the wood around here is very dark and leaches like crazy. The new wood will give more height in the hard-scape. Plus some hair grass in the left foreground to soften things up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode