Chris-Indy's 10 Gal tank (second go round) 56K warning... Updated 8/2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Chris-Indy Send a message via Yahoo to Chris-Indy
Chris-Indy's 10 Gal tank (second go round) 56K warning... Updated 8/2

Substrate- Eco-complete

Water parameters: unknown at this time
Temp- 78-80ish

Plants:
Java Moss
Java Fern
Amazon Sword?
Foxtail something or another..

Fish:
2 German Rams (females)
3 Golddust Mollies
1 Botia kubotai
3-4 Ghost Shrimp

Equipment:
Nutrafin CO2 canister
Coralife 24" 28watt 50/50 bulb
Penguin hanging filter
50watt? heater

My first tank was doing ok, although I noticed a 1" section in a corner where it looks like something hit it. Luckily the silicone held everything together. This tank I'm looking to get a bit more involved with different plants.

I forgot to rinse the substrate when I first put the tank together. Right now the filter is doing a great job at removing the particles. When I went to go get my camera to take pictures, I didn't have any batteries. Hopefully tomorrow I'll remember to stop by and pick some up.

My plans for this tank is to have the Carolina Fanwort conceal the CO2 diffuser and the java moss to engulf a new piece of DF I bought from a lfs. I boiled the heck out of it for at least a good 45+ minutes before putting it in. As far as a foreground plant, I'm not really sure what I want to use. I'm afraid that the dwarf baby tears are going to require too much light. I've tried my hand at the dwarf hair grass and I didn't like the way it looked in the tank. I've wanted to go with Crystal wort but I can't seem to find any here around town.

I used my filter before with the previous tank, but will this filter be ok to use since I'm adding in more plants? Pictures will come asap. Like always, I'm open for suggestions.

thanks,

Chris-Indy

Last edited by Chris-Indy; 08-02-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Will you be posting a picture of it too? So far it is pretty exciting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I'm thinking about running to get some batteries. I'd like to take pictures of it now compared to what it will be later on.

Edit to my first post:

Switched filters to AquaClear 30 switching for a time being... trying to see what one i like best. I like the waterflow of the Penguin filter better since the return water supply is deeper into the tank. But on a previous tank the AquaClear water was a bit clearer.

I've also lost at least 2 Ghost Shrimp. I think the daytime temp was too much for them. Since then I have adjusted the heater and they seem to be doing just fine.

The Botia seems to be a LOT more active since I've added in the GBR. I once had him paired with a SAE and they both were very shy. Now that he's alone seems to be taking care of any snail problem I once had. As I'm typing this the Mollies are darting around the tank in and out of the Foxtail. I wonder how much longer til I have frys swimming around. Pictures to follow, I promise!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi

Hi,
Your tank sounds great. Cant wait for some pics.
Just one thing your tank is only 10g and you have one Botia kubotai.
From what I have read they like a good size group of the same spices, I would say more than 3 and a much larger tank.
Anyway you tank sounds good. Have a good one,
macquatic

I was once open minded, but my brain kept falling out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, excuse the mess in the pictures. The tank hasn't been 'scaped just yet. The plants are just kinda in there in no particular place. Pictures aren't that great to begin with.. I haven't taken many pictures of fish tanks. So I'm sure the more I take them the better the pictures will be.

Here's the tank with the lights on and one with them off.

Here are my two female GBR's Porsche and Mercedes.

Three out of the 4 Mollies.

The right side of the tank featuring the Driftwood. I know I have a snail problem, but I promise that the white things in this picture are not snails. They are air pockets from the black cling on background.

Also, can anyone ID the plant in between the GBR and the Molly?

Any suggestions would be great. I think I may line the back wall with the Foxtail, then have the java fern to the left side of the tank and the java moss attached to the Driftwood. I'm still looking for a foreground plant.

Thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:

Friday I should have my ricca from iceterran. Any suggestions where I should place my plants? I'd like to spend some time this weekend arranging plants and doing a PWC.

Chris-Indy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 PM

Looking good so far. Maybe tie the java ferns and java moss to the driftwood. And if that is an amazon sword then put it in the back as they get huge.
How do you like that coralife fixture? I'm planning on starting up a ten gallon and was looking at getting it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like it. But then again this is my first light fixture outside of the lame ones that come with starter tanks.

You can tie java ferns to driftwood? I thought they had to have substrate to root into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose_man View Post
Looking good so far. Maybe tie the java ferns and java moss to the driftwood. And if that is an amazon sword then put it in the back as they get huge.
How do you like that coralife fixture? I'm planning on starting up a ten gallon and was looking at getting it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 PM

Java ferns grow on a rhizome. The rhizome cannot be buried or else it will rot and the plant will die. It is possible to plant them into the substrate if the rhizome is not buried but that looks kinda weird.
Considered how java ferns propogate. Little baby java ferns grow on the leaves of the mother plant and when mature enough, get blown off by the current. They then float through the water until they hit something and their roots get entangled in it. (i.e. driftwood, rocks, tin can, etc.) Then grow there. Getting all of their nutrients from the water.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I look to add more driftwood to the tank? I'm not sure how the peice I have in there now would look with the java fern on it. I do have some smaller peices that may work. I'll have to see what I have when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose_man View Post
Java ferns grow on a rhizome. The rhizome cannot be buried or else it will rot and the plant will die. It is possible to plant them into the substrate if the rhizome is not buried but that looks kinda weird.
Considered how java ferns propogate. Little baby java ferns grow on the leaves of the mother plant and when mature enough, get blown off by the current. They then float through the water until they hit something and their roots get entangled in it. (i.e. driftwood, rocks, tin can, etc.) Then grow there. Getting all of their nutrients from the water.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 8/2

I've upgraded my filter from Aquaclear 30 to a Fluval 205. I got the results I wanted... crystal clear water.

I took out the Java Ferns and the Foxtail. I might have killed the foxtail by leaving it in the bag too long. It just didn't do well in my tank. I did get a killer deal on I think Hygrophyla difformis. 10 bucks for 3 bundles.

I apologize for the blurry pictures.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time for an update.

Substrate- Eco-complete

Water parameters: unknown at this time
Temp- 76-78ish

Plants:
Java Moss
littorella uniflora (shoreweed)
Egeria densa
Hygrophila difformis
Corkscrew Val?

Fish:
5 Golddust Mollies
3 Clown loach
6-8 Ghost Shrimp
4 otos

Equipment:
Nutrafin CO2 canister
Coralife 24" 28watt 50/50 bulb
Fluval 205
50watt? heater
Drop Checker

Front view shot

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode