10g Asian Theme (New Pics Sept 6) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
10g Asian Theme (New Pics Sept 6)

Ok, here goes my first attempt at a planted tank!! I'm really "winging it" here...I have no idea what I'm doing! I have read lots on here, but still...

Everything in the tank is "from Asia". The one unconfirmed plant was sold to me as Cyperus helferi, but it seems as though it is either Sagittaria subulata or Vallisneria americana both of which are from the Americas. If that's the case, my Asian theme goes to the wind! Gonna have to pull it, and find some more Asian plants.

10g tank (standard)
AquaClear 20
Visi-therm heater (75 degrees)
Fluorite substrate
15w T8 Phillips "warm white" (couldn't find a higher Kelvin in the right size bulb)
Tap water treated for chlorine

8 Harlequin Rasbora (I tried to get Trigonostigma espei, but couldn't find any locally)
1 yellow Betta (not introduced yet...waiting for the Rasboras to grow!)

Hygrophila difformis
Java Fern
Sagittaria subulata or Vallisneria americana (unconfirmed)

I need to add either a few rocks or some driftwood...I think I will go with rocks. I obviously need more plants, but there isn't much selection here. The LFS's haven't seen ANY mosses for several years. Interesting... I would REALLY like to add some Java moss to fill in space!

What testing should I be doing on the tank at this time? Should I be adding ferts? I'm going to add a Hagen CO2 unit to the tank as soon as I find one. Might have to mail order...

I am right in assuming my Betta would likely eat or harass the 1/2" (not including tail fin) baby Rasboras, right?

Comments and suggestions welcome!

The blurs in the photo are the Rasboras.

~ 75g rimless cube (empty...discus?)
~ 55g w/ 11" Oscar & 10" Sailfin Pleco
~ 40g w/ 15g sump Bangaii breeding grounds (SW)
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asian theme planted

Last edited by Myka; 09-06-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:52 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I have always liked the idea of using bamboo poles. this should look beautiful when grown out. Your poles look like they have good placement to me Oh, and does your java fern branch in three? I got some like it yesterday, and seems a bit of a mystery. Is it java fern sp. tropica? or is it java fern trident?

-Chris

post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! I'm hoping it will look better when it grows out. Most tanks seem to look a little sad for the first month...so that gives me hope!

Uhm...I don't think my Java Fern branches into three...? I'm not sure which variety it is.

A better pic of the Java Fern is here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...tml#post639447

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
I'm skeptical whether 15 watts of light over your 10 gallon is going to be enough to grow much. I probably wouldnt dose ferts initially, especially if you're going to have a high bioload once you get fish, since you're going to have slow growth with that lighting. If you do dose, I'd do it lightly with NPK and micros.

Make sure you didnt bury that java fern rhizome in the substrate. The rhizome should be above, with the roots below... I couldnt tell from that picture. Also, my guess is that that's dwarf sag, not vallisneria. I saw the close up pics in another post of yours.

Overall, I like it. It's really interesting and unique. Nice and creative. It'd be nice to get a couple of interesting cryptocorne species, especially with some bronze leaves.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Try getting some Cryptocorynes, they're from Asia and tolerate low light

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
I'm skeptical whether 15 watts of light over your 10 gallon is going to be enough to grow much. I probably wouldnt dose ferts initially, especially if you're going to have a high bioload once you get fish, since you're going to have slow growth with that lighting. If you do dose, I'd do it lightly with NPK and micros.

Make sure you didnt bury that java fern rhizome in the substrate. The rhizome should be above, with the roots below... I couldnt tell from that picture. Also, my guess is that that's dwarf sag, not vallisneria. I saw the close up pics in another post of yours.

Overall, I like it. It's really interesting and unique. Nice and creative. It'd be nice to get a couple of interesting cryptocorne species, especially with some bronze leaves.
Ya, I'm not sure about the light either. I'm prepared to replace it if needed. I'm looking at the Nova Extreme 2x20w T5 strip. I tried Home Depot and the other hardware stores and couldn't find any suitable desk lamps or otherwise. Heck, I could hardly find a 20" T8 bulb of kinda suitable Kelvin!

There already are fish in the tank - 8 Harlequin Rasboras. A Betta soon to come...I don't think that is a high bio-load? Full, but not high?

Oh, thanks for the tip on the Java Fern...I have the rhizome buried! I'll go dig it out right now.

The problem with plants is that I can't find any!!! Of the 5 LFSs in the area, there is only about 20 different species of plants to choose from, and only one of the stores has semi-healthy looking plants. I didn't see any Cryptos or mosses when I was out and about today.

Thanks for your comments!

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like it, i like it. So when are you getting more plants? jk. Thats the problem with stores these days, some just don't take care of anything.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
the leaf on the far left looks like in branches...

-Chris

post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpant View Post
I like it, i like it. So when are you getting more plants? jk. Thats the problem with stores these days, some just don't take care of anything.
Hey!! I bet you're the same SeaSerpant as on CanReef aren't ya?!

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm.. warm white bulb won't give much light for plants, you should change to a Philips Daylight 23W = 100W energy saving spiral bulb.

15G Planted Aquarium of Red Cherry Shrimps, Crystal Red, Black Shrimps & cute dwarf puffer. :p
50G Planted Aquarium of 6 Goldfishes, 2 Weather Loaches, 4 Silver Cories & 1 Pleco.
20G Planted Aquarium - Emerald Green , Tiger & Blue Pearl shrimp tank.
10G Office/Lab Planted Aquarium with Neons and Galaxy Rasboras
5G Hexagon Aquarium of baby Goldfishes.
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalnet View Post
Hmmm.. warm white bulb won't give much light for plants, you should change to a Philips Daylight 23W = 100W energy saving spiral bulb.
Ya, that would be great, and I tried to, but I couldn't find any suitable fixtures in Home Depot.

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
has anybody suggested a moss carpet yet? it would do great in your tank and they look really nice. just attach it to flate rocks (slate works well) and lay them over the substrate.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ya! I want to, I just can't find ANY mosses in town! I plan on doing a moss carpet when I can find some!

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
you could get plenty off of the swap and shop. or aquabid (most of the big exporters ship from asia anyway, so it doesnt matter if you are in canada. and im sure moss ships fine since i have done a 5 day blackout, and my moss didnt care at all.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

It sure looks very nice. There is this video clip about using bamboo in a betta tank.

My Betta Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode