Post some pics of your 60+ gallon cubes! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post some pics of your 60+ gallon cubes!

I have a 75g 28x28x18" rimless tank I'm going to set up as a medium-tech planted tank. I originally bought it to setup a(nother) reef. I decided to save some money and go for a planted tank instead. I have been searching, and haven't come across many cubes this big on the forums. The only ones I have found are just in the setup stages or very young. So...whatcha got for pics?

If anyone wants to chime in on lighting suggestions for me too, that would be great!

~ 75g rimless cube (empty...discus?)
~ 55g w/ 11" Oscar & 10" Sailfin Pleco
~ 40g w/ 15g sump Bangaii breeding grounds (SW)
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Asian theme planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
150w Metal Halid would be good.

Or a 24" 6-8x T5HO Flourescent fixture.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:44 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
A 250w MH would work well too

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
A 250w MH would work well too
That seems like a bit much for a planted tank, especially if it's only 18" deep.

I'd say go for a 150w metal-halide fixture or pendant.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
wait about two weeks and ill have my 60 cube set up. it will be my best setup yet hehe
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the comments! I'm pretty sure I will go for MH, as there would be big dark spots on the ends if I used 24" T5s. Otherwise I would go for T5s for sure. I wasn't sure whether I should go for a 150w or 250w MH. I need to research plant lighting more. I understand MH lighting very well when used for a reef aquarium. If I was setting up a reef I would use a 250w European SE bulb on an HQI ballast to get the most PAR per watt. Then I would put it into a Lumenarc reflector to get the most even light coverage. I'm not sure if that would over-cook plants? Haha! I would much rather use an electronic ballast because they run SO much cooler, and are MUCH cheaper, but waste a lot of energy when you compare PAR per watt. It's also a lot easier to find used electronic ballasts than HQI, so that would help too. So, I'm really not sure what I want to do. The PAR on a 150w SE run on an HQI ballast would compare to a 250w SE run on an electronic ballast (using same bulb/reflector)...so really, what kind of PAR should I be aiming for?

How about some pics though?

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'm pretty sure I will go for MH, as there would be big dark spots on the ends if I used 24" T5s.
not necessarily T5'sw distribute light significantly more even Than an metal halide ever could. HQI's do produce more macro moles per second and spread light a bit better than normal MH's however they do not spread light like T5's do. You will notice a lot more shadows with a metal halide fixture than you would with a compact fluorescent fixture with equivalent wattage.

also if you are to go with metal halide I would do a 250w HQI fixture thats just under 4 wpg. Don't mess with normal halides you'll like the HQI in the long run. non-HQI bulbs are expensive, bulky, way less energy efficient and most of all they burn really hot so they will cook your tank.

IMO the ideal setup would be a T5 + 150 watt HQI combo fixture this way you can have the light spread that T5's provide combined with the intensity and shimmer that only metal halides can produce. The best of both worlds if you will.

just make sure your photo-period is relatively short (around 5 hours give or take) and you will have little to no problems with that much light
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
I think I'm going to use T5's instead of a MH when I setup my 30x30" cube. I found a 24x24" fixture holding 8x24w T5HO bulbs. That's some pretty mean and even light output!

I look forward to seeing your cube come to life, keep us posted. Who made the tank?

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 06:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
This forsaken thread
has not a single
picture to observe
- Haiku by Medred

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post

I look forward to seeing your cube come to life, keep us posted. Who made the tank?
a local tank builder out here in Mass he hates me because I'm so picky
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
This forsaken thread
has not a single
picture to observe
- Haiku by Medred
2 syllables short in the second stanza... 5-7-5

If I may?

This forsaken thread
has not a single lonely
picture to observe

- Haiku by Medred

No Pimp Club.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
but then the end would have to say Haiku by Roybot73

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
but then the end would have to say Haiku by Roybot73
Nah... It's still MedRed's

It is a bummer that no one has pics to post --I'd like to see some as well!

No Pimp Club.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
This forsaken thread
has not a single
picture to observe
- Haiku by Medred
Well, mine isn't much to show yet!

~
sumpless LPS reef (SW)

~
Asian theme planted
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:37 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think he's a bit big for that tank, may want to look into a 120 or larger.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode