my new 60 cube (first tank out in mass) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
my new 60 cube (first tank out in mass)

hello its been almost 2 months since i moved out to Massachusetts and ive been aquarium-less ever since.

tonight i took the initiative and ordered a 60 gallon cube sapphire glass aquarium from glasscages.com
the dimensions of the tank i ordered are 24"x24"x25" so almost a perfect cube some of my favorite tanks are cube gardens so i decided to go that route.

my belief is that depth plays a very crucial role in the presentation if a successful aquascape, I have set up many tanks in my day and have made many mistakes, however i learn from every mistake i have made.

i plan on making this new scape my best yet, by buying the right equipment the first time and doing things correctly right from the get go. Tom barr has showed me that the better flow your tank has the healthier your plants will be via adequate nutrient distribution though the entire tank even in the areas of high plant density which is whyI have already ordered a 5 ply jebo cannister filter which has a flow of 396 gallons per hour giving the 60 cube 6.6 complete turnovers per hour.

I have also ordered a 24" 380W Metal Halide HQI and dual power compact VHO light fixture which will give my tank 6.3 watts per gallon.

my substrate choice will be ADA amazonian 1 powder form I plan to do an iwagami style rock formation using rocks collected from a local river with a very heavily sloped substrate so the back of the tank will be much higher than the front giving the tank a sense of depth.

total damage- about $650 dollars

my hard scape is going to be the biggest challenge as i want to make it very balanced yet subsequently very dynamic. I still have a lot of thinking and planning to do but i will post pics of my tank when it arrives in about a week or so. until then all I will be doing is collecting rocks and planning the best possible rock hard scape I can. any suggestions on how to improve my setup will be greatly appreciated Regards, Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
good luck! sounds like a good setup.

just a tip: dont forget to incorporate negative space in the scape. you can make it balanced using the negative space. many people think balance is having an "island layout" or using a river of sand right down the middle.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
Sounds sweet, but careful with all that light. I would even add more flow, not take any chances with that nuclear reactor you've got sitting over your tank. It's almost more light/sq. inch than my reef tank!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Nice start! I'm in the early stages of planning a 24" cube myself - I live only 2 hours drive from Glass Cages factory! Did you get the Sapphire front panel only or three sides? How big of a difference do you see with the Sapphire? Is the 'transition' to normal glass on the back noticeable? What do you think of GC's silicone work and general workmanship?

I would have gone with more flow and less light (in fact, I will be).

Is that 396gph with or without media? (This can be a big difference).

That's a honkin' big light! I've got a 150w pendant that I'll use and think I'll be fine. Good luck!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Welcome to MA!

I just started an iwugami myself.The HC is growing emersed as we speak. I'll need to post pics soon.

I'm curious as to where you are getting the rocks? I've been wanting to collect rocks here in Boston locally but really dont know where to go. I've also been tempted to go looking for driftwood on the coast somewhere.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Lol - you got me saying "Sapphire" Glass too...it's Starphire.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Nice start! I'm in the early stages of planning a 24" cube myself - I live only 2 hours drive from Glass Cages factory! Did you get the Sapphire front panel only or three sides? How big of a difference do you see with the Sapphire? Is the 'transition' to normal glass on the back noticeable? What do you think of GC's silicone work and general workmanship?

I would have gone with more flow and less light (in fact, I will be).

Is that 396gph with or without media? (This can be a big difference).

That's a honkin' big light! I've got a 150w pendant that I'll use and think I'll be fine. Good luck!
thanks for the comments everyone I have done some serious thinking and I found a local tank builder to make me a 24" cube instead of glasscages this guys a real pro he showed me some of his tanks and the trim and edge work and it is flawless. he has a way of bonding the tanks glass panels to make them look like there is no silicone at all.

I also decided to go extra fancy and use starphire glass panels on all 3 sides except for the back panel

I will be paying significantly more for a 24" cube from this guy than from glasscages ($800 rather than $300 from GC) but i think the end product will be well worth it. I also have decided to ditch the cannister filter and install an ocean clear module filter hooked up to a 1/8 horsepower pump giving my tank about 13 turnovers per hour, significantly more than my original plan.

I asked the guy i found to drill a hole in the bottom of the tank which serve and the ocean clears intake however the output will still be going over the edge via glass lilly pipe (im still concerned however if that fragile glass pipe can handle that much flow)

as far as the light is concerned i don't even plan to use the CFLs that come with the light all i really want to use is the 250w HQI but i couldn't find one that cheap that is HQI alone. so now after.

after my revisions it looks like my initial cost of setup (tank, light, stand, co2, filter, pump, plumbing etc) is now about $1300

funny how my vision of the "perfect" setup is also the perfect money trap
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa73 View Post
Welcome to MA!

I just started an iwugami myself.The HC is growing emersed as we speak. I'll need to post pics soon.

I'm curious as to where you are getting the rocks? I've been wanting to collect rocks here in Boston locally but really dont know where to go. I've also been tempted to go looking for driftwood on the coast somewhere.

I found some really nice iwagami style rocks when i was mountain biking an in area called the Fens the rock grouping i came across were really jagged and nice plus they were only one ebony black color, ideal for my type of setup
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlvr123 View Post
thanks for the comments everyone I have done some serious thinking and I found a local tank builder to make me a 24" cube instead of glasscages this guys a real pro he showed me some of his tanks and the trim and edge work and it is flawless. he has a way of bonding the tanks glass panels to make them look like there is no silicone at all.

I also decided to go extra fancy and use starphire glass panels on all 3 sides except for the back panel

I will be paying significantly more for a 24" cube from this guy than from glasscages ($800 rather than $300 from GC) but i think the end product will be well worth it. I also have decided to ditch the cannister filter and install an ocean clear module filter hooked up to a 1/8 horsepower pump giving my tank about 13 turnovers per hour, significantly more than my original plan.

I asked the guy i found to drill a hole in the bottom of the tank which serve and the ocean clears intake however the output will still be going over the edge via glass lilly pipe (im still concerned however if that fragile glass pipe can handle that much flow)

as far as the light is concerned i don't even plan to use the CFLs that come with the light all i really want to use is the 250w HQI but i couldn't find one that cheap that is HQI alone. so now after.

after my revisions it looks like my initial cost of setup (tank, light, stand, co2, filter, pump, plumbing etc) is now about $1300

funny how my vision of the "perfect" setup is also the perfect money trap
I know it's listed as "out of stock", but have you seen these?:
http://www.fishneedit.com/250w-metal...ndant-lig.html

And I'm not sure if you're on the anti-ADA coalition (), but this is a pretty nice cube for less than a custom:

http://www.adgshop.com/ProductDetail...Show=TechSpecs

Can't wait to see this up and running! You've got me thinking cubic now...

No Pimp Club.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post

And I'm not sure if you're on the anti-ADA coalition (), but this is a pretty nice cube for less than a custom:

http://www.adgshop.com/ProductDetail...Show=TechSpecs.
very tempting however after shipping this tanks about $50 more expensive plus i would be afraid to drill a hole in it for the intake, I have considered those pedant lights you were talking about i saw tom barr use those over his cube tanks with great success, maybe i will go with that light i know a place where you can get it cheaper than that too but i have to think about it before i make a decision thanks for the comments
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

can anyone refer me to a well built ADA style aquarium stand I have seen em done before but I cant seem to find a link
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

all ur old tanks looked great,and my dream tank is a 60 gal cube, with a dead center over flow box so i can scape all 4 sides... looking forward to seeing this in action
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:28 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
well the tank is already plumbed, assembled and running I'm just waiting for plants. but heres some teaser shots of everything before it Was set up:
The tank

the stand I built myself:

the light

the other crap:
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlvr123 View Post
I found some really nice iwagami style rocks when i was mountain biking an in area called the Fens the rock grouping i came across were really jagged and nice plus they were only one ebony black color, ideal for my type of setup
Nice! I found some nice pieces of branch around the Fens also. I live in the area.

Should be a nice setup, I'm jealous you can fit such a big tank at your place! i can barely fit a 10g in my city apt.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks and sounds good, I will surely check out the updates on this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode