Just another 10 gal...UPDATED! 11/9/08 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Just another 10 gal...UPDATED! 11/9/08

Well I was bored so I thought I'd just show everyone what I've been growing

The tank is a standard 10 gallon tank and has been set up for about 7 weeks. I just did a substrate change last weekend because onyx sand was really annoying me. It made my water too hard...

Substrate- Florabase

Water parameters:
pH- 5.8
KH- 2
GH- 4
Temp- depends on the day...usually 82

Plants:
Blyxa alternifolius
Blyxa aubertii
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocoryne affinis
Limnophila sp. 'mini'
Limnophila aromatica... maybe?
Peacock moss
Pistia stratiotes
Rotala indica
Rotala sp. 'mini'
Rotala sp. 'nanjenshan'
Rotala wallichii
Utricularia graminifolia

Hopefully I can find some type of Eriocaulon in the future to go with my soft water.

I wish that plant would grow faster...darn blyxa

Mr amano shrimp eating algae :-)

Future inhabitants:
Green eye rasboras - hopefully on thursday
Yellow shrimp - Next monday

Sorry for the blurry pictures. I'm cheap and so is my camera.
Any comments and criticism is appreciated!

---Huy

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.

Last edited by Cardinal Tetra; 11-10-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks nice I like how you have the back covered up
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice tank!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for the compliments!
Yes I managed to cover up the whole back but neglected to attempt to hide my ugly equipment lol

Here are some bad pictures of my new inhabitants, green eye rasboras! I got 8 of them but they are really shy since they've only been in the tank for about an hour and only a few are showing themselves and they move fast too.

I'll try to get better pictures next week if they start to come out. And hopefully my shrimp will arrive.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
This is not "just another" ten gallon, this is really nice

What light are you using?

EDIT: Just saw you sig, opps

~Tori

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
^That's what I was thinking. Certainly much more impressive than most 10 gallon tanks I've seen. Very nice.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
wow - amazing!!! that is a whole lotta green!!!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
On a side note, what do you think about your florabase?

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Very Impressive. Im curious to as how you like the florabase.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh so many nice things people are saying but doesn't anyone have any criticism or suggestions?

I like the florabase very much for those who are wondering. It by far grows plants better than both eco-complete and onyx sand (I found this substrate quite troublesome). I haven't fertilized this tank since switching over to it and all of my plants are flourishing like never before. It also makes the water more acidic and soft. It does make the water slightly cloudy if you stir it around like when ripping plants up and replanting and you can crush it between your fingers but as long as you're not digging up the substrate everyday then that isn't an issue. At first I thought that my chain loaches were going to hurt their barbels when digging around it it but they are fine. So all in all I am quite satisfied. Not sure how it compares to flourite and aquasoil because I have yet to try those.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I got tired of my tank and decided to change things around a little. I removed practically all of the Limnophila sp. 'Mini', Rotala wallichii, Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan', and only left a single Blyxa aubertii plant because they were growing to fast and shading out everything else! I also removed the big ol piece of wood in the middle to make more real estate available for more plants.

Here is the tank one hour after I ripped it to pieces. Ignore the random little Toninas up front. I will be moving them closer to the back once they get big enough not to get shaded and die...

Some new plants added!

Rasboras at play. Pretty bad picture I know...but these guys are always moving around. I think that I'd have to kill them to get a nicer picture of them...

Blue ramshorns crawling around. A few randomly appeared in a tank full of normal brown ones 2 years ago and now I have a bunch (:

Crappy yellow shrimp picture. These guys are still rather small. I got 20 of them. At first I thought my loaches might get some but they've been very well behaved and my rasboras aren't hostile to them either.

SAE looking for algae next to Eriocaulon? Noooo.... this guy learn how to eat flakes from the surface and chases by rasboras away.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
SAE will eventually grow too big for 10 gallon, max. size 6".

I love Dwarf Chain Loaches I have 1 myself

Are you trying to breed the Yellow Shrimp? The Rasboras and possibly the SAE will eat some of the baby shrimp

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Don't worry the SAE will be outta there long before he gets that big. I only put him in to combat an initial outbreak of hair algae. As soon as catch him...

Yeah I hope the yellows breed for me. I don't care too much about how prolific they are I just want them build up to a reasonable number to keep the tank clean for me. I'm not too worried about predation other than the loaches but they have been pretty well behaved. This particular species rasbora shouldn't be an issue either. They are one of the safest fish I've ever kept with shrimp! They don't even pay attention to the smallest ones that foolishly swim around in open water.
A year ago I had a 20 gallon tank with hundreds of cherries that I used to experiment on...I'd put in different types of fish to see which were shrimp safe...at times it was a massacre (apistos, badis, sparkling gourami, CPDs...) but these rasboras passed the test. I might try to find some Boraras urophthalmoides since those were pretty safe with cherries.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
are those microrasboras? or hets?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The one from my first post are Trigonostigma espei which are similar to hets. I got rid of those.
The silvery ones with the black spot on their dorsal fins are Rasbora dorsiocellata aka green eye rasboras. They are less than an inch right now but in the past mine have grown up to 1.5 inches.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode