My tanks: 46, 20, 15 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My tanks: 46, 20, 15

Howdy,

I've been messing around with planted tanks for a little over a year now. I finally went with compressed co2 in my 46 gallon 4 months ago while the 20 and 15 are still DIY.

As you can see I like the red plants and a wild look.

46 bowfront
96 watts (6700K) + 18 watts (5500K) in the front via two CF bulbs
Regulated co2 at aprox 15ppm

20 long
72 watts via two coralife t5 NO fixtures (3 6700K plus 1 colormax)
DIY co2

56 watts via two coralife t5 NO fixtures (3 6700K plus 1 colormax)
DIY co2

Every tank has some level of green fuzz algae on the substrate that I occasionally knock back with Excel. The only ferts I add is a single dose of Seachem Potassium after my weekly water change. I occasionally add a little Iron to the 46.

M a r k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your tanks look vibrant and healthy. What is the green plant in the 20 that is slightly off center and to the right within the pic?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewtfw View Post
Your tanks look vibrant and healthy. What is the green plant in the 20 that is slightly off center and to the right within the pic?
Looks like peacock moss or spiky moss

One month in.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
how old are these tanks? very nice
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Very nice! Your plants look great. I think my favorite is your 20g. Nice placement and selection of plants. I like the reds too!

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

They all look great. I like how vibrant and colorful they are. Great job!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewtfw View Post
It's a mixture of mosses with flame being on top and peacock or spiky or erect in the middle. I bought a ball of mystery moss.

The 46 is 1.5 years old, but I continually remove plants not growing well and plug in new plants, rather haphazardly. The 20 gallon is 1 year and the 15 is 6 months.

Here's a closeup of the moss mountain. If anyone can identify the moss I would appreciate it.

M a r k
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
beautiful tanks Mark... and the rainbow praecox too
at the moss i'm guessing spiky.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Awesome tank and great moss mountain!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
how can i miss the cherry barb in your 20 long they're beautiful!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
wow, thats colorful. the reds are very strong. the moss mountain is absolutely amazing, the moss looks very healthy.

may i suggest you up your CO2 in your 46? i like to keep CO2 at twice that, but your plants would definately benefit from just an increase to 25 ppm.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
wow, thats colorful. the reds are very strong. the moss mountain is absolutely amazing, the moss looks very healthy.

may i suggest you up your CO2 in your 46? i like to keep CO2 at twice that, but your plants would definately benefit from just an increase to 25 ppm.
I had it up but I don't take the time to keep up with ferts and developed algae issues (BBA in particular) because of the imbalance. With the level it's at I get good growth, nice colors, and no algae (other than the green fuzz which is not shrinking or spreading). I think at this level my otos and cherry shrimp can keep up.

M a r k
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

really? thats interesting. BBA is often treated by increasing CO2 and dosing excel for additional carbon (as well as its useful toxicity). but thats fine. your plants are obviously healthy and thriving.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
really? thats interesting. BBA is often treated by increasing CO2 and dosing excel for additional carbon (as well as its useful toxicity). but thats fine. your plants are obviously healthy and thriving.
I don't think I got rid of it, I just slowed everything down to the point that my cleanup crew can manage it. Except for that green fuzz...

M a r k
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

try lowering your iron dosage. algae like iron, and with all your plants so red, im sure you dose a lot. later when the algae is gone, you can slowly up your iron dosing back if your plants get a little duller, just add a few amano shrimp. cleanup crews rarely make a dent in algal outbreaks, but are amazing at keeping them from starting.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode