ajbry's Low-Tech 29G Journal (06.14.08) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
ajbry's Low-Tech 29G Journal (06.14.08)

This is my first experience with planted aquaria and I'll be keeping track of my progress as it comes along - ideally with a relative amount of success. This is a low-tech setup (I'll outline the equipment and the like in a minute). Although I have moderately high expectations, my college student budget restricts myself from going beyond the means of low-tech, and that's perfectly fine with me. I also have a 40 gallon long setup inhabited entirely by Lethrinops (a rare African cichlid species, close relatives of Aulonocara), so I can't complain at this point considering 2 very different tanks immerses myself nicely in this hobby.

As of right now (this first post), the tank has been setup for approximately 2.5 weeks. Now here are the actual details of it...

EQUIPMENT
  • Filtration: Eheim Classic 2213; Penguin 150 HOB
  • Lighting: Coralife Aqualight T5 Double Strip - 2x18w (10000K/6700K)
  • Heater: Hydor Theo 150W
  • Substrate: Mystic White Pool Filter Sand

FLORA
  • Hygrophila corombosa
  • Anubias barteri v. 'Nana'
  • Anubias nana petite
  • Microsorium pteropus
  • Echinodorus 'Rubin'
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii

FAUNA - None as of yet
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi (ARRIVING 06.18)

FERTILIZATION
  • API Root Tabs
  • Seachem Flourish (2x / week)
  • Seachem Flourish Excel (1x / 2 days)

Needless to say I'm not trying to overcomplicate things at this point. The more concise everything is, the better. I simply don't have the breadth of knowledge to manipulate anything further (particularly given my low lighting and basic dosing schedule - combined with an inert substrate).

I'm still debating on what other fish to put in the tank after the rams arrive on Wednesday, but I'm definitely in no rush. Most likely there will be a small group of otos for algae control and a small school of tetras (this stocking plan isn't exactly a novel one, but the result should be striking as it has been in many other cases).

Current water readings are as follows (via results from API test kit):
  • Ammonia (NH3): 0 ppm
  • Nitrite (NO2): 0 ppm
  • Nitrate (NO3): 5.0-10.0 ppm
  • pH: 7.1
  • Temperature: 81° F

Everything should be pretty stable and ideal for the rams when they arrive, as the seller kept them in a pH of 7.1 as well. I also threw in a handful of peat nuggets into the Eheim.

Now that you've read through that mess of erroenous information (or quickly skimmed, it don't matter to me), here's the photographic evidence that this thing tangibly exists...

All input and advice is welcomed. Thanks for checking this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:24 AM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Nice balanced 'scape! Keep doing what you're doing, and keep up on those root tabs This shoud fill in nicely!

As for your Tetra choice, try to keep it to a small or medium size fish like Glow lights, black neons or Pencilfish so you don't throw off the scale. Actually, I'm gonna vote for Pencilfish, because you just don't see them all that often Great little fish that would go nicely with Rams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Pimp Club.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
That's such an awesome set-up! I'm jealous!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
That is really nice. Can you pat yourself on the back?

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments.

roybot73: I like your suggestions, I'll have to keep those in mind. I'm definitely thinking along the lines of cardinals or green neons as well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I think Green Neon tetras are better than Neons and Cardinal. They give that green shine that Neons and Cardinals don't have. Also, if you want a pencilfish, you should try the Coral Fire Pencilfish, but it might be expensive though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:24 PM
The Circumloctioner

Green neons are sweet... I wanted them for my 60-P, but couldn't find them locally. It seems like their availability is sporadic at best (at least around my neck of the woods)...

Rams display some pretty bright coloration themselves, so you might want to keep that in mind -- it's all too easy to create a confusing impression with fish

No Pimp Club.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Chrisinator: Yup, the Green Neons definitely have a very distinct look and I think they would better compliment the coloration of the Rams.

roybot73: You're right about that, unfortunately. Although if I get my sights set on something I usually find a way to acquire it.

One more thing, I'm curious if the back right corner (empty at present) could be filled with something like Ludwigia repens, or leave it alone for the sake of balance?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:01 PM
The Circumloctioner

I'd say leave it. Those Crypts will eventually fill the space nicely...

No Pimp Club.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The rams - as anticipated - have been shipped this morning and will arrive tomorrow. I'm getting 5 (around 1.75-2") and in the coming weeks will trim that number to 2 or 3 (a trio would be awesome but I know rams like to form pairs so we'll see how it goes in that regard).

Readings are holding consistent, which is good news as the tank is about 3 weeks old now and the 2213 was seeded to begin with. Nitrates staying steady around 5.0 ppm so I'm sure the rams will be glad...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode