New Aqua One 6ft Display - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Aqua One 6ft Display

About 3 weeks ago I splashed out some money and bought myself what I've always wanted. A large 6ft Aquarium to house my Discus and other fish that match them in.

Well here are some photo's so far of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture-003.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	8344  

Name:	Picture-015.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	8345  

Name:	Picture-002.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	8349  

Name:	Picture-008.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	8351  

Last edited by white-worms; 06-12-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks, well I used to breed Discus at one time and sell them.

A bit about the aquarium setup itself. In the images you can't see the two large external canister filters that are hidden behind the doors of the cabinet. Also I have drilled the holes much larger in the spray bars to lessen the current a lot on water return. As each canister filter does 1200 Lts per hour. Which totals (2400) Lts per hour combined. I also have to air stones hidden at each end of the tank located underneath the Chinese polished stones. They are on a timer and only come on at night when all the lights go out (for the plants mainly). The lights are also on a timer system.

The water I use is filtered through a RO System first.

Fish in the tank are about 6 Cory's, 20 black neons, 10 bleeding hearts, and a few other small tetras, 2 sucking loach and 2 flying fox to help with algae control.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

hey id love to pick your brain about your discus in a planted tank. How are your water changes and how many do you keep? Im in the planning stages for my 90 and im looking at keeping only 6 to keep the bioload down. Im going low tec for the plants. Swords tank with multiple varieties. Ive read about the horrors of growing out discus. Can you give me your opinion?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Well I keep fish stocking levels very low for a 6ftX2ftX2ft aquarium setup. I've done this on purpose to help avoid having to do regular water changes like you would have to do if you had high fish stocking levels and was puttings lots of food in the tank, generating lots of fish waste.

Filteration is also another key factor. I have two very large cansiter filters that turn the tank water over about 4 times an hour, and I even have a Juwel jumbo filter that's not been installed yet (just trying to decide if the current from it will be a problem right now), as Discus like calm conditions, and not river conditions.

Heavy planting and then feeding the plants so they don't rot and pollute the water will also help remove stuff and keep your water in top condition.

But another key factor for me is feeding. All my discus eat TetraMin, DiscusBits (same as tetramin really) and flake food. Thats all I feed them and only feed what they will eat on the drop. Apart from flake food that I hold till it sinks to the bottom at the end (which they clean up in 5 minutes). And small left overs are eater by the tetras and corys etc.

By doing this and avoiding bloodworm, beefheart and other frozed foods. So I can control the pollution levels better. So foods not left on the bottom rotting away.

As far as plants go, well I'm no expert on plants by far. Basicly I have a timer to put the air pump on at night to give the plants more CO2 when the lights go out. Plus I use TetraPlant to feed them.

You will hear horror stories about discus, they are not a begginers fish to keep. But in my opinion they are the best tropical fish to own, and can be very funny to watch as youngsters. My two blue diamons fight over flake food. Really funny.

Your answer to the water changes. Because the tank have plants in and I'm feeding them one a month. I plan to do water changes about once a month over a 2 day period (25% one day - 25% the next). Maybe even less. All depends how the fish seem.

If I was breeding and growing them on in bare bottom tanks with sponge filters like Huey Hung, I would be doing daily water changes

2:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice tank!

210 g - Empty right now
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
i love the tank and i do mean the tank it's self. what is the make of the tank by the way?

can we get a picture of the filters you are using.

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very nice set up and discus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
very cool, I need a bigger place to live before I take that plunge.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
i love the tank and i do mean the tank it's self. what is the make of the tank by the way?

can we get a picture of the filters you are using.
The two filters I use came with the setup. There are called CF1200 and you can view more information about them here: http://www.just4fish.com.au/product_...product_id=421

The tank setup is called: Aquience Bow 1800 Bow Front Aquarium

And again you read more about it here: http://www.aquariumsdelivered.co.uk/...j3nr0g7vjntbi0
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the info. the most rewarding fish i ever kept were discus as a teen in my plastic plants tank (funny looking back now) I unfortunately had to sell them off when i moved to go to college and regret it ever since. I always used frozen foods and i am excited about the possibility of not doing that again if i can get results like yours with pellets. thanks for the post and sharing your ideas. I may pester you again when i get going again for more advice.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

well if you decide to go ahead and buy some discus, do yourself a favour. Ask the seller if they are wild or home bred. If there wild you might have an hard time getting them used to feeding on tetraMin or other discus pellets. Best to buy some from a breeder who has grown them on feeding flake food and tetramin.

I just sold two very large adult pigeon bloods on ebay this week, that I made the mistake of buying from my local aquatic shop. The problem was for 3 weeks I tried to get them to eat flake and tetramin, plus discusbits pellets. They would not even sniff the things. They would only eat live food and even pulled there face at frozen bloodworm.

So do your homework before you buy, and just don't take there word for it - ask them to show you them eating tetramin. My discus go mad for them. they never see the botton of the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode