35 Hex - Shrimp Mountain - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
35 Hex - Shrimp Mountain

I'm finally setting up a mountain scape in my 35 hex, planned as a shrimp tank. Not sure what type, I've only kept amanos so far. If there's any fish it's going to be a school of ottos, corydora hastatus, or some tiny boraras sp. I'll figure that out after I get it going. Right now there's 4 male floppy tails honeymooning in the tank.

I'm running a Current USA Subcurrent internal filter. It's the surface skimmer that looks like an overflow box. I really like the dual loc-line outlets and the flow rate is perfect for this tank. Good movement without laying down the plants. No heater yet, room temp is holding the water between 70-75. I will add one just to keep things more consistent.

The lighting is what could be a disaster.. I have a 150w HQI light over it with no co2. The plan is to keep the light high off the water to start, use a short photoperiod, and daily dosing of Excel to try and keep the algae at bay. If that doesn't work I might just have to get some co2 equipment.

The other concern is the rock work. They are just sitting on substrate, no rocks underneath to support them and the slopes. I'm hoping the roots hold it together. The rocks are placed pretty safe in my opinion, no crazy angles or balancing acts. Let's just hope they don't fall and shatter the side!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by prototyp3; 08-08-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
looks great i'm trying my first shrimp tank too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slowly but surly

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Love the hardscape.

What type of rock is that?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diggin it so far, can't wait to see it finished.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Thanks guys.

CobraGuppy: The rock is seiryu stone, with a piece of zebra stone. I actually wasn't very pleased with the order. The 30 pound box gave me 3 good sized rocks, and 2 tiny ones, smaller than a girl's fist. The shapes weren't remarkable, and it took the extra zebra rock to work out a decent hardscape. I can't recommend dealing with Adana-USA.com for stone, they were anything BUT helpful.

*Update*
I planted a few stems of wisteria (just for starter purposes) some short rotala green stems in the back, a small bush of stargrass, and some pearl weed in the center.

I'm not very optimistic about the pearl weed though. I had two baggies shipped to me and was only able to plant about half of one bag. It was browning and really mushy. Does it just not ship too well being so delicate? I'm going to give it a chance, but I have a feeling it will have to be pulled. I could replace it with rotala, although I wanted something different to contrast the rotala in the back. Any ideas of something smaller leaved that I can easily trim to shape? I'm trying to avoid HC. I want something that I can trim bushy to give the impression of tree tops.

I'm getting more short stems of rotala this weekend, so I'll be able to fill in some spots.

Last edited by prototyp3; 08-08-2008 at 03:49 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to metfan581
awsome!

However, there's always a however.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Looks really nice. I like the placement of the stones.

IMO I would not purchase stones over the net. You just don't know what you are getting no matter who you are purchasing from. I need to see my hardscape before I purchase.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode