MedRed "Cubed" - 30 Gallon Journal (R.I.P 01/2010) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
MedRed "Cubed" - 30 Gallon Journal (R.I.P 01/2010)

I bought this Oceanic 30 Gallon Cube last weekend. I have everything i need for it except for the plants and the wood (although I might get some big pieces of stone.) I set it up the same day with 3 bags of eco complete. This was my first time using eco complete. I will never use anything else again (pending plant growth). I hate, hate, hate washing AS and Flourite. I dumped the eco complete in the tank and filled with water. i had ZERO cloudiness within an hour. The below pictures are a little cloudy as I'd just pushed the gravel around and buried the rocks in it so see how tall they are. I have a very specific vision for this tank... I can't begin setting it up until I get the branchy wood I ordered (coming from the UK).

I'll be updating pics as new stuff comes in.

Oceanic Cube and stand (black)
5lbs CO2 Canister with Red Sea CO2 system
Eco Complete Substrate
Coralife 1x96 watt Aqualight
Marineland C220 Canister (modified intake and soon to try a RENA spray bar)
Black Jasper Rock (quartz based so completely inert)

PS... I suck at photography. The rock is not in any final configuration. I thought I'd see what it looked like under the water.

I originally wanted this tank but i thought it was too small. I bought a 40 gallon stretch hex 3-4 weeks prior. After setting up the 40... i still lusted after the 30... Here are some pics of the completed Hex. It's more of a general planted tank. I have special plans for the Cube

The fish in the net is an apistogramma panduro male that was waiting for his breeding tank to be set up. I have no idea why i took the last two pictures but thought I'd include them.

Last edited by MedRed; 03-21-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks good
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipem View Post
looks good
thanks... i can't wait to to get it rolling. This tank will be home to freshwater pipefish.

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
really like the 30 cube. how did you mod the intake of the c-220 and when you try out the rena praybar could you tell use how it works (i have the c-220 and like it just with it came with a spraybar)

also the 40 looks good

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
really like the 30 cube. how did you mod the intake of the c-220 and when you try out the rena praybar could you tell use how it works (i have the c-220 and like it just with it came with a spraybar)

also the 40 looks good
thanks!

The c220 doesn't come with an intake extension... and marineland doesn't make one for it... aack!!!!!. I poked around at the LFS and found an extension that works for it. I still need to cut some length off of it.

I also unboxed a rena and matched up the hosing to some 5/8" tubing at the LFS. It seems to be a perfect match. My concern is that visually, the Rena tubing I have looks wider than either my magnum or my c220. I guess I could measure the circumference with a paper tape measure. I ordered the spray bar assemblies anyway... My LFS is anxiously awaiting the outcome as they've been asked a few times about a spraybar for marineland products.
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
good to know, (i was acually suprised that marineland does not make spraybars for there filter, especially the c series)

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
looks great! I have the exact aquarium sitting empty for some time. I've been tempted to get it set up again and start planting it as well. <sigh> There goes more money! Must...resist....
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok... bought a couple more new rocks... I won't use all of them by any means... but I wanted enough variety to choose from.

The wood for the tank shipped today! This is the piece I decided to go with.

Not sure If I will cover the branches with Flame, Fissidens, or willow moss yet.

I'm a little worried that I may not have enough light for glosso. I have a 96 watt PC over the tank. I've never had such a low wpg in a tank that i've attempted glosso in. I may end up selling the light (and i had to order the stupid thing). I may end up with metal halide. I keep the light off all the time so I don't have to battle algae before I even get it off the ground. There are endlers in the tank at the moment. I think I'm going to stock this tank with freshwater pipefish, coral red pencils, Taeniacara candidi, Gold Aphyosemion australe, and maybe some freshwater gobies and/or dwarf crays (just found out about the dwarf crays today!).
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
willow moss 100%. loooove the look of willows.
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
what about weeping moss...?

-Chris

post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Can't wait to see the final hardscape. Beautiful piece of driftwood!
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Cobra. I will unfortunately have to center the wood... because of its dimensions. My goal is to make the sides of the tank just as viewable as the front. we'll see how this all pans out. I know it's been beat to death about glosso and light requirements... but 3 wpg makes me nervous.
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
what about weeping moss...?
That is a possibility as well.
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
don't worry 3 wpg i enough. the wood is very nice.

post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok... just bought another 96 watt coralife PC. I have some plants that have come in (thanks to those who provide the mosses). I'm just waiting on the wood so I can get started! I might hook up the CO2 tonight just to have it done.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode