ok so heres heres where the idea of the journal before the journal begins
i was looking around for my new external filter for my newly setup tank and after checking the usual places i noticed something, i could buy a whole setup for the price of a new filter. this then gave me the idea to swop from my double tank stand into one 48". after looking for a few minutes i came across a full setup with 48" tank, external filter,heater, air pump etc
now i knew i didn't have the time or cash to setup 2 tanks at once so i thought i may as well experiment with my new 48 while i am setting up the other one.
and so begins the journal before the journal!
few things i want to test out before i finish this Jb4J.
- diy co2
- plant types
- moss wall
- moss tree
my plans for each of these are as follows
i want to try different yeasts
different diffusion techniques
my first batch which i started on 28-05-08 (dd-mm-yy( i know some places do it different but this way is correct)).
2 liter pop bottle with airline tubing siliconed into the cap.
in this batch i used normal bakers yeast, which i got from a store but u can buy on fleabay.
2 glasses of ordinary sugar
a touch of bicarbonate of soda
the reason i chose this recipe was because its possibly the most simple and widely used.
for diffusion i hooked up a power head to a small 500ml pop bottle with a 16 mm hole drilled into the bottom this was situated as close to my intake as i could get
so far i have roughly 1bps ( but no way to test c02 in water.( will be getting a drop checker eventually but for now no fish so im not to scared about over dosing c02))
dual cultures (2 bottles separated by a week)
different yeasts ( such as champaign, wine etc)
possibly 5 liter bottle
for me this is the most important part to the whole thing.
ive looked at the hood that came with the tank but i just cant see me finding enough room to mod the lights
so i plan on making my own hood
here are my plans
i plan on making the support for my hood out of 2 by 2 wood
as its going to be a planted tank i want to be able to have as much access as posible that is why i have removed the front top brace you would normally see.
the little circles are where i plan on drilling. i will also be using wood glue
i then plan on covering this up with some board that is strong enough not to bend under the weight of the light fittings.
as for the actual lights i plan on trying the spiral florescent daylight energy savers.
im thinking of 6-10 of these(so i can take some out if needed) and maybe a normal aquarium bulb.
the inside of the hood will be painted glossy white but i may also source some mirror tiles.
more to come