My New Crays :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
My New Crays :)

Just got my dwarf orange crays, and they are really tiny! Here are a couple pics of them acclimating. I will get some better pics once they are settled into their new home. Aren't they cute?

Morgan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 PM

PTrader: (47/100%)
I'm getting a few too, but different species. Orange dwarf crays own!

Where'd you get them? I might me interested in buying a few.

How many did you get?
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got them from a breeder on Aquabid that I've ordered from before. She has all kinds of inverts, so I got a few more cherries too. PM me if you want her email address.

I just got two of them because they are pretty pricey. They are supposed to be a sexed pair, although I didn't look. I'm not sure that I would be able tell anyways, since they are so small. Hopefully they are a sexed pair. If not, I'm sure I would be able to work something out with the seller. I've dealt with her before and she gets an A+ in my book, great communication and she's answered alot of questions that I've had about them.

Morgan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:38 PM

I'm also breeding some too, but two different species. Let's trade up when yours and mines get to breeding.

I've been looking for the orange type of a while now.

Here's some of mines. This is just one species, the other one I'm getting in the mail soon. Dwarf Crayfish.

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll have to look them up because I'm very picky I've already got 5 tanks running, with another on the way, and this is plenty! I don't want anything that I am going to have to keep seperate. That's what I like about the orange ones, they are one of the most peaceful crays and they don't eat plants, so I can keep them in my planted tanks with my shrimp & fish.

Morgan

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOsborne05 View Post
I'll have to look them up because I'm very picky I've already got 5 tanks running, with another on the way, and this is plenty! I don't want anything that I am going to have to keep seperate. That's what I like about the orange ones, they are one of the most peaceful crays and they don't eat plants, so I can keep them in my planted tanks with my shrimp & fish.
The ones I'm keeping are similar to yours in that they're peaceful and plant safe.

You have to watch out because the seller told me if you put different dwarf crays, they will crossbreed.

The montezumae gets to be about 2" top
Shudfetti gets to be about 1.5" or about 4 cm.

Yours should be around the same size.

Shocking News:

Even though they are plant safe, I have caught some nibbling on the moss and stuff. The damage that it costs is very minimal, mainly because of their size. Maybe they were just testing it out, but I did notice some parts of the moss becoming thinner.

They are also territorial and do not like being close to another shrimp or crayfish. At least that's what I've noticed. They will chase off shrimps, but their claws are more for show than tell.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds pretty similar to these guys then. I have them in a 10 gallon with a bunch of lava rocks covered with moss, and some guppy grass. I've heard that the rocks allow them to stay away from each other easily if they want to. Its much harder for them to climb over the rocks to get to each other, than it would be to walk across the bottom of the tank. Hopefully they won't have any problems, the tank looks huge for them right now!

I wish there was more info on them so I could learn a little more about them. They are pretty rare it seems, which is good as far as selling any babies that I get. It just makes it a little more difficult to determine what is best for them.

Morgan

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOsborne05 View Post
Sounds pretty similar to these guys then. I have them in a 10 gallon with a bunch of lava rocks covered with moss, and some guppy grass. I've heard that the rocks allow them to stay away from each other easily if they want to. Its much harder for them to climb over the rocks to get to each other, than it would be to walk across the bottom of the tank. Hopefully they won't have any problems, the tank looks huge for them right now!

I wish there was more info on them so I could learn a little more about them. They are pretty rare it seems, which is good as far as selling any babies that I get. It just makes it a little more difficult to determine what is best for them.

They're just rarer in captivity but I'm very sure there's quite a lot of them out there .

I guess since we're the few that have these guys, we'll just have to make our own info. They are the cherry shrimps of the dwarf crayfish world IMO.

Does yours run like mad when they see you approach? Its hard to get a picture when they're inside the tank. My cherry shrimps practically ignore me while these guys usually do.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just went down and turned the lights on, and they didn't seem to be bothered a bit by me sticking a camera in their face. Here are some new pics. Their colors have really brightened up quite a bit, which is a good sign.

This is their new home (10 gallon)

This isn't a very good shot, but you can see both of them

This one was being pretty photogenic

Until he found a new hiding spot!

Morgan

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bump......no one likes my cool little crays?

Morgan

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Just saw the thread and I must say those are wicked cool! I may have to setup a 20L so I can get some. Out of curiosity, what do they run, ballpark?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Wow, very nice cray.

With those rocks and the small cray, your 10 gallon tank look so much bigger. If it wasnt for the huge sponge filter that is

I have a cray but it is a lousianna red cray o.O
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

LOL, I agree the 10 gallon does look huge compared to these guys

From what I've seen, they normally run about $30 each, but I've only found two sources for them. Not many people have them. I paid $70 for the pair. They aren't a mated pair, because they are too young yet, but they are a sexed pair. Hopefully I'll get some babies out of them eventually.

Morgan

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I fed them for the first time tonight, and naturally they both decided to go after the same shrimp pellet. I dropped in two tiny shrimp pellets, although they look huge compared to the crays. I finally had to take a net and seperate them, and move the one cray closer to the other shrimp pellet. Then they were both happy, because they each had their own shrimp pellet to munch on :p Here's some more pics.

This one knew there was food in the tank almost immediately!

The Staredown

Morgan

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
lol, love the tank an it's hard scape (reminds me of some reef tank or some natural out croppings you find in lake and pond)

"real cars don't have spark plugs"

Last edited by Ozymandias; 06-02-2008 at 05:59 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode