30 cube Macro Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
30 cube Macro Tank

With each new set up I am inching closer to the look of a FW planted tank. I think it will take a couple more years to achieve a similar result of a FW aquascape. The trick is sustainabilty.

30 gallon Oceanic Cube, 2 x 40watt 50/50 PC bulbs and one 65watt 10,000k PC.

Bruce
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
too bad macro algae is most often obviously just that, algae and doesnt look nearly as organized as plant growth. however, if it were, it would look weird with live rocks.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

As far as being "organized" you have a great variety of macros that look very similar to FW plants. Caulerpas have a rhizome and resemble ferns, mosses look a lot like algae and some genus share FW, brackish and SW habitats. Calcium algaes are much stiffer and more defined then most FW plants. Of course you also have dozens of flowering SW plants to choose from, seagrasses that resemble vals and sag, manatee grass that looks like hairgrass, and stargrasses that look like foreground plants.

I find it interesting that people on this site are so locked into the FW plants that they don't see that the marine plant hobby is about where planted tanks were in the 80's. Now that the FW plant tank has developed several clear methods to acheive success it seems that everything is just copied from someone else. In other words just spend the money and follow directions and you will have a beautiful planted tank.

The marine plant hobby might be that way 10-20 years into the future but it still is in the experimental stages now. That's why I find it interesting.

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox for now. Just like FW planted tanks, when done correctly, can be a thing of beauty so can SW planted tanks. SW plants offer a much bigger range of colors though.

Bruce

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've thought off & on about getting back into salt after being away from it for 15 yrs, but I don't really want to do a reef set up with corals. This gives me some ideas that maybe the way to go is with a macro tank. Thanks for the idea.

HEY! Your sleeves are wet.

"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast."-Anonymous
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
I've see at least one thread on here that was discussing simaler things and i must say i find it fascinating also. i would try if i had the experience and money with SW but for now i just doing FW (i find it can be a taend more forgiving but i could be wrong) i eventually plant to go with a small 10 gal reef tank but not yet.

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

10 gallon macro

Ozymandias

Here's a pic of my new 10 gallon macro tank. It still needs a lot of work but you can see that you do not need a lot of expensive gear for a SW nano planted tank. The filtration is an Aquaclear mini (20) and a small power powerhead with a sponge attachment.

The lighting is a 32watt 50/50 PC and two screw in 20watt 50/50 pcs. Right now there are no fish or inverts and I will be putting two blueline pipefish eventually. Not exactly high tech.

Bruce
Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode