Upgrayd’s 10 Gallon Project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Upgrayd’s 10 Gallon Project

Hello everyone! Long time lurker here ready to join in on the fun!

Background

I have just graduated from college and am settled into my new place. When moving I stumbled across my old aquarium in my parent’s attic and decided it was time to reignite my interest in the hobby. Only this time I have the money to support it! :P

Project

For my first aquarium I will be setting up a small 10 gallon All Glass tank to serve as a learning experience as I dive into the planted side of the hobby.

The plan is to grow a nice carpet of both Heminthus Callitrichoides and Micro Sword Liaeopsis around a hard scape of larger pointed rocks.

Inhabitants will be Red Cherry Shrimp, Otocinclus, and a nice school of Cardinal Tetras.

Equipment

All of the equipment that I will be using for this aquarium is second hand / old to keep costs down as I learn (mess things up!)

Lighting:

For lights I have a Coralife fixture that houses one 65 Watt 6700K bulb

Tank and Filtration:

I have a basic All Glass 10 gallon aquarium with a Penguin 170 Bio-Wheel hang-on-back filter. The filter is missing both its media bag and bio-wheel.

Substrate:

I will be using Aqua Soil ADA Amazonia along with Power Sand as per recommendation from a good friend of mine.

Co2:

I am still undecided as to what I want to do about Co2 injection. I can start with a DIY setup, go straight into a nice pressurized system or simply use the Flourish Excel product... I guess this will also be part of my learning experience via trial and error!

To Do List
  • Find or create stands for my light fixture
  • Buy or create filter media
  • Decide on Co2 options
  • Order substrate
Wish me luck and feel free to leave comments!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
I think light spilling over the sides of your tank is going to be annoying since the light fixture is larger than the length of the tank.

However, the big issue here is the intensity of that light over a 10 gallon. I have 40 watts over a 10 gallon, and CO2 and adequate fertilization are necessary. You don't discuss whether you plan on dosing at all. Without macro and micro fert dosing, I get all kinds of deficiencies due to the high speed growth from the light.

At very least, you're going to need to go with DIY CO2. You can add Excel as well, it doesnt have to be one or the other, plus excel inhibits algae growth. Pressurized is something you can pick up later on, with either a 5lb tank or a paintball setup. But definitely at least start with DIY CO2 when you set up this tank, or algae will be rampant.

Regarding your filter, I'm using an HOB filter (aquaclear) with a coarse aquaclear sponge as the first stage of filtration, then filter floss, then a bag of purigen (i love this stuff), then some ceramic bioballs that came with the filter. It works for me, and I've never had clearer, cleaner water. Of course, I've never had a canister filter either.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

I actually have that same light over a 10 gallon (36 watt version) and the light does not spill over that I can see at all. The bulb does not reach the ends of the lamp

your going to need stable co2 and have your ferts under control like frosty said.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I have the 24" Coralife 1x65w Freshwater Aqualight over a 15g tall (20"x10" footprint and 18" tall).

I replaced the stock 6700K bulb with a 55w GE 9325K bulb. The 9325K bulb has a shorter green spike in it's color spectrum. It has a taller orange spike plus it has more red too. The 9325K bulb makes the aquarium look very good.

I used Coralife's Adjustable (flip-up) Legs. These legs are great for any maintenance that you have to do. You can't use a glass top with these legs though.

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

I ending up having a bit of fun today with a side DIY project...

I am about to receive a shipment of Heminthus Callitrichoides and Micro Sword Liaeopsis in the next few days from a good friend of mine but I currently do not have an aquarium that is ready for them! So I set off to Home Depot to pick up the materials to create an
immersed growing station.

First thing i found was a nice lamp/clap kit for only $11.00:

Next I created a stand for the lamp to clamp onto:

Putting the two together... :

and we have a nice
immersed growing station!:

The two units I made side by side:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

Dang! That's very neat!!!

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

@ FrostyNYC

Concerning the length of the light… As raptor87 mentioned the bulb inside the fixture is actually shorter than the overall width of the aquarium. It does look goofy sitting on the aquarium like that and is acceptable for a ‘learning experience’ but if this was a display setup it would be totally unacceptable.

As for fertilization… At the time of posting it had slipped my mind. I will add what I decide to do on that subject later on.

@ Left C

Thanks for the link on the light fixture legs. It has given me some ideas on what I can make.
Glad you like my little lamp setups! :P

Concerning Co2...

I have decided to start off with a simple DIY Co2 setup until I do a bit more research on pressurized systems. I will be working on my DIY setup over this weekend and will be sure to add photos when I am finished.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned

I have a 10g with DIY CO2.

I use the Hagen ladder for a diffuser.

My yeast/sugar/water mix is in a 3 liter spring water bottle and I have a 24 ounce separator bottle too.

Both bottles are in a Rubbermaid mop pail.

I have just enough water in the pail so that the bottles won't float. There's a small submersible heater in this bath that keeps the water at 78 degrees.

It works well and I don't have to worry about knocking it over.

It pumps out so much CO2 that I have to run a small airstone 24/7 to keep the 4 dKH drop checker at least a lime green color instead of a yellow color.

If you decide to try this method, put a CO2 proof check valve between the "diffuser" and the separator bottle. You can also add another check valve between the separator bottle and the yeast mix container.

EHEIM PIMP #164

VICTOR PIMP #1
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Did a bit of research on the internet and hung around a nice LFS to pick some people’s brains and learned a lot today!

CO2:
I am going to create a DIY system that uses two smaller reactors. This will allow me to alternate replacement and hopefully produce a more consistent CO2 output.

For diffusion I picked up a simple wooden air stone that will be placed under the output flow from the HOB filter.

Dry Ferts:
I will be dosing the fowling 3 times a week
1/8 tsp KNO3
1/32 tsp KH2PO4
1/32 tsp K2SO4
1/32 tsp CSM+B Plantex
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
woah there. dont trust the lfs guy, his job is to sell you stuff, not teach you about it. he wont lie to you, but he will leave the bad parts out.

airstones arent the best diffusers, and HOBs are great outgassers, but since you plan to do an iwagumi aquascape, it may be enough.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode