Flip This Tank (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Flip This Tank (56k)

Well, it's been a few years since I had a planted aquarium. I had taken my neglected tank down and placed all components in the basement for storage. My neighborhood was flooded in a very negative way and I had about 6 feet of water in my basement. The tank was ruined; the lighting system was ruined my Co2 cylinder is slightly rusted (salvageable?) and my needle valve may be ruined...Que sera sera.

I ordered a 24 gal nano cube and assembled tank and stand. Purrrseus and Meatwad were alittle too curious; thus, had to be banished.

The tank and stand

The most difficult part was leveling the tank. I was able to level it in one direction (L/R); however, I couldn't get it leveled front/back without throwing off my previous work. I eventually unscrewed the feet and shimmed the tank with acrylic shims.

Next, I added a substrate rich in Iron.

Well...I actually used Flourite. I have imagined eating Flourite though. It probably is tastier and easier to digest than Grape Nuts.

This is where things get irritating! I realized that the lights equipped were 2x36w 50/50s. I ordered some 6700k bulbs and figured I'd sell the 50/50s on ebay. I received some free L. sessiliflora from someone, priot to receiving my bulbs. So, I decided to place them in the tank, without light.

(Monday) I placed my order for the bulbs and I received an email stating that my bulbs had been shipped.
(Tuesday) I placed an order for plants since my bulbs were on the way. It turns out that the online store ships plants out the next week, if placed after 5pm on Monday.
(Friday) I hadn't received my bulbs; so, I contact the online store via phone. It turns out the store didn't get their shipment of 6700k bulbs as expected. This was irritating, because I received an automatic email stating that my bulbs WERE shipped. I was told to expect an email on Monday.
(Monday) I contacted the online store via phone. Received a recording to contact by email due to high call volumes. Sent an email inquiring about shipment.
(Teusday) Sent additional email to online store.
(Wednesday) received reply "We are looking into it" (That's it..."We are looking into it"?)
(Thursday) Received plants via mail. Received no emails from "bulb store".
(Friday) Planted plants and decided to use 50/50s until bulbs arrive. Hooked up DIY Co2.

Foreground consists of HC (L) and Pogostemon helferi. The middle ground consists of Lobelia cardinalis and some Petite Anubius nana on the driftwood. I placed the driftwood towards the right side of the tank pointing towards the back. I didn't want to create a centerpiece; perhaps I should have went with a taller species.

I placed C. retrospirilis in the back right corner. I figured this would create some shade that the anubias could enjoy. The retrospirilis as smaller than I had suspected. The L. sessiflora has melted. I kept what was salvageable and planted this near the crypt for now. In a matter of a couple days it is starting to grow.

I placed the Difformis in the back left corner for now. I wanted to make a plant row with this; however, it's a little leggy now. I included a pic of an old tank, in which I used difformis to create a bushy row.

The Limnophila aromatica is not doing so well. You can see some of the plant is melting. One stem fell apart and the other two have a little bit of growth. The plant should improve when I get appropriate lighting.

I'm probably going to order additional retrospiralis and perhaps replacement L. aromatica (if a majority dies). Now we wait and let things grow in!

Last edited by NstyN8; 11-27-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I look forward to seeing this tank progress. Good luck!
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm interested to see how this turns out. I just started building the exact same tank.

Tanks: 29G - 24G JBJ Nano Cube - 10g
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference.
The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative." W. Clement Stone

Last edited by Sk8u; 06-10-2008 at 04:33 AM.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
looks nice hope the bulbs come in soon. i've always liked the look of AIO tank like th nano cubes and Biocubes. thay do make things a bit easier and have some room to DIY them

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
better off using the grape nuts

90 gal.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Algae Grower

Any updates? Did you ever get your bulbs. I just PM'd how I set up CO2 on my Nano.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8u View Post
Any updates? Did you ever get your bulbs. I just PM'd how I set up CO2 on my Nano.
Yes, I got the PM...Thanks!

I have NOT received my bulbs yet. I ordered them on the 12th of May. I was told the bulbs were out of stock. I was told they were shipped on the 21st (The confirmation stated otherwise). I've been given the run-around several times and the company returns emails rarely. The email returns I've received are extremely short with comments such as "We'll look into this" and "That's odd". Yesterday, I did FINALLY receive both bulbs; unfortunately, I was sent (2) 24w 10000k/Blue lights. The wrong bulbs!

It's been nearly a month that I've been dealing with this issue. By far, the worst customer service that I've experienced. My plants aren't doing so well. Their growth is minimum (except the anubias) and I've been dealing with algae issues. Very irritating!
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
I'm not sure where you ordered yours, but I believe AHSupply.com sells 36w bulbs. I don't know that they'd fit your hood though, but would be worth checking out! They ship out super fast.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneMore21 View Post
I'm not sure where you ordered yours, but I believe AHSupply.com sells 36w bulbs. I don't know that they'd fit your hood though, but would be worth checking out! They ship out super fast.

Yes, I've ordered parts and kits from Ahsupply.com; very professional. I ordered the bulbs from elsewhere. I'm going to probably dedicate a new thread in regards to the current service. I'll wait before posting their name though. I'm trying to give them a chance to correct things and reimburse my losses.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 AM
Algae Grower

I ordered my replacement bulbs from thatfishplace. Almost local for me but with the price of gas shipping is almost cheaper and no drive time.

The first bulb I got in 2 days. The second was on backorder for about 3 weeks. Just got it a couple of days ago. Then wouldn't you know I was just visiting my LFS and there on the shelf are 2 36W 6700K bulbs. Looks like they have been there forever.

Mine seems to be doing ok now. Trying to get the foreground to fill in. (snails are like small bulldozers) It's slow going. I'd like to dose ferts but I have shrimp in there now. Started dosing a few weeks ago and every coulple days I would find a dead shrimp.

Maybe nothing to do with the ferts but since I stopped haven't seen a dead shrimp since.

Maybe start dosing slowly and see what happens.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank has been up for 5 weeks now. I'm still having NO luck with the company that I ordered bulbs from. Horrible customer service! I keep getting "the run around"

Anyways...
At least we can study the affects of actinic lighting. The lights are (2) 24w 50/50s. The plant growth is minimal. The C. retrospirilis melted initially. It's now produced a few small, new shoots. The L. sessiliflora has grown about 3-4" in about 5 weeks time. The Difformis is growing rather low. I really didn't like the HC; so I got rid of it. The Pogostemon helferi is very small and sickly. The Limnophila aromatica isn't dead; however it looks rather weak. I obtained a few steams of R. Indica. It's slouching; yet, growing. The Anubias petite is growing and developing some nice looking roots. The topmost section became dislocated from the driftwood and sort of...fell apart. I'm on the lookout for A. petite.

I managed to get a few stems of L. repens and a half-rotted potted plant of Hygro Kompacta from Walmart (of all places).

The only inhabitants are 5 J. shrimp and a lot of snails. There's not a lot of selection in this area in regards to fish. I might have to take a "trip" elsewhere.

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I had the CO2 line in the first chamber of the 3 staged filter. Originally, I had cut a hole in the sponge and buried the CO2 line in there. I decided to change things and I drilled a hole in the pump's intake.

This worked rather well. I was able to see a change in plant growth within 1 week's time. I also cut back on my CO2 rate. I'm using DIY CO2; however, I'm probably going to go pressurized.

I had all the components for a pressurized system; but, they along with a tank, lighting and other goodies were destroyed in a flood. I have a cylinder that has some rust on it. I took a wire brush to it and I'm in the process of cleaning it up. I'm uncertain if the welding store will fill it. The needle valve looks fine. I won't know until I hook things up. The regulator is totally "dysfunctional". I could replace both gauges, I guess. The center screw is rusted though. I'm probably better off buying a whole new regulator.

After 5 weeks of fighting with the company that I tried to purchase bulbs from...I finally got a refund. I ordered 2 bulbs from AHsupply. I should get the bulbs by Monday.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I ordered (2) 36w 6700k bulbs from Ah Supply and they arrived on Monday. The lights look very yellow; probably because my eyes were use to the 50/50's. In just 3 days my L. sessiliflora has probably grown 1-2 inches. It should be interesting to see the tank thrive now. With the previous lighting, I had soft algae which was pretty easy to clean. Now I have some hard, dark stringy algae on the Lobelia. I bumped up the Co2 and I hooked up a timer for the lights. I had been running my lights for long periods.

I had ordered more C. retrospirilis. I might place it in the right rear corner; however, it might look rather strange there, a dark crypt next to dark driftwood. Maybe, I'll move it to the left rear corner. The middle of the tank looks unattractive. I have 3 stems of L. aromatica towards the rear, next to some R. roundifolia. These species look too similar to be placed together. I might get rid of the R. roundfolia, since I ordered a few new stems of L. aromatica.

Does anyone think the driftwood looks out of place?
I didn't want to place the driftwood dead center. I really don't like centerpieces; however, the tank might be visually out of balance. I have another peice that I could add to the left mid ground...the repens at that location doesn't look too apealing. I'll receive my plants on friday. maybe by then I'll have a better idea of how I want things scaped. Perhaps I should limit my number of plant species. Difficult to do with collectoritis.

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
is that one lonely red eye? he should have a couple of buddies
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank houses:

6 red eye tetras
6 Glow light tetras
3 Otos
4 J. shrimp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode