75 Gallon Tank Matures - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 Gallon Tank Matures

My not-so-new 75 gallon tank has taken about nine months to stabilize. I'm not sure why but I suspect it may have something to do with the domestic stump that was partially rotted and soil-sand mixture in the bottom two-thirds of my substrate. Heres how the tank went together.

SUBSTRATE: My wife drove by a new commercial development that bulldozed the lot level and had just dug trenches to pour concrete footers. The soil about a foot to two deep in St Charles is mostly clean clay that's brownish and I couldn't pass the opportunity to borrow a bucket or two to mix in with my sand in a 1:3 ratio. This and some leftover laterite was mixed in a 1:3 ratio with sand to make the bottom two inches of my substrate. The top inch was finished off with only sand.

DRIFTWOOD: I had an old stump of domestic hardwood that I attached to a piece of plexiglass using nylon cable ties threaded through an eyebolt and holes in the plexiglass. I left enought slack so the stump would be held on the surface of the substrate. Before doing that, however, I wire brushed, pressure washed and oven baked the stump to get rid of a much decayed matter and microscopic critters as I could within reason. It attached on the right side and has a nice cluster of Java Moss growing on it now. My oto loves to eat the stump or whatever grows on it, by the way. I suspect the stump will out last the oto, however. I also bought a big clump of some Asian wood that sinks and it's on the left side with anubias attached to it. I also have a few other bits a pieces scatter aroung to attach java moss and anubias on.

PLUMBING: Two Eheim 2026s: one with a UV sterilizer and the other with a 300 W in-line heater. The sparybar from the heater is on the left and the output from the UV sterilizer is on the left as well. There is no sparybar, just an elbow. Intakes to the filters are at the corners.

CO2: I have a five-pound tank and I feed about a bubble per second at a pressure of 18" of water into a PlantGuild reactor. It works really well and produces a lot of very fine bubbles - much finer than the ones made by my Azoo ceramic disk. Why didn't I make something in-line with my filter? I can't say for sure but the reactor I have works well and I spent the time I would have spent fitting that on an electrical panel to control the rats nest of wires.

GLASS TOP: I was a real fan of topless tanks once because you get most of you light that way. I found that I was getting a lot of dust in the tank and losing too many occupants. Plus, the cover helps control the temperature in the cooler winter months and I didn't have to top off the tank twice a week due to evaporation.

LIGHTS: Four 54W T5's in a Tek Light hood. The hood is held in place on a DIY frame that sits on the tanks rim. The frame to allows me to adjust height to get the lights out of harms way during weekly maintenance or to slide it back. I have two timer that control a pair of bulbs. The second set turns on about two hours after the first turns on. Both are on for about 9 hours every day.

FISH:
Coryodorus: 6 total with three panda that spawn weekly.
Otocinclus: I've seem two.
Moenkhausia pittieri (Diamond tetra), 9
Nannostomus beckfordi (Beckfords pencilfish), 7
Brachydanio rerio (Zebras), 3
Rasbora sp: 4
Paracheirodon innesi (Neon tetra), 7
Axelrodia riesei (Ruby tetra), 12

My zebras have died off recently. I lost 7 over the last month. Can't figure out why. My neons were fine until I introduced some that were not as healthy as I would like about six months ago. They are slowly dying off. All of the others are doing great, however.

PLANTS:
Hygorphila corymbosa angustifolia
Rotala rotundifolia
Vesicularia dubyana
Microsorum pteropus 'Windelψv'
Bolbitis heudelotti
Marsilea sp
Bacopa caroliniana
Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'
Alternanthera reineckii
Proserpinaca palustris
Anubias hastifolia
Anubias barteri nana var. Ekona
Anubias sp. two types
Lysimachia nummularia
Najas guadalupensis
Subwassertang (freshwater seaweed, whatever that is)
Limnophila aromatica
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne x willisii "Lucens"
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Cryptocoryne balansae
Phyllanthus fluitans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75gallon full view.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	8035  

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Wow! Very pretty! I love the lush, dark green with the deep burgundy accent! I also love the lacy plant close to the right side. Nice contrast in leaf shapes.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
Looks great to me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
wow your anubias hastifolia and echi parviflorus are huge. i also like those marsilea on white sand. i would add some rocks for the foreground but everything else looks great.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion. If anything, that's a shortfall because I only have one rock that is obvious and natural looking. I'm not sure how to proceed but I do have a few AA battery sixed quartz crystals laying in the sand, however. Needless to say they don't show very well in the photo. I've had photos of the diamond tetras taken with the crystals behind them. Impressive photos but I don't want to post them since they may end up published by the person that took the picture. It's way beyond my capability.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode