New setups 80 and 75g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New setups 80 and 75g

Hi guys!

I dabbled in planted tanks about 6-7 years ago and had modest success with it. Back then, I had a 55 g tank with two 55w PC, DIY yeast CO2, regular aquarium substrate and HOB aquaclear filter, which were all I could afford at the time, being a poor student. The stem plants grew quite well, but with such poor lighting and unreliable CO2 supply, I could never grow the red plants (except for red temple) and grass-type lawns.

Being still poor now :lol: , but at least having a job, I decided to go all out and set up a tank with all the bells and whistles (so now if I fail, I only have myself to blame ops: , instead of blaming the technology). So, here is the setup:

Tank: 80g with matching stand

Light: Nova extreme pro 6x54w T5 HO with individual reflectors (well, sorta)

Filter: Rena star XP 3

CO2: DIY CO2 regulator (with good needle valve bought from floridadriftwoods.com) and a 20pound CO2 tank bought from Bevco, which should last me quite a few years. CO2 is run inline (hooked directly into the filter intake).

Substrate: Aquasoil Amazonia II. I swear to god this stuff is worth more than gold. But since Erik swears by it, and Oliver Knott, the Germany planted tank God as far as I'm concerned loves it, I coughed up the money to get it. Four 11L bags are needed for my tank.

Scapin' design: by yours truly of course. But since yours truly totally lack artistic tendency, I had to look to Oliver for inspiration. If you guys have time, look through his site to see which tank I took my inspiration from

http://www.pbase.com/plantella

Still, the scape sucks big time; so I might have to just pride myself on being able to grow plants well, instead of being able to create an awe-inspring scapeb :lol:

I will also include my cousin's tank in this thread. He lives in the basement of my tank. I was his teacher in all planted tank-related matter (so proud...). His setup is identical, but his tank is 75 g (1 inch shorter than mine).

Anyhow, both tanks were set up yesterday after receiving the overnight-shipped plants from aquariumplants.com. The transaction went pretty smoothly. They have most of the basic plants and some newer/more esoteric species. Not quite as fancy as aquabotanic, but the price seems a bit more reasonable.

Enough of the babbling...

My tank

Tank and stand

My cousin's tank. The tank looks way better in person. The pic lacks the depth and blend all the driftwoods together in several big lumps

Please keep in mind that both were set up less than 24hrs ago. It will take time for the plants to grow out and make the tank look a bit better. I'll try to update the thread often.

Some plants' pics

Hot pearling actions from the HC

Potamogeton gayi

Wisteria

Free plant, does anybody know what this is? My guess is E.stellata; but I'm not sure

Rotala magenta, i.e. Rotala macandra var narrow leaf. I know this is notoriously hard to keep; but I am willing to give it a try

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
DIY regulator? Do you mean reactor?

Nice start..

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:12 AM

PTrader: (4/78%)
well thats 2 bad a-- set ups you both have there !! "drools" wish i could get a stand for my 90, .... I think you mean your cousin lives in your basement of your home' not your tank... lol, but typos are my best friend, so I get YOU !!! LOL< nice plants I also have the rotella, and it is growing well, just loosing that red, the bottom is now pink, and the tops of mine are very bright green ! still very pretty, but I probally dont have enough light, i am still in the cheapo version, (2 shop lights with plant bulbs, so its 2x40 watts, ) (( when I can get all 4 bulbs to turn on !!! AARRRGGGHHH!!) def worth putting $$ into ! and as far as co2, i am broke there 2, using the diyc02, so far, so good !!! you have 2 nice set ups here, good luck !! keep us posted, I would put a background 1 for apperance, and
2 ~~ to stop so much sunlight from coming in, can cause green algea, but your co2 probally has that covered !!! LOL, but just in case, A black backdrop does bring out all thise buetiful greens and reds, my .02 ,
GREAT JOB !!! so what are you in the hole with everything >?? may I ask>?? just trying to find out if I did it right what it could' cost me .... would love to know.. thanxs!!! arizona wow, that is a hot place to be isint it >?? its getting hot here, but no temps as high as you all get ... do you have to have a chiller>? or just keep the heat turned low>?? OR do you have a bad a-- ac system too !!! ( I am guessing the latter !!! LOL) anyway keep us posted, and thanxs for the site I am going to ck on some of thier plants now, not that I really need anything, until I can get a stand built for my 90 , and my 40 hex, i am kinda stuck.. , but my 45 planted is well stocked, and my 29 rcs tank is too !! I actually could put more plants in that one, but I cant dose too much because of the shrimp, so it has to be hardy plants that grow fine )well I guess low light plants ) and I already have a billion baby amazons in there !! I need to sell a few>>?? interested in any >?? they would be cheap, !!! lol, im linking this thread so keep up the pics and the growth !! and try to9 answer alkl my tedious questions...lmBo!!!!! I have alo9t of the same plants tell me what is the plant in the 1 pic your tank on the far right the big green one with leaflets looks oval... and did you find out what the free plant was<>>?>? I like it ALOT !!!!!!!! O one more is that green plant just one stem showing is that one of those crinums>?? 3ed from last pic..?? if it is ..wow they have one at my lfs, but its huge, and they want 25.00 for it, its worth it !! I just cant afford it now... lol ~~~~ keep us updated nice scapes, great job ~!!!!!!!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Awsome tank.Cant wait for your foreground to fill in.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! Hopefully the tanks will look more like what we envisioned when we set them up as the plants grow more.

Fshfanatic, I do mean the regulator. I basically bought a CO2 gauge from a beer maker store on the net and a needle valve as well as bubble counter from floridadriftwood and connect them up. I don't use a reactor since I run CO2 inline.

Starsunmoon, you crack me up. Thanks for pointing out the typo. He does live in the basement of my house, not my tank, LOL. The background cover is in the plan; I am waiting to find a black one.
As far as cost goes: tank and stand 500 (my cousin black 75g and matching stand cost only 325), light 350, filter 120, Aquasoil 150, driftwoods 80, plants 100 (220 for both tanks, including shipping), CO2 tank 90, CO2 regulator 80. As far as livestock goes, I am gonna put in 15 flameback bleeding heart tetras (which I got for a great deal at 3.5 buck a piece, these are very hard to come by and usually cost around 8-10 bucks), about 30-50 rummy nose tetras (3 bucks a piece) and a few Sidthimunki (spelling?) loaches to take care of the snails at 12 bucks a piece. I think that is everything. So around 1500, maybe a bit more.
I live in Utah, not Arizona, so the heat is not quite as bad. The central air AC is quite capable of keeping the house temp at 77 degrees regardless of what the outside temp is.
yeah, that one strand is Crinum calimistratum. One stalk costs me 10 bucks. Real expensive stuff there. I think the large green plant with oval leaf is Anubias, unless you refer to something else.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
Tank looks real good, can't wait to see it filled in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
sounds to me like you started out on the right foot!

-Chris

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkle View Post

Fshfanatic, I don't use a reactor since I run CO2 inline.
Good deal. What do you mean inline?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
awesome tank!!! nice start!

EHEIM PIMP CLUB MEMBER #289
75g - Eheim 2213 - Magnum 350 - Pool Sand - Root Tabs -2.5 wpg - 10lb Pressurized CO2

Journal:

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
Great tanks, Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, it has been two weeks since I set this up.

I am glad to report that the tank is doing well. There are some thread alage; but nothing that water change + an army of 10 amano shrimps, three siamese alage eaters and one albino bushynose pleco couldn't take care of. The growth has been good (if I do say so myself), and the pearling has been extreme!

Here are some pictorial updates. I did some light trimming prior to taking pics. I have to change the angle of the pics in order to avoid the imprint of the bright window in front of the tank.

I also have some questions for the experts out there:

1. I run the CO2 directly into the cannister filter intake at 1 bps. The CO2 dissolves completely (no microbubbles blowing out of the outflow). However, about two or three hours after the lights go on, when the pearling starts to get intense, the filter blows out lots of microbubbles.

My first thought was that the filter sucks in the oxygen bubbles that form from photosynthesis (i.e. pearling), chops them up and blow them how. However, this phenomenon doesn't change even when I lower the intake to the gravel level to avoid the bubbles getting in.

My second thought is as pearling getting intense, the oxygen dissolves in the water to the level of saturation and that somehow makes CO2 less soluble.

So what do you think? and any suggestions to fix this problem?

2. I use the PMDD method with Mag sulfate, potassium sulfate and plantex B (no nitrate or phosphate addition). From what I read, once you dose it to get to the desired iron level, then everything else will fall in place. My question is whether the iron in plantex B is enough? The store where I bought the dry ferts also offer chelated iron alone, which I bought; but it seems like I don't even need this.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It has been three weeks since the tank was up and running.

Here are some new pics. I am still playing around with my camera to get a good FTS. It looks way better in person than in the pics.

Stargrass closeup

Spectacular Rice paddy herbs -- I can't believe this is the same herbs that we use in almost all fish-related dishes

A blurry pic of my rummy nose tetras. These have to be my favorite freshwater fish

P.gayi closeup

Full tank shot

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Its coming along nicely

Is there a scientific name for the rice patty herb? It looks really beautiful with its long leaves.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Whoa! That's such an awesome tank!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Harry,
The rice paddy herb is Limnophila aromatica, var hippuroides. They are supposed to be red, but mine is no where near that color (very pretty still though). I'd better buy an iron test kit to see what the iron level is because high iron supposedly helps with the red color.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode