New pics of my 210 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
New pics of my 210

Just added new plants. A couple have came out during the evening, so I will replant later (don't feel like taking a bath yet LOL). Currently getting over BBA issue, but excel and my fish are eating the heck out of it now I have a bunch of Jungle Vals and Dark Red Jungle Vals which are small (and of course the tank dwarfs) for background, just waiting to start growing in.

FTS

If you look closely, you can see the tail of my gold nugget pleco in the wood.

One of the larger anubias flowering (have about 5 flowers in the tank currently)

Random shots

210 g - Empty right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Looks fantastic! Nice work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Really nice tank. It reminds me of my 55G when I first set it up (lot of anubias). I am sure it will look extra sweet when it grows in.

I also really like the fish you have picked.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
A lot of abubais. have you thought about a ground cover? What is your perspective for the plant plans? Can we have more information? like what is you lighting? are you dosing ferts? co2? Just a bit of information so we can help you some more.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No ground cover plans. Want to keep some substrate exposed, my loaches are playing in it.

210 Glass Aquarium w/ Stand (black)
Aquariumplants.com Freshwater Substrate
72" Orbit 4x96W SunPaq w/Lunar Lights/Fan(Current) - 6700k/1000k
Eheim 2180 Thermo Filter
Drs. Foster & Smith's Deluxe Fully-Automatic CO2 System (ph controller not hooked up - using timer right now)

Ferts will happen, just not sure which to buy yet. Or when/how much to dose.

210 g - Empty right now
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (104/100%)
that looks great mike.. I really like your rainbows too!

I might have some corkscrew vals that would look good in there.. maybe a red tiger lotus too. my corkscrew vals are already putting out runners. let me know

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
www.RexGrigg.com is a good place to read up on ferts and dosing. Or check out the sticky at the top of the water parameters forum for some dosing guidelines, or check out Chuck Gadd's calculator http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm.

Keep a spare brain handy to squeeze everything into so you can turn around and cram some more in, that's the way I always feel when I start getting into chemistry anyways

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
Tank looks great but im surprised no one has stated this so far, that your anubias are not supposed to be planted in the substrate. If covered in substrate it will eventually rot and die completely. Anubias are like java ferns, do best when tied to something.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The anubias rhizomes are barely covered, and I will expose them once the roots grab hold. I personally have never had any issue with them being buried like this for close to 3 years (old tank).

210 g - Empty right now
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (104/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk828 View Post
Tank looks great but im surprised no one has stated this so far, that your anubias are not supposed to be planted in the substrate. If covered in substrate it will eventually rot and die completely. Anubias are like java ferns, do best when tied to something.
this statement isn't true... they will die if you cover up the rhizome.. but will grow just fine in the substrate. yes the do grow better tied to driftwood.. but can be successfully grown in substrate. my father did it for 20 yrs.. and I have never had any tied to driftwood and they grew fine. I have petite and they are planted in substrate growing fine too.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got some java fern growing on soilmaster in a ten gallon tank because it grew there. It shows no sign of a problem. I've also seen bobitus and anubias that would over fill a 10-gallon tank that's grown on substrate. I tend to beleive that the attachment thing to wood and rock may have more to do with art than growing the plant. These are bog plants. I can't imagine they wouldn't ever grow in soil in the wild.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 01:32 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedobarb View Post
this statement isn't true... they will die if you cover up the rhizome.. but will grow just fine in the substrate. yes the do grow better tied to driftwood.. but can be successfully grown in substrate. my father did it for 20 yrs.. and I have never had any tied to driftwood and they grew fine. I have petite and they are planted in substrate growing fine too.
i would think that the statement "they grow better on driftwood" is mostly true because they are closer to the light, but i always thought that anubias could absorb nutrients with their roots...

-Chris

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
Beautiful

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
but i always thought that anubias could absorb nutrients with their roots...
I have an anubias on my driftwood, and its roots have left and gone done towards the substrate.

210 g - Empty right now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode